Where do we go from here?

I have to praise KR selections in the last few matches they have been very pragmatic and have worked well putting Kashi and Brannagen together has provided the steel we needed in midfield and juggling the attacking options have at least delivered the wins if not the goals! Finally the players are beginning to show their qualities as a team as opposed to individual players.

I have to praise KR selections in the last few matches they have been very pragmatic and have worked well putting Kashi and Brannagen together has provided the steel we needed in midfield and juggling the attacking options have at least delivered the wins if not the goals! Finally the players are beginning to show their qualities as a team as opposed to individual players.
I just hope that it doesn't take Robinson this long every season to achieve the effect you (correctly) describe. Otherwise we're in for regular periods of anxiety.
Like most on here I can see that he's not going anywhere, but that does not fill me with optimism.
If the best he can do is squeak us into L1 safety each season I don't think that is acceptable. We should be challenging for promotion and have footballing and business ambitions for the Championship.

Well we have ambitions of course for us to get promotion, But have we the financial clout to bring the players we need to achieve this?
That is the burning question.
We have some young players coming through who may, or may not make the step up but if we are to truly compete for promotion next year
(assuming that we stay up) then some serious investment In the playing squad will be required ( obviously?).
Erick and Tiger will need to flex their platinum cards for sure.

A lot of negativity here, some a bit unwarranted.

There seems to have been a theme this year, in both windows, of bringing in players who started off slow and then grew into the season - Whyte, Kashi and Mackie spring to mind. All three started poorly (or not at all) and then became important players after a couple of months of joining. I also think it’s unfair to dismiss ALL our business as poor because ‘we’ve been in the relegation zone all season’, when, while that’s true, after that freak start to the year we’ve had play-off level form since Southend (as pointed out on I think the Cov matchday thread). So perhaps the issue isn’t recruitment, but rather something behind the scenes, like players gelling into the squad or not being brought up to match speed quick enough. If so, I sincerely hope our lesson has been learned from last summer.

Also to the poster who said this is the most unbalanced squad in years - really?? This time last year we literally did not have any wide players, we had to play four central midfielders for our last few games! We now have options in every position, except perhaps left back, and can play a variety of formations, which I view as an improvement.

I wouldn’t even look at the championship until we own our own stadium league one/two is ok for the time being tbh

Also to the poster who said this is the most unbalanced squad in years - really?? This time last year we literally did not have any wide players, we had to play four central midfielders for our last few games! We now have options in every position, except perhaps left back, and can play a variety of formations, which I view as an improvement.
As opposed to this season where recently we played a game with 3 midfielders in defense.

It all depends on how you rate utility players, and how ready our youth players are.

For example of how balanced our squad is:
Goalkeeper. The reserve not deemed good enough to play, and youth player not used when required.
Centerbacks. Apart from the main 2, Raglan farmed out so no cover. Unless you count Mousinho who as proved not good enough in this position better as a midfielder.
Right back. 2 that were signed have left the club. Thank heavens Long stepped up, as Hanson does not really cut it.
Left back. A midfielder. The one signed on loan not good enough to play there.

You could say we have cover for all of these positions but lets be honest look what has happened when we have had to rely on that cover.

This is the point I was making about the squad. It is not just weak this season in terms of one position. apart from midfield it has been weak in most other areas. this has contributed negatively to our season. We have a good first team (lacking possibly in goal threat) outside of that we have had patchy cover all season.

As opposed to this season where recently we played a game with 3 midfielders in defense.

It all depends on how you rate utility players, and how ready our youth players are.

Goalkeeper. The reserve not deemed good enough to play, and youth player not used when required.
Centerbacks. Apart from the main 2, Raglan farmed out so no cover. Unless you count Mousinho who as proved not good enough in this position better as a midfielder.
Right back. 2 that were signed have left the club. Thank heavens Long stepped up, as Hanson does not really cut it.

You could say we have cover for all of these positions but lets be honest look what has happened when we have had to rely on that cover.

This is the point I was making about the squad. It is not just weak this season in terms of one position. apart from midfield it has been weak in most other areas. this has contributed negatively to our season. We have a good first team (lacking possibly in goal threat) outside of that we have had patchy cover all season.

I would argue Josh Ruffels is a left back now who covers midfield in KR's thinking.

I would argue Josh Ruffels is a left back now who covers midfield in KR's thinking.
I might agree, but does that make Garbutt a midfielder? If so the point about squad balance still remains. I think KR has got very lucky in the last few weeks that Ruffles and Long have stepped up (or been able to be molded into by KR) to fill holes not properly covered this season.

I might agree, but does that make Garbutt a midfielder? If so the point about squad balance still remains. I think KR has got very lucky in the last few weeks that Ruffles and Long have stepped up (or been able to be molded into by KR) to fill holes not properly covered this season.
Long is generally a full back (as now is Ruffels)
Long was signed on again I suspect as a full back, so hardly a surprise if he plays at right back?
He can cover at CB if required.
Having players who can play in different positions is surely a good thing in a smallish squad.
Even Man City have used Fernandinho as CB and Delph as left back!!

