The championship

There is no direct relationship necessarily between wage bill and team performance of course. Take the West Ham game as an example.

Team spirit, good coaching and astute contract negotiating can often trump throwing cash at players. Sounds like Sheffield United are a good example of that approach.

When you watch Championship football on TV, you have to say that there is still a vast gap between it and what we display. The players are definitely better in most cases. Not sure I’d want to see us keep losing week on week.
I’m pretty sure that Tiger left Reading because he said he couldn’t fund a Championship side.
I like the idea of going up but it’s nice to be in a league we’ve got a chance to be competitive in.
Also as a long term Oxford fan you just know it’s going to go t*ts up anyway, so why am I concerning myself with it ?

When you watch Championship football on TV, you have to say that there is still a vast gap between it and what we display. The players are definitely better in most cases. Not sure I’d want to see us keep losing week on week.
I’m pretty sure that Tiger left Reading because he said he couldn’t fund a Championship side.
I like the idea of going up but it’s nice to be in a league we’ve got a chance to be competitive in.
Also as a long term Oxford fan you just know it’s going to go t*ts up anyway, so why am I concerning myself with it ?

Simply because the powers that be have already started taking the game away from the genuine fans and without hope and some belief there is nothing left as a fan.

When you watch Championship football on TV, you have to say that there is still a vast gap between it and what we display. The players are definitely better in most cases.
Really? Vast gap? That's not what I have seen in the Championship (or are youb referring to the top Championship sides?)
Dunkley, Rothwell , Marvin Johnson , O Dowda are regulars in the Championship.
Brannagan, Dickie, Gorrin, Cadden, Fosu, Henry Taylor in my view could play at a decent Championship level ( and a few more). They are better in my view than those mentioned above.
Millwall, Charlton, have gone up from the play offs on recent years and have hardly massively rebuilt. Vast difference?

There is no direct relationship necessarily between wage bill and team performance of course. Take the West Ham game as an example.

Team spirit, good coaching and astute contract negotiating can often trump throwing cash at players. Sounds like Sheffield United are a good example of that approach.

Actually there's a great chapter in this book (which is a goldmine for Stattos):

that does a statistical analysis, and shows that there is a massive correlation between a club's wage bill and where they finish in the football pyramid.

Of course that doesn't mean that each season everyone finishes in order of how much they spend - but it does mean that the Sheffield Uniteds, Accringtons and - at the other end of the scale - Sunderlands are exceptions to the general rule.

No reason why we can't be an exception as well for a while, as long as we keep getting good on-field management. But eventually, we're going to have to sort out the stadium situation to enable us to better maximise our revenue opportunities, if we're going to sustainably move up the pyramid.

That quote is from a 1957 cartoon by Allen Saunders. As usual, there's nothing original from Lennon.

I thought I was on dangerous ground with that. I figured the worst thing that could happen is learning who really said it. :ROFLMAO:

Certainly you can find an example in football to disprove just about anything, but wage bills are a bloody good predictor (the Soccernomics guy says the correlation between variations in league position and wage bill is about 90%). Every club in the league will be looking to build a similar advantage in team spirit, coaching and negotiating and it is bloody tough to get right. I guess that sensible contracts would be particularly vital if we were to get a 'surprise' promotion though, given the high chance that we'd struggle the year after.

Personally, I think any year in which we finished 20th in the Championship would be a decent year until there is a step change at the club.

Anyone who thinks we're going to get into the Championship and then immediately rocket up that league and challenge for promotion to the Premier League is likely a bit delusional. I think you're right in saying that we need to sort out the stadium before we can compete on an even footing with 90% of the current Championship clubs. We would almost certainly end up in a similar situation as Luton are in now.

But would that really be a bad thing? Yes, they got thrashed today - but they're still outside the bottom three. They're in a relegation scrap, sure - but they're by no means doomed. And they're getting regular crowds of 10k as they get to face off against a host of big, traditional clubs.

After where we've been for the past twenty years, it frankly sounds like a lot of fun to me.....

If you have a decent core of a squad and added a couple of quality signing there's no reason why Oxford couldn't hang in the championship. It's also a weird league where it is possible for anybody to go up or down look at Stoke. They've spent close £100m they haven't been out the bottom 3. Plus look at blackpool they had a run in the prem Bloomfield Road only hold 16k

Back
Top Bottom