Chairman Winding up order served by Kassam

If the owners of oufc said they would finance a new stadium at peartree (or similar site) if given permission, but would not subsidise the club going forward. How would we react to this?

Unless I’ve missed it, still no acknowledgment from the board on the official club website of the latest winding up order (4th since Thanakarnjanasuth became owner)

I haven’t seen a winding up petition from firoka either. But I’m not a journalist who knows how to verify these things.

My post is referring to what I think the club should be aiming for at the end of the contract with Firoka, the club being OUFC, with either the current, next, or any subsequent ownership. I completely agree with you that Kassam won’t let us get out of the contract, and it would be stupid for the club to try and do that. Even if we mutually agreed to leave before the end so he could redevelop the land, he’ll probably still want to screw us over, based on his previous behaviour.

You’re right in saying that there are serious finance problems at present which need to be addressed first, so this is pie in the sky if we can’t get through this period. And it’s obviously not going to be cheap to build a new ground, wherever it is. But we’ve had several chairmen who have tried to make things work financially and haven’t been able to. I believe the chief reason for this is the position the club is in with the ground.

I’m taking it at face value from another poster that the league wouldn’t sanction us playing at Wycombe as it’s too far away. And also that Oxford City isn’t an option because of the artificial pitch. With regards the city council and a new site, they are generally considered to be somewhere between disinterested and useless. Staying put and renewing at the current stadium, IMO, would be the end for the club.

What other options does that leave beyond trying to find a home outside of Oxford but still within Oxfordshire?

Definitely see where you're coming from.

It's probably a bit of a romantic notion but I would really love us to get into bed with either the council or Oxford Brookes, some entity that's more stable and long-term opposed to overseas owners or those with property development aspirations.

Some kind of ground that incorporates housing to fit in with council plans or a ground that backs on to a new uni development perhaps supporting some sports related studies/degrees.

Unfortunately a lot of football club owners now are overseas consortiums or similar without a connection to the area a club resides in.

It's all a bit depressing really.

Kassam has us under the cosh but there is no real viability of buying us out to current or future owners until we run down the current arrangement.

I’m taking it at face value from another poster that the league wouldn’t sanction us playing at Wycombe as it’s too far away
Whoever posted that is wrong. Coventry City decamped to Northampton Town for a season, 34 miles away.
Oxford to Wycombe is 27 miles.

Yeah I know, I was being facetious. As our committed leader I’m sure he at least checks the Thai equivalent to ceefax from time to time to check how his ‘beloved’ Oxford United are doing. That’s if it doesn’t clash with Grand Designs or whatever his favourite program is..
As a football person tiger is very passionate about the club, the rest of the stuff is just bollox

Last two clubs? Reading and who else?

Doesn’t make him a fit chairman or knowledgeable about football business does it, most fans are passionate but you wouldn’t want them running the club.

Perhaps the Sky Blues could ground share with us, would half the rent /service charge, Shirley?

Like it did when the egg chasing plastic taffs ground shared with us? Only one beneficiary in this scenario I'm afraid - yup, Ol' Fizza

We are now a year into Tiger’s ownership and I can’t remember a time since 1999 that the club’s very future has been more uncertain.

The warning signs were there before he came in and these were certainly raised by Myles myself and others. Since the takeover we still don’t know what the plan is or the roles of directors or the shareholding breakdown. 4 winding up orders later, a huge bill to Firoka to do with settling arbitration, broken promises on ensuring no further funding issues will arise and the team spending most of the season in or around the relegation zone with this now being a perilous position at this stage of the season. Promises to OxVox have clearly not been kept and communication with the fans is appalling. Ultras have disbanded, attendances dropped and anger now showing on the terraces. It’s about as bad as it gets.

I’ve not hidden my concerns on Tiger and sadly this has proved justified. I will never understand why this time last year OxVox didn’t take Darryl to task more over his actions and about concerns raised about Tiger. Especially as it was known Sartori was still interested even after Darryl stepped away from a deal right as due diligence was closing. So, it’s not like there wasn’t still another option on the table that clearly had credible funding behind it. The winning bid may have been in Darryl’s best interest but I question now and then how anyone could say it was in the club’s best interest. Certain quarters were even continuing to praise Tiger in the summer despite these key questions not being answered months into his ownership. Comments like “I don’t get the negativity” were truly baffling.

So now we find ourselves in a desperate situation. We have hard debt, no asset in terms of a ground, a failing team on the pitch, huge running costs and a licence agreement that’s winding down and a poisonous relationship with our landlord. Who would want to take on a club with substantial debt, running costs that can’t be mitigated by playing sales (as funds go to the previous owner) and the huge issue of stadia. For the first time since 1999 there’s a real chance in my view that administration or worse is a realistic possibility.
If this club goes under it’s not like anyone on the board is locally based or has an affinity with Oxford and business-wise it’s not exactly a sensible investment.

So for me there’s no point OxVox making any more statements showing it’s frustration with the current ownership. They need to show enough is enough and there’s no point in communicating with a board that makes promises it doesn’t keep and doesn’t answer the key questions. The relationship is one sided. OxVox has done everything it can to try and make that relationship work but they are being strung along.

Our club is now a laughing stock and in serious danger. The time for talking is over. There needs to be a constructive movement to demand change. We never had a supporters’ trust last time we were in this much trouble and FOUL had to be created. We have one now and I hope they will lead public cries demanding a change of ownership and any necessary protests to show this ownership that Oxford United fans won’t accept the club’s image being dragged through the mud and it’s very existence put at risk.

Tiger needs to know how he’s run this club is not acceptable and our community deserves and demands better. He clearly can’t provide that so he needs to let someone else do so. We as fans need to call for someone with the club’s interests at heart to attempt to takeover the club before we face the very real prospect of not having one.

I’d hope OxVox are up for this battle but if not then the creation of a group like FOUL may well be necessary. If that’s the case can I ask on here if others have the appetite to recreate FOUL?

We need to unite now as a fan base and fight to ensure we still have a club to support before it’s too late.

Back
Top Bottom