Tbf based on performances this season Garbutt is a midfielder rather than a full back. :)

Fair point. We’ve perhaps been very lucky with injuries the last few months.

Incredibly fortunate that neither CB has been injured or carded out. Miraculous that the whole back 4 has been together unscathed (although it's not that long that Acting Manager found Long down the back of the sofa).

I wouldn’t even look at the championship until we own our own stadium league one/two is ok for the time being tbh
Oh yeah, that’ll work, “come and play for Oxford United, we have no ambition to get promoted, in fact we are happy to let you sideline your career along in league one because we are worried that you will cost us financially in the Championship.”

Without aspiration, you will not bring quality players here, you will not build the fanbase or start to up the turnover... are you seriously suggesting to our long suffering supporters that we should content ourselves with mediocrity? For an unspecified number of anonymous years, Really? Even if that was possible you would kill the dream. The one great dream of football... Success!
There are many reasons to support a team, but settling for an eternity of survival is not one of them.

Oh yeah, that’ll work, “come and play for Oxford United, we have no ambition to get promoted, in fact we are happy to let you sideline your career along in league one because we are worried that you will cost us financially in the Championship.”

Without aspiration, you will not bring quality players here, you will not build the fanbase or start to up the turnover... are you seriously suggesting to our long suffering supporters that we should content ourselves with mediocrity? For an unspecified number of anonymous years, Really? Even if that was possible you would kill the dream. The one great dream of football... Success!
There are many reasons to support a team, but settling for an eternity of survival is not one of them.

Rather like many fans who begin a season seemingly happy to suggest a play off place is acceptable and often thinking that to even reach them it's a given to win them.
Fans that are happy for loans season after season and you can virtually guarantee when the august window shuts they'll be fans saying we can still get loans.
i know i am pretty alone in this thought process but a balanced squad of your own players with the odd tinker here and there the further you progress up the pyramid. all these loans loans loans is not what football should be about.
As for relying on youngsters, again we all pretty much know that wont happen much in terms of progression as the long term view is to sell them on.
so season after season all we are doing is starting again on the roundabout.

Rather like many fans who begin a season seemingly happy to suggest a play off place is acceptable and often thinking that to even reach them it's a given to win them.
Fans that are happy for loans season after season and you can virtually guarantee when the august window shuts they'll be fans saying we can still get loans.
i know i am pretty alone in this thought process but a balanced squad of your own players with the odd tinker here and there the further you progress up the pyramid. all these loans loans loans is not what football should be about.
As for relying on youngsters, again we all pretty much know that wont happen much in terms of progression as the long term view is to sell them on.
so season after season all we are doing is starting again on the roundabout.
I’m another who’s really not a fan of this seemingly over reliance on loan players. I hear the argument that it allows a club to bring in players otherwise out of reach financially but I think a successful squad should be made up with at least 90% players that are contracted to the club with 2 or 3 loans who are xciting young players being the cherry on the icing on the cake. Too many are always a risk and, no matter what anyone says, I’m not convinced they’re ever as committed to a club as contracted players.

I'm more inclined to say that it is not the quality of player that has been signed but as much, if not more, the quality of those that have not signed.

Either they were not identified or, going by what KR kept spouting, were identified, approached and then declined the offer. That last part has me worried, are we approaching unrealistic targets or making unrealistic offers? Is the opportunity of playing for KR just too much for the better players? So much was said about this position and that position and targets and yet we are where we are.
Sadly, in my opinion, KR will still be here in the summer to either get it right or, condemn us to another season long relegation fight.

We will have a lower budget next season and the Chairman has said he will rely on young potential assets and loan players to have success.

So unless the owner/recruiters change I expect more of the same next year.

We will have a lower budget next season and the Chairman has said he will rely on young potential assets and loan players to have success.

So unless the owner/recruiters change I expect more of the same next year.

Where has the Chairman said that?

I'm more inclined to say that it is not the quality of player that has been signed but as much, if not more, the quality of those that have not signed.

Either they were not identified or, going by what KR kept spouting, were identified, approached and then declined the offer. That last part has me worried, are we approaching unrealistic targets or making unrealistic offers? Is the opportunity of playing for KR just too much for the better players? So much was said about this position and that position and targets and yet we are where we are.
Sadly, in my opinion, KR will still be here in the summer to either get it right or, condemn us to another season long relegation fight.

As an aphorism, I prefer to say "I'm more inclined to say that it is not the quality of player that has been signed but much more the quality of those that have selected and signed them.".

More important, I'm with you. KR will stay, the summer will be spent talking up players who choose to go elsewhere and we'll end up with a different unbalanced group of players that don't fit any plan the manager will claim to have; a couple of them will struggle through and display a bit of quality, the manager will disown a couple and a couple will be such poor fits that they will be gone by xmas. We will finish 16th again with the cries of @Scotchegg that we were 'play-off quality for 2 periods of six matches' shrilly trilling in our ears.

I'll be more than happy to cry about another 6 MONTHS of playoff form as we've seen since October!! Although I can't promise shrilly trilly but I'll work on it!!

Back
Top Bottom