Matches Top 6 Race 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a careless attitude amongst some of our fans about getting into the playoffs. Like the bloke who called Radio Oxford after the game yesterday to say that 27% of teams that go up via the playoffs go straight back down.

He got that the wrong way round and meant 73% go back down, but regardless, it's a bit of a weird stance to take, isn't it? 'You'd be a long shot, so don't even bother trying.'

It's a bit like when people say that if we got promoted, that we'd then get relegated with our current squad. Like there is some rule we have to retain our current squad and we might not actually bother and try recruiting some better players if we did go up.

You've got to wonder what some people want. Just to stay at League 1 level forever so we can feel good about beating minnows like Fleetwood 4-0?

Blackpool I wouldn’t rule out.

Looking at their next 3 games I’d be shocked if they aren’t on 70 points going in to the final 2 games of the season.
On paper they are all winnable but I wouldn't be at all shocked if a team who have scored a single goal in their last five games don't win three on the spin. If we get caught by Blackpool then we've cocked up. Stevenage are also wobbling and I wonder if teams have sussed them a bit after a much better first half of the season.

It looks like a shootout between us and Lincoln. I didn't think we were all that good yesterday, we looked far better going forwards but were an absolute shambles defensively. Fleetwood were as bad a team as I remember seeing for years at this level and they really should have had at least a couple of goals, play like that against someone good and we're done for. Just Brannagan on his own isn't going to work, we're so open.

All that said we've still got a great chance, Lincoln are flying and have the momentum but I've seen a bit of their games recently and while Skubala has done a brilliant job there they look to be riding their luck massively, especially recently. You can't keep scoring with almost every shot and have your opponents miss presentable chances week after week. Reading could be a tough game on Saturday and hopefully they'll do us a favour. More than anything I hope we're struck a better balance between attack and defence by the time we play them in a couple of weeks. We may well struggle in the playoffs if we get there and it would surprise no one if we got knocked out straight away but I'd rather be in the raffle.

We’ll get into the play offs. The run in is kind.
We’ll lose in the semis.
To Bolton. Simply not good enough to go up.
Been a rewarding season, mind.

Some caller said the very same yesterday on the phone-in.

The Phone-In is only worth listening to that Tim bloke and Matt from Liverpool. The rest I reckon RO phone up and beg to contribute and more often than not, they're enjoyable to listen to whilst sat in the traffic on the ring road.

There's a careless attitude amongst some of our fans about getting into the playoffs. Like the bloke who called Radio Oxford after the game yesterday to say that 27% of teams that go up via the playoffs go straight back down.

He got that the wrong way round and meant 73% go back down, but regardless, it's a bit of a weird stance to take, isn't it? 'You'd be a long shot, so don't even bother trying.'

It's a bit like when people say that if we got promoted, that we'd then get relegated with our current squad. Like there is some rule we have to retain our current squad and we might not actually bother and try recruiting some better players if we did go up.

You've got to wonder what some people want. Just to stay at League 1 level forever so we can feel good about beating minnows like Fleetwood 4-0?
That bloke was an absolute clown.

"There's a good chance we come back down again." So what? There seems to be a conception among some fans that being promoted and then relegated is worse than just treading water at the same level and I don't understand it. If we do go up it's very likely we're part of the majority who come back down but I'd also bet that it's easier to sign better players as a Championship club than it is in League One and you get to keep them if you do get relegated so you have a stronger squad to go again.

Absolute scaredy cat he was.

Looking at the bottom four of the Championship, three are the teams that were recently in league 1, Plymouth, Wednesday, Rotherham. Ipswich are somehow top. Luton are in the EPL.

Wycombe were only just relegated, and even Burton spent two seasons in the Championship, and clubs like Yeovil and Gillingham have been there in the last decade or so.

I'd want to go up for the experience of going to the bigger clubs, sell out crowds most weeks etc.

Hopefully we'd put together a decent squad.

I would rather have the joy of promotion, a season of playing different and bigger clubs plus the extra money than come 8th in league one for an eternity, Look at Rotherham, they go up and come down, but at least they mastered the going up part, how is that less successful than a club who haven't played in the second tier this century?

Staying in league one for ages worked really well for Oldham, 20 plus years in the third tier without troubling promotion, eventually left it via relegation and are now in the conference.

I expect us to beat Burton & Exeter away.

That puts us on 73 points without factoring in 3 home games in 6 days.
Exeter away is a really tough game. They’re not a bad side. If you look at their results over the last 2 months or so, they’ve stood up to some good sides and them being mentally on the beach could go for us or very easily against us - I suspect they’ll be having a think about play offs next year and will see us as good prep. It’s not a bad fixture to end on but not a dolly-up. My hope is we don’t look back at Shrewsbury with any more regret than we do now but I have that horrible feeling.

Ultimately it’s all insignificant if we don’t do our job and win on Saturday and go on to beat Lincoln so little point dwelling on anything beyond those two vitally important games.

Exeter away is a really tough game. They’re not a bad side. If you look at their results over the last 2 months or so, they’ve stood up to some good sides and them being mentally on the beach could go for us or very easily against us - I suspect they’ll be having a think about play offs next year and will see us as good prep. It’s not a bad fixture to end on but not a dolly-up. My hope is we don’t look back at Shrewsbury with any more regret than we do now but I have that horrible feeling.

Ultimately it’s all insignificant if we don’t do our job and win on Saturday and go on to beat Lincoln so little point dwelling on anything beyond those two vitally important games.

Maybe we’ll just win all of our last 5 games and there won’t have to be any fuss 😉

I would rather have the joy of promotion, a season of playing different and bigger clubs plus the extra money than come 8th in league one for an eternity, Look at Rotherham, they go up and come down, but at least they mastered the going up part, how is that less successful than a club who haven't played in the second tier this century?

Staying in league one for ages worked really well for Oldham, 20 plus years in the third tier without troubling promotion, eventually left it via relegation and are now in the conference.

Personally, I hope we keep finishing outside the automatics and just wait for the next global pandemic to come along so we can get promoted via some dodgy points per game calculation.

Maybe we’ll just win all of our last 5 games and there won’t have to be any fuss 😉
Ha - well as I’ve said before, should we grab 6th from here (starting a couple of games ago) it will be because we’ve shown near automatic promotion form to keep Lincoln out. From there, you’d have to think we could beat anybody in that play off mix and the Bolton result might be the most valuable experience of the season that helps us.

Lincoln are taking the P**s out of the league currently so we need to see that game as an opportunity to stop them. Vital the players can write off what’s gone and give this their all - Des is staying. I’m not convinced I see a real ‘want’ and togetherness from the players atm.

We gave the ball away near the beginning and nearly/should have conceded. There was no reaction from our players. No calling out of the defender who made the mistake. No geeing up of the defence between eachother. Nothing. That is concerning.

Personally, I hope we keep finishing outside the automatics and just wait for the next global pandemic to come along so we can get promoted via some dodgy points per game calculation.

Pulling a High Wycombe as its known, the real highlight is you never even get to see a game in the championship in person.

No chance we get play offs better teams will punish us - Even yesterday against one of the poorest sides we have played in years could have easily had 3 or 4 goals with better finishing.
'Easily' had 3 to 4 goals? Not sure what game you were watching?
To me they missed one very good chance ( at 0 0 the one on one) and hit the crossbar off a good free kick.

Lincoln to me are the team that are in it with us and they conceded 19 shots (7 on target) v Carlisle who are 7 points below Fleetwood.

To me they missed one very good chance ( at 0 0 the one on one) and hit the crossbar off a good free kick.

Lincoln to me are the team that are in it with us and they conceded 19 shots (7 on target) v Carlisle who are 7 points below Fleetwood.
We were incredibly fortunate to not concede. As you say the one on one was a sitter, the free kick was a hell of a strike though and not something you'd expect to concede from. In the second half their number 2 had a couple of efforts, one was a tricky volley that he rushed but he was unmarked and before that he had a load of time and space 12 yards out but pulled it wide. There were also plenty of occasions they got themselves into good positions but messed up the final ball.

A big part of why they didn't score was because they were pretty inept but I was concerned about how easily they either got into good positions or actually created chances, against a better side then we would struggle.

Agree about Lincoln and I've said elsewhere that everything they are touching is going in currently and their own goal is leading a charmed life. It's not sustainable long term but then there isn't long left and they also have the momentum and feel good factor so they're a huge threat for sure.

The simple fact is, like Cam said, we’ve got 5 cup finals now and every game is massive. I believe it’s in our own hands whether we make the playoffs, as it looks more likely that we are up against 2 teams in Lincoln and Stevenage now and we have to play them both, but we have the home advantage. We should never be in this position after the start we had to the season, but it is what it is and now we have to finish the job and get in those playoffs and then once you get in the playoffs anything can happen.

1 on 1 first half
Had few chances from us giving away the ball in the first half
Free kick
Should have scored start of second half

My point is if we give the better teams those sort of chances we will need to score 3 or more to get 3 points.

1 on 1 first half
Had few chances from us giving away the ball in the first half
Free kick
Should have scored start of second half

My point is if we give the better teams those sort of chances we will need to score 3 or more to get 3 points.
The 1 on 1 was their really good chance.
Other than that Cummings had little to do. Sure some teams will be more clinical ( Pompey seem to have been quite average much of the time bit have been good in both boxes).
Yesterday we went for it and were very open. I suspect that certainly v Peterborough, we won't play with Cam as the only midfield player!

The 1 on 1 was their really good chance.
Other than that Cummings had little to do. Sure some teams will be more clinical ( Pompey seem to have been quite average much of the time bit have been good in both boxes).
Yesterday we went for it and were very open. I suspect that certainly v Peterborough, we won't play with Cam as the only midfield player!
They had a chance in the second half when one of their players cut in from the left and managed to miss the target completely unchallenged from about 8 yards out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom