Matches Top 6 Race 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are going to end up playing Bolton and will end up being like the blackpool play off games.
Well, I'd like the chance to find out rather than griping about it now. Pull yourself together, I was terribly pessimistic after last nights game but Friday is winnable and we then think about the next game. Why bother being a fan otherwise?

How do you know?
We demolished Peterborough. Sure they played 3 games- are you suggesting g we have a huge excuse for losing Friday?
If we do play Peterborough or Bolton neither them or us will win 5-0

They've managed a pathetic 20 goals in 22 League away games. And 4 of those came at Fratton Park.

So your fun fact for the day is that 1/5 of Blackpool's total away goals for the season have come against the Champions.

Or, if you prefer:

No. of goals scored by Blackpool, at Portsmouth: 4

No. of goals scored by Blackpool, at Carlisle, Port Vale, Cheltenham, Burton, Wycombe, Cambridge, Wigan, Exeter, Northampton, Orient, Stevenage, Bolton, Derby and Lincoln  combined: 3 (three)
Brilliant stats!
That's a ridiculous away record for a team 8th.

Who have we beaten in the top 6 apart from Peterborough under Des? stats dont lie once we step up to better opposition we get beat.
Lincoln. Ok they are not 'top six' at the moment but could end up there.

I see Mustard Yellow is back after a defeat. Not a peep from him/her after Saturday’s glory.
I haven't been at work, which is the only time I post. Even so, I've posted nothing but positivity on my return - isn't that what you want?

Cute you're checking up on me though 🥰

Except we didn't take those chances? Then Lincoln shut us out the game. We are going to end up playing Bolton and will end up being like the blackpool play off games.
The thing is, no one knows. For example, who would have thought Liverpool would lose to Crystal Palace and Arsenal would lose to Villa, and both at home.

Sometimes it’s just about what happens on the day e.g. not many realistically thought we’d beat Peterborough 5-0!

We don’t want Lincoln & Blackpool winning tomorrow. Hopefully Cheltenham will either beat or draw against Lincoln and Barnsley will ideally get a draw against Blackpool or beat them.

For a bit of context after last night, we’re still odds on to make the playoffs with the bookmakers - 1/2, 4/9 sort of prices.

We’d be unlucky if Lincoln got 6/6 and Barnsley got 3/6, and we missed out with 77 points.

For a bit of context after last night, we’re still odds on to make the playoffs with the bookmakers - 1/2, 4/9 sort of prices.

We’d be unlucky if Lincoln got 6/6 and Barnsley got 3/6, and we missed out with 77 points.
Hmm, I don’t think there’s anything unlucky about it to be brutally honest. We’ve exposed ourselves to that problem and have to look very much inward if we miss out.

Besides, we still have to beat Exeter yet and that’s far from a guarantee.

For the statisticians out there what are the possibilities of going to Exeter and needing a win to make the play-offs, or will we be scuppered before that?

Might need to book a room at the B-in-L`s. :)

Just call me Nostradamus............. (y)

Hmm, I don’t think there’s anything unlucky about it to be brutally honest. We’ve exposed ourselves to that problem and have to look very much inward if we miss out.

Besides, we still have to beat Exeter yet and that’s far from a guarantee.
For sure, and there’s a big difference between getting 77 points and 74. Average over the last 5 years has been 75 and gradually going up. 77 should get you in, 75/76 borderline, 74 lucky to make it.

If we get to 77 though, both historically and based on the bookies odds for the run-in, more often than not we’d be fine.

Whether we do or we don’t, it makes a difference for me when it comes to looking at Buckingham’s first season.

Got a feeling we may just miss out in n the play offs via goal difference!

Yes we still have to beat Exeter and they are on a good run . I just feel we should not be in this postion. I know we are playing better but we should be in the play offs already. But it will be time to talk about the season at the end of it. It's certainly nice to be at the right end and well dine to the board once again.

Call me a hopeless optimist, but I still think a win at Exeter will do it. I can see Lincoln getting just 3 or 4 points from the next couple of games. And I do think after an extra day's rest and a full week's recovery for the likes of Harris, Murphy, Brannagan etc we'll be raring to go and capable of putting in the same kinds of energetic performances we did against Posh and Burton.

The other thing is (and this really is hopelessly optimistic), but let's say Lincoln do pull off wins against Cheltenham and Pompey. Both tough games, you'd expect narrow one-goal wins. Given they have a GD of +4 on us at the moment, that would leave us needing to make up a GD of +6. Is it that out of the question that the team that beat Posh 5-0 could beat an Exeter side with absolutely nothing to play for 6-0?

The more I think about it the more I think that last night, while incredibly frustrating, is by no means terminal; it still leaves our rivals with a lot to do.

Next Saturday will be a real rollercoaster couple of hours. The only thing I dread is being in the top six in the live table until the 90th minute and then conceding or Lincoln getting a late goal to leapfrog us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom