Matches Top 6 Race 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are everyone's thoughts on the games against Peterborough, Lincoln and Stevenage, and how the squad might be managed that week?

Might we see some changes for the Peterborough game, given that the results against Lincoln and Stevenage are likely to have the greater impact on where we finish at the end of the season?

Or do we just field our strongest side in every game, and hope that adrenaline and the prospect of a play-off place is enough to overcome any potential heavy legs?
Always play your best team

I can 100% guarantee that we will make the playoffs and win the final with the greatest game OUFC has ever played, Real Madrid-esque.

How do I know?

My missus has booked a holiday on the 18th of May and I will be in the air at 3pm so I won't be able to watch it.

Your all welcome.

I believe he is L1 quality. He did enough in his shoehorned RCB role to suggest this - decent passing, got stuck in, consistent forward momentum - and then got pulled out and forgotten. He deserves more of a chance in CM, in my opinion.

On other players, I think we should have looked at Tunnicliffe a couple of years back, but that ship has sailed.
We should go all out to try and get Ledson back in the summer.
Frustrates me to not recall any game in the last 2 seasons where he’s played in the position that got him noticed in the first place. He’s hardly had a sniff of midfield and I can’t really make sense of it given the obvious cry for someone to play that role for us and that he’s often stood out as one of the more decent players on the ball when played. I accept he isn’t the fully fledged league one stalwart you’d want in there but there’s only one way to get him there. And it seems to me that what he struggles with (the odd overcommitment in the tackle mainly) could all come good with a bit more experience and regular matches. Who knows, we may have been sat on the answer to our problem all this time…

That left centre mid berth in front of Brannagan behind Murphy seems up for grabs. I don’t see what can go wrong by putting him in there at Burton and seeing if we can unlock another option for the play off push. Wouldn’t it be such an asset to discover a proper disruptive midfielder for the games ahead? Strange.

I can 100% guarantee that we will make the playoffs and win the final with the greatest game OUFC has ever played, Real Madrid-esque.

How do I know?

My missus has booked a holiday on the 18th of May and I will be in the air at 3pm so I won't be able to watch it.

Your all welcome.
Thank you, Mrs Warwick 👍🏻

Frustrates me to not recall any game in the last 2 seasons where he’s played in the position that got him noticed in the first place. He’s hardly had a sniff of midfield and I can’t really make sense of it given the obvious cry for someone to play that role for us and that he’s often stood out as one of the more decent players on the ball when played. I accept he isn’t the fully fledged league one stalwart you’d want in there but there’s only one way to get him there. And it seems to me that what he struggles with (the odd overcommitment in the tackle mainly) could all come good with a bit more experience and regular matches. Who knows, we may have been sat on the answer to our problem all this time…

That left centre mid berth in front of Brannagan behind Murphy seems up for grabs. I don’t see what can go wrong by putting him in there at Burton and seeing if we can unlock another option for the play off push. Wouldn’t it be such an asset to discover a proper disruptive midfielder for the games ahead? Strange.
I’d like to see more of Smyth, if only so I can make my own mind up. But three managers haven’t fancied him. He was absolutely awful at Coventry though that was in defence, and the supposedly highly rated Rodrigues was no better.

Barnsley, Bolton and Peterborough all lost in the playoffs last year. If we can just get 6th place then we've every chance against that bunch of choakers!
Totally agree.

I know it's not much of a comparison but back in the late eighties the team I played for (decent standard) lost in a first round cup match disgracefully-but found we had been reinstated due to an eligible player and we then proceeded to the final with unadulterated ease. Not saying because of that we've a chance - but in reality we have!

If we are in - then we have every betfred chance of snucking any of the f*uckers in front of us.

COYY'S

Totally agree.

I know it's not much of a comparison but back in the late eighties the team I played for (decent standard) lost in a first round cup match disgracefully-but found we had been reinstated due to an eligible player and we then proceeded to the final with unadulterated ease. Not saying because of that we've a chance - but in reality we have!

If we are in - then we have every betfred chance of snucking any of the f*uckers in front of us.

COYY'S
Who did you plaY for?

I’d like to see more of Smyth, if only so I can make my own mind up. But three managers haven’t fancied him. He was absolutely awful at Coventry though that was in defence, and the supposedly highly rated Rodrigues was no better.
It’s one of those where he seems bombed out by the various managers while many others with questionable performance levels or commitment continue to play. He had that brief loan but otherwise been kept around.

He may not be brilliant enough to justify the risk but then is he bad enough to have so little involvement? Not at all in my view - unless there are other problems. And as I say, with there being such a calling for that type of player in the team, it seems almost daft not to explore it.

I also notice that even when he’s been banished for weeks and then plays, he doesn’t show much rust. I think he OK personally.

It’s one of those where he seems bombed out by the various managers while many others with questionable performance levels or commitment continue to play. He had that brief loan but otherwise been kept around.

He may not be brilliant enough to justify the risk but then is he bad enough to have so little involvement? Not at all in my view - unless there are other problems. And as I say, with there being such a calling for that type of player in the team, it seems almost daft not to explore it.

I also notice that even when he’s been banished for weeks and then plays, he doesn’t show much rust. I think he OK personally.
I suspect his issue is losing the ball but he’s not the only one to do that and it’s odd he’s never on the bench.

No, deduct more, and those they should have had but got let off for such as the 3 points for getting the game abandoned by fans being on the pitch.
I want them to stay up anyway. They’re quite local, we could build a rivalry with them!

Having just come back from the local Inn (enjoying a few coca colas), the main topic of conversation seemed to be whether we were heading for WW3 or not.

I have to say that I am so utterly depressed by that whole conversation, whether we make top six seems so futile/pointless and insignificant.

Dear God, please give us some hope to cling to.

Maybe this is the wrong thread?

Back in the driving seat.
5 teams becomes 2 with 4 games to go and 1 of them against each other!

Back in the driving seat.
5 teams becomes 2 with 4 games to go and 1 of them against each other!

There's an (optimistic) argument to say that there are now four teams fighting for two places. Peterborough and Barnsley, despite their games in hand, could be dragged into it.

There's an (optimistic) argument to say that there are now four teams fighting for two places. Peterborough and Barnsley, despite their games in hand, could be dragged into it.
Surely that would mean 4 teams fighting over 3 places?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom