Would we be ready for The Championship?

Is it really 24 years ago (1996) that we were last in the position of winning promotion to the second tier?!

Is it really 24 years ago (1996) that we were last in the position of winning promotion to the second tier?!

Yes got to be as I started supporting in mid 90s and can only remember us being in the second division once. Rest of the time was in division 3 and a downward spiral to the conference.

Millwall are an interesting case to me. They didn't look any great shakes at all when they went up, making a decent enough fist of it though.

Anyone know what their spending has been like?

Yes got to be as I started supporting in mid 90s and can only remember us being in the second division once. Rest of the time was in division 3 and a downward spiral to the conference.
'96 to '99 in the 2nd tier. Then things went very wrong very quickly! ?

'96 to '99 in the 2nd tier. Then things went very wrong very quickly! ?

Memory is a bit vague back then. So it's. 21 years since we were in the championship (1st division)? Even radio Oxford said 24 years the other day.

What players are ready for the step up to the championship should we be lucky enough to get past Wycombe on Monday.....
Yes - Eastwood
Yes - Dickie
Yes - Moore
Yes - Gorrin
Yes - Brannigan
Yes - Browne (not our player)
Yes - Sykes
Yes - Woodburn (when fit but not our player)
Maybe - Atkinson (on loan at Eastleigh, So we don’t really know if he his good enough)
Maybe - Thorne
Maybe - Ruffles
Maybe - Taylor
Maybe - Hanson
Unlikely - Long (inconsistent)
Unlikely - Henry (legs & pace)
Unlikely - Forde
Unlikely - Agyei (Although a possible impact player)
No - Mousinho (would be ideal as a coaching role)
No - Hall (run out of chances)
No - Mackie (again, would be ideal to have a round the squad for motivation)
A lot of work ahead with a victory at Wembley....
Maybe we could poach some of our players back from the 2016 promotion season, Roofe, Callum, Lundstram, Baldock, Dunkley and Jonjo Kenny, all have held their own in better company...
Can’t agree about Long I would put him in the Maybe category he was immense on Monday and had played some good games since he took over from Cadden

A mate of mine is a Brentford fan - similar ground size and following to us, and until recently they were League One stalwarts. They've been in the Championship for a few years now and are currently in the playoffs places. So if they can do it, why can't we?

Sure we'll have to improve our squad a bit, but by being in the Championship that means you can attract a higher quality of player.

Also if you end up selling players who are performing in the Championship then the transfer fees seriously jump up...

but let’s get past Wycombe first, it will be a tough game..

Memory is a bit vague back then. So it's. 21 years since we were in the championship (1st division)? Even radio Oxford said 24 years the other day.
24 since we got promoted to tier 2, and 21 since we dropped back down.

• React
Reactions: m
This the best possible season to get promoted, we know league one, and those clubs are going to be desperate and releasing good players, get promoted and we can pick off the cream and build a decent team to fight in a relegation battle, if we go down we will have a good team to try and come back up again.

It’s a shot to nothing as they say in Snooker, why anyone would prefer to stay in league one at this time is beyond me, the championship will definitely run next season, who knows about lower league football.

This is our best chance to go up and who knows when we might get into this position (promotion or play-offs) in L1 again.
The teams coming down from the Championship are likely to be strong, and there will still be Sunderland Ipswich Portsmouth Fleetwood Peterborough all going for it next year too.
The owners and managers and coaches here are now well established, so we aren't looking at a situation of a change of owner and then manager who wants a clean sweep of backroom staff and players.

So short of a new billionaire owner wanting to really splash the cash, there isn't a better time to go up. Also covid might mean some teams struggle next season in the Championship when ordinarily they would be OK.

But as others have alluded to money will be tight there may also be a wage cap I think 2.5 million is being handed about a bit so they maybe big clubs but there will be a lot in L1 who will be on an even keel with the big clubs

This the best possible season to get promoted, we know league one, and those clubs are going to be desperate and releasing good players, get promoted and we can pick off the cream and build a decent team to fight in a relegation battle, if we go down we will have a good team to try and come back up again.

It’s a shot to nothing as they say in Snooker, why anyone would prefer to stay in league one at this time is beyond me, the championship will definitely run next season, who knows about lower league football.
I’ve yet to see anyone at all who says they would prefer to stay in L1.

As it’s very likely that at least part if not all of next season will be played behind closed doors will the increase incoming from the championship of set the loss of revenue from empty stadiums?

As it’s very likely that at least part if not all of next season will be played behind closed doors will the increase incoming from the championship of set the loss of revenue from empty stadiums?

It'll be less of an issue for us than it will be for the bigger teams surely? Losing the revenue of 10k supporters a fortnight vs losing revenue of 30k supporters a fortnight. Plus the iFollow service seems to be streaming games during closed doors, so I'm assuming that would provide increased revenue. I don't know if it would do a video streaming subscription to UK supporters, or if it would be a match pass on a game-by-game basis.

Back
Top Bottom