Where do we go from here?

Well Mr PC.

Im not entirely sure the package Oxford use however crossing wise oxford and Wycombe are similar, I only know if these crosses are into the 6 yard box, Oxford rank 9th, Wycombe 21st (they do however cross mostly from the right with McCarthy). They're 5th in the league for headed attempts (89), scoring 7...so whilst they chuck the ball in the box a lot they aren't particularly effective (Oxford have scored 10!). Overall Wycombe rank 5th for aerial duels and have the lowest amount of possession in the league...so that probably tells us all we need about their style of play.

In Curtis Thompson they have someone who gets through a lot of defensive work.
Im am unsure about the challenges won...however we all know how Wycombe teams traditionally play. After seeing some Wycombe highlights they wont enjoy players carrying the ball (Oxford one of the best in the league) so expect plenty of cynical fouls.

Call me Mr Cannell, or Shitbag, everybody else does :)

Thanks for the reply, sir.

When he came in he said that you dont need huge investment to succeed, you can succeed with young assets and loan signings. This got them into the playoffs at Reading.

And yet that chairman has spent considerable money on fees on players like Dickie and Hanson.

Oxford mail reporting that tiger is considering ‘slightly reducing’ the budget for next season.
I guess that must mean that the ‘wow factor’ might just be in the singular!?

Oxford mail reporting that tiger is considering ‘slightly reducing’ the budget for next season.
I guess that must mean that the ‘wow factor’ might just be in the singular!?
as in 'wo' ? ... or given that staff havent been paid for march ,woe?

Given the horror stories recently reported from Birmingham, Bolton and Blackburn, it is hard to see how a club like Oxford could compete in the Championship. These clubs each spent £30 - £50M a year on wages and transfers. Now it is clear that some of this was just a case of paying inflated prices for ordinary players, but the fact remains that it is hard to see how we could responsibly afford a 'competitive' playing budget in these circumstances. The impact of inflated parachute payments and a few clubs which have seen enormous investment to secure a PL place (e.g. Wolves) means that it is very hard to see a current L1 club with a 6 - 10k fan base thriving in the Championship. Is the best we could hope for a couple of seasons battling against relegation, like Burton, or even Rotherham?

Depends on the manager. I'm confident that, say, Michael Appleton could give it a good go... in fact, a team of:

---------------Eastwood
---Baldock Nelson Wright Ruffels
----------------Ledson
-------Lundstram Brannigan
--------Whyte Roofe O'Dowda

FOR EXAMPLE could probably do pretty well in the Championship, and as we've seen wouldn't cost the earth to assemble.

Back
Top Bottom