League One Wigan Athletic

According to an article in The Athletic, the 125% figure that was supposed to be lodged into that account would have been approximately £2.25m for a 4 week period.

They'll probably get treated like Bolton, they've been in the Premiership.

Substantive process would have to have been made I reckon as they've already started a season whilst in admin. I'm not sure even the FL could justify letting them start a season in admin again within so few a seasons.

Also, they are a week late with the salaries for June already and the owners haven't responded to those running the club, on a day to day basis, about any money forthcoming to pay them. It really should be another 3 points deduction, regardless of any bids.

Substantive process would have to have been made I reckon as they've already started a season whilst in admin. I'm not sure even the FL could justify letting them start a season in admin again within so few a seasons.

Also, they are a week late with the salaries for June already and the owners haven't responded to those running the club, on a day to day basis, about any money forthcoming to pay them. It really should be another 3 points deduction, regardless of any bids.
I'm not saying they should, but that they probably will let it run on and on.
EFL should be setting deadlines and sticking to them.

And their players now walk over breach of contract

I'm not saying they should, but that they probably will let it run on and on.
EFL should be setting deadlines and sticking to them.

Hopefully albeit it is worru=ying they have been quiet since the additional 4 points and no mention of the unpaid wages.

I think the ones they wanted to keep or keep hold of to sell got paid in May.
That’s a bad bit of business if that were true.
I think they should be relegated again and sad to say but the fakes would get a reprieve. I wouldn’t put it past Winkleman to be contemplating some sort of statement to the EFL if things at Wigan go further awry.

That’s a bad bit of business if that were true.
I think they should be relegated again and sad to say but the fakes would get a reprieve. I wouldn’t put it past Winkleman to be contemplating some sort of statement to the EFL if things at Wigan go further awry.

If Wigan don't get themselves sorted, it wouldn't be relegation but out of business I suspect and I don't think Dongs would get a reprieve especially if it gets as far as the court date with HMRC.

If Wigan don't get themselves sorted, it wouldn't be relegation but out of business I suspect and I don't think Dongs would get a reprieve especially if it gets as far as the court date with HMRC.
The only issue I have with your post is the out of business, as another poster pointed out the comparison with the Bolton/ Bury situation.

The only issue I have with your post is the out of business, as another poster pointed out the comparison with the Bolton/ Bury situation.

Bolton didn't go out of business, they continued in the Lg although the FL share transferred to a new company iirc.

Out of business would be out of the Lg, after losing their FL share, with a probably AFC starting up in the North West Counties or maybe slightly higher up the pyramid. This is what has happened with Bury after their 2 AFCs' (even if it now operates under the original Bury name) merged.

Last edited:
The EFL aren’t fit for purpose

On this occasion, the EFL have acted as they said they would. A hard deadline was set, Wigan failed to meet it, they've been deducted points.

A lot is chucked at the EFL but in recent years they have got their act together. The directors' test is a lot stronger and we have to remember that they are administering for 72 clubs whereas the PL only has to look out for 20. They have fewer resources.

As for Wigan, it's hard to feel sorry for them. They should have bottomed out in 2020-21 when they finished 20th in League 1, staying up by a point, which would have been the wake up call they needed. In the end, it was the same old story that Bury faced in that they threw money they didn't have at getting promoted the season after. Wigan have been boom-and-bust for too long, especially since Dave Whelan left. I don't want to see them fold or anything, but they need to made an example of. You can't keep in that cycle of hoping another white knight is on the horizon.

As Unification says, they’re a boom-and-bust club. The only way to stop clubs going down this path is to expel them from the league. I know we’re backed by generous owners and could be as susceptible as most other clubs, but there comes a time when one must realise these are businesses and if You don’t operate professionally you die.

Back
Top Bottom