League One Wigan Athletic

As Unification says, they’re a boom-and-bust club. The only way to stop clubs going down this path is to expel them from the league. I know we’re backed by generous owners and could be as susceptible as most other clubs, but there comes a time when one must realise these are businesses and if You don’t operate professionally you die.
Bury played with fire many times before the bust happened. I remember one summer they spent ridiculously lavishly for a club their size, they signed Mags that summer.

Bolton didn't go out of business, they continued in the Lg although the FL share transferred to a new company iirc.

Out of business would be out of the Lg, after losing their FL share, with a probably AFC starting up in the North West Counties or maybe slightly higher up the pyramid. This is what has happened with Bury after their 2 AFCs' (even if it now operates under the original Bury name) merged.
Not quite the case, there hasn't been two AFC's.

The original Bury FC, were expelled from the EFL, but were never liquidated, therefore allowing 'Bury FC' to continue to exist in name only in the background with Bury Football Club Supporters Society taking ownership of the trading name of Bury FC and of Gigg Lane.

Whilst separately, Bury AFC was formed as the phoenix club by Shakers Community Society and were the only club to be playing football.

The two concepts have now merged and will compete under the Bury FC name (all management/players etc were playing for the phoenix club last season). Because of the merger, the seasons completed by the phoenix club will be amalgamated into the history of Bury FC.

Does this mean that MKD could get a reprieve?

I think they would have to expel Wigan from the league in the next nine days for MKD to get a reprieve, wouldn't they?

They're not going to change the make-up of the divisions after the new season's fixtures come out.
League One would just end up playing with 23 teams, as we did a few years ago........

Not quite the case, there hasn't been two AFC's.

The original Bury FC, were expelled from the EFL, but were never liquidated, therefore allowing 'Bury FC' to continue to exist in name only in the background with Bury Football Club Supporters Society taking ownership of the trading name of Bury FC and of Gigg Lane.

Whilst separately, Bury AFC was formed as the phoenix club by Shakers Community Society and were the only club to be playing football.

The two concepts have now merged and will compete under the Bury FC name (all management/players etc were playing for the phoenix club last season). Because of the merger, the seasons completed by the phoenix club will be amalgamated into the history of Bury FC.

Tbf, I was using the AFC prefix as a shorthand. Although Bury FC, whilst the name continued, it is effectively a new organisation albeit with the spirit/ground of the FL entity.

On this occasion, the EFL have acted as they said they would. A hard deadline was set, Wigan failed to meet it, they've been deducted points.

A lot is chucked at the EFL but in recent years they have got their act together. The directors' test is a lot stronger and we have to remember that they are administering for 72 clubs whereas the PL only has to look out for 20. They have fewer resources.

As for Wigan, it's hard to feel sorry for them. They should have bottomed out in 2020-21 when they finished 20th in League 1, staying up by a point, which would have been the wake up call they needed. In the end, it was the same old story that Bury faced in that they threw money they didn't have at getting promoted the season after. Wigan have been boom-and-bust for too long, especially since Dave Whelan left. I don't want to see them fold or anything, but they need to made an example of. You can't keep in that cycle of hoping another white knight is on the horizon.
Agree with this. Recall them getting pelters last summer for refusing to allow Chris Kirchner to purchase Derby County, from Derby fans especially. 'Our club's going to die,' etc. A year on and Derby have what appears to be a good new owner, the club is back on its feet and Kirchner's been done for fraud and faces 20 years behind bars.

I remember when he was the waiter from some shit merican program. Bald as a coot.

Im not sure if it has already happened but I think Wigan should be hit hard when it comes to signing players they surely can't keep going on spending spree and then nearly bust

Im not sure if it has already happened but I think Wigan should be hit hard when it comes to signing players they surely can't keep going on spending spree and then nearly bust
This wasn't anything to do with a spending spree. This has been caused by completely dodgy, arguably corrupt owners simply not having the money or not wanting to put the money in.

The question is how did these owners end up passing the EFL regs to become owners and why were they the best options on the table at the time, especially off the back of the previous issues that Wigan have faced in the last 5 years.

This wasn't anything to do with a spending spree. This has been caused by completely dodgy, arguably corrupt owners simply not having the money or not wanting to put the money in.

The question is how did these owners end up passing the EFL regs to become owners and why were they the best options on the table at the time, especially off the back of the previous issues that Wigan have faced in the last 5 years.

They spent something like £30m according to their own forum. They were supposed to spend that over 2 or 3 years but ended up doing it in about a year.

Current score today is Bolton 0 Wigan 4. That's the points deduction wiped off already. Looks like the boom and bust cycle is set to go on again...

Current score today is Bolton 0 Wigan 4. That's the points deduction wiped off already. Looks like the boom and bust cycle is set to go on again...
And Bolton themselves had looked pretty freescoring themselves so far :oops:

Though it does seem like today was a bit of a freak result. Bolton had 63% possession and outshot Wigan 18-11.

Not arguing that Wigan are necessarily being responsible - but you look at the players they've lost this summer vs. the players they've signed, and they have clearly trimmed their wage bill.

But they've still got one of the best strikers in the division in Wyke......

Tbf, the new Wigan owner is cutting back on his own accord hence the likes of Will Keane and James McClean going along with others. I think he is looking to trim/change the squad so that the wage bill is something like £6m from what I've read (but could be wrong). Wigan will also make some savings from sharing some functions with Wigan Warriors.

Though it does seem like today was a bit of a freak result. Bolton had 63% possession and outshot Wigan 18-11.

Not arguing that Wigan are necessarily being responsible - but you look at the players they've lost this summer vs. the players they've signed, and they have clearly trimmed their wage bill.

But they've still got one of the best strikers in the division in Wyke......
I watched the game ans it wasn't a freak result. They played well and scored some decent goals. Stats dont tell the story

Back
Top Bottom