League One Tinpot Reading

Wandering Yellow

I genuinely don't know how it's possible how we have a better average away attendance this season where we have been mostly terrible, than Reading having one of their better seasons in recent years.

Why are they so tinpot? Reading is a pretty big place, they've been in the top two divisions for years, decent catchment area? They seem to get more in the Madejski than us (as they should) but they don't exactly travel well. This is because for many of them they're plastic fans where Man Utd and Chelsea are their "main team"

Anyone got any theories on how Reading continually manage to be so tinpot?

*This thread is just for fun and not very serious.

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-08 at 21.06.54.jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-01-08 at 21.06.53.jpeg

Once we get our new stadium reading along with Swindon will be in our shadow until then tho reading are the (I don't want to say bigger team ) but currently they must be

I agree. Even when Oxford played at the Madejski, the home crowd seemed a bit vacant, particularly as it’s supposed to be a derby.
I don’t think they’ve had real support from the majority or fans, who only care about Reading FC, since they moved from Elm Park.
I imagine most of their home fixtures have a similar feel to the MK stadium, who I think have a similar problem.

I agree. Even when Oxford played at the Madejski, the home crowd seemed a bit vacant, particularly as it’s supposed to be a derby.
I don’t think they’ve had real support from the majority or fans, who only care about Reading FC, since they moved from Elm Park.
I imagine most of their home fixtures have a similar feel to the MK stadium, who I think have a similar problem.
How they can have a bigger stadium, bigger home crowds, better division, and still take less away than us when we're playing crap amazes me. They are a diet MK Dons.

Ah I miss a reading v Oxford game.. first port of call ,the jolly porter 😂alas gone now..

A bit off topic. But surprised Millwall's is so low. Maybe a lot of them go in with the home supporters? :confused:

If/when we both have a new stadium and are in the Championship, we will be unarguably bigger than Reading.

If/when we both have a new stadium and are in the Championship, we will be unarguably bigger than Reading.

Reading fanbase only rocketed when they got to the premier league, I remember all the kids in Didcot and alot in Abingdon were sporting Reading kits. But when they dropped down into the championship these kids reverted back to wearing Liverpool, Man U kits.

I would say we have a bigger die hard fanbase (I mean fans who only have 1 club they support and would attend even if we were non league) Sw*ndon are also bigger than Reading in the same way.

I don't have a problem with Reading. To some extent they have shown what should have been with Oxford. They had a rich fan take over in the 1990's, who built a complete stadium and took them to the top division. Our rich fan who took over at approx the same time, unfortunately, had nowhere near as much money and the rest is history. No one can deny that Reading fans have seen a lot higher level over the last 25 years and given a choice of Conference football here or Premier league there, it's not surprising that support blossomed. It will be interesting to see how many they take to Old Trafford. I hope they win BTW.

I don't have a problem with Reading. To some extent they have shown what should have been with Oxford. They had a rich fan take over in the 1990's, who built a complete stadium and took them to the top division. Our rich fan who took over at approx the same time, unfortunately, had nowhere near as much money and the rest is history. No one can deny that Reading fans have seen a lot higher level over the last 25 years and given a choice of Conference football here or Premier league there, it's not surprising that support blossomed. It will be interesting to see how many they take to Old Trafford. I hope they win BTW.

If we get through tonight we can see who the biggest is with how many fans each club take to Manchester. 😀

We averaged a higher number of away fans in our first conference season than they did in their record points Championship winning season. They get the "punters" in at home games but none of them really support Reading as a first team enough to go to away games, where the plastic thing comes from.

Living between Oxford and Reading, there isn't a hatred of them like Swindon, but their fans are a bit deluded and seemingly oblivious to history, delusions of grandeur.

They also have a knack for surviving in the Championship despite routinely cheating FFP and being ran like a mess since Madjeski departed. I'm sure their luck will run out eventually but they've just drawn Man Utd away in the FA Cup (again) when the purse strings are tight, perhaps the lord is a Reading fan! :ROFLMAO:

We averaged a higher number of away fans in our first conference season than they did in their record points Championship winning season. They get the "punters" in at home games but none of them really support Reading as a first team enough to go to away games, where the plastic thing comes from.

Living between Oxford and Reading, there isn't a hatred of them like Swindon, but their fans are a bit deluded and seemingly oblivious to history, delusions of grandeur.

They also have a knack for surviving in the Championship despite routinely cheating FFP and being ran like a mess since Madjeski departed. I'm sure their luck will run out eventually but they've just drawn Man Utd away in the FA Cup (again) when the purse strings are tight, perhaps the lord is a Reading fan! :ROFLMAO:
I agree with other posters that our "hardcore" support far outweighs Reading. I've only met one Reading "fan", later found out he just grew up in Reading but actually supports Man Utd. Embarrassing bunch they are, really. I agree Swindon also have a bigger hardcore support than Reading. They're not quite as much as a nothing club as Wycombe, but Wycombe would be the same as Reading if their version of a Madejski took over.

As for our soul dying, would have to agee with @Essexyellows on that. No ultras, passive crowds, no edge to us any more seemingly. Maybe a new stadium can bring the old Ox back.

I agree with other posters that our "hardcore" support far outweighs Reading. I've only met one Reading "fan", later found out he just grew up in Reading but actually supports Man Utd. Embarrassing bunch they are, really. I agree Swindon also have a bigger hardcore support than Reading. They're not quite as much as a nothing club as Wycombe, but Wycombe would be the same as Reading if their version of a Madejski took over.

As for our soul dying, would have to agee with @Essexyellows on that. No ultras, passive crowds, no edge to us any more seemingly. Maybe a new stadium can bring the old Ox back.
I've a feeling there'll be some loud, lairy n proud 'noise' from the home crowd tonight

shame its not 'always' like that at the soul-less breeze block

Are you on the wind up or only started supporting us in recent years?

I never want Reading to win. In fact I hope they go to Old Trafford and get embarrassed. Every summer I also hope this will be the season they get relegated.

Growing up I went to Wallingford School where half the year would be Reading fans and the other half Oxford and we would have ‘friendly’ games between the 2 at break times.

For me Reading are equal to Swindon when it comes to disliking them.

Back
Top Bottom