Matches Top 6 Race 2023/24

I can only think of 2 games in his entire stint so far that have been comprehensive and thoroughly deserving victories

I was talking to a Portsmouth fans last week and he said that there had only been a small handful of games that would have reached that standard this season.

The point being that a scrappy and thoroughly undeserving victory gets you exactly the same 3 points.

We're at the stage of the season where nothing more than the result matters, and 6 points from this weekend will leave us in a strong position.

I booked my holiday back in September
I fly out on the 20th May- 2 days after the playoff final 😊😊😊😊😊

I think we’ll go close. My worry is even though Des tends to beat the sides lower down, I can only think of 2 games in his entire stint so far that have been comprehensive and thoroughly deserving victories. So we’re not in the category of being too good to lose to those sides and will probably make heavy weather of it. Hopefully this break has been put to good use and we competently and confidently dismantle what will be a poor side on Friday and kick on from there. No need for major surgery after Vale, it was good, just more and better.

I'd say three - Vale, Carlisle, Burton.
(Yes, we only got the second and third goals against Burton in the last ten minutes, but we were utterly dominant that night and should have scored more)

Not coincidentally, I'd suggest that those are the three worst sides we've faced since the turn of the year......

Gives us hope for the next three games.

So Stevenage (with no win in their last five, which includes draws against the bottom two) are favored by the bookies more than Lincoln (with six wins in their last seven, and 5+ goals in each of their last three)? Despite the fact that Lincoln also have the easier run-in?

That seems......odd.
Yep! I suppose it’s a reflection of where moneys gone as much as anything and maybe the market is still catching up on Lincoln. Great odds though.

I'd say three - Vale, Carlisle, Burton.
(Yes, we only got the second and third goals against Burton in the last ten minutes, but we were utterly dominant that night and should have scored more)

Not coincidentally, I'd suggest that those are the three worst sides we've faced since the turn of the year......

Gives us hope for the next three games.
Actually yes I’d forgotten Carlisle even though I had a scroll back through the games - that was a decent performance despite a nervy (but forgivable) final 10/15. 👍

Only Lincoln earnt maximum points yesterday in the race to 6th place.
I think Orient are out of it and I can’t see Blackpool gaining enough ground to make it.

On paper us and Blackpool have the easiest games.

I fully expect us to take all 3 points against Fleetwood.
I can see Stevenage getting just a point at Charlton and I can also see Lincoln dropping points at Carlisle who have suddenly found some form.

Only Lincoln earnt maximum points yesterday in the race to 6th place.
I think Orient are out of it and I can’t see Blackpool gaining enough ground to make it.

On paper us and Blackpool have the easiest games.

I fully expect us to take all 3 points against Fleetwood.
I can see Stevenage getting just a point at Charlton and I can also see Lincoln dropping points at Carlisle who have suddenly found some form.
3 points against a desperately poor Fleetwood is obviously an absolute must, and should be achieved by 3 or 4 goals, they are complete garbage!

Problem is we’ve already dropped 2 points from one of the two easiest games of the season as you described these Easter fixtures earlier in the week. So we’ve already failed to achieve what was needed from this holiday period.

So it looks like Orient and Blackpool are out of the race for 6th place.
Stevenage can’t seem to buy a win right now and I can’t see them making it.
It’s going to be neck and neck between us and Lincoln.
The issue is, due to goal difference, Lincoln just need to match our results for the rest of the season.

The issue is, due to goal difference, Lincoln just need to match our results for the rest of the season.
We simply need to beat Lincoln at home.

I wouldn't rule out Stevenage just yet, one more loss and they're done though

No chance we get play offs better teams will punish us - Even yesterday against one of the poorest sides we have played in years could have easily had 3 or 4 goals with better finishing.

No chance we get play offs
That's the spirit :ROFLMAO:

In all seriouness though, I think you're right, we will miss out, but I don't think it will be by a lot, and then we can spend the months between the end of the season and the transfer window analysing all the games we should have got points from on here, oh and Dick can remind us for 8572nd time that he doesn't think Des is up to it.

Blackpool I wouldn’t rule out.

Looking at their next 3 games I’d be shocked if they aren’t on 70 points going in to the final 2 games of the season.

No chance we get play offs better teams will punish us - Even yesterday against one of the poorest sides we have played in years could have easily had 3 or 4 goals with better finishing.

I expect us to beat Burton & Exeter away.

That puts us on 73 points without factoring in 3 home games in 6 days.

That's the spirit :ROFLMAO:

In all seriouness though, I think you're right, we will miss out, but I don't think it will be by a lot, and then we can spend the months between the end of the season and the transfer window analysing all the games we should have got points from on here, oh and Dick can remind us for 8572nd time that he doesn't think Des is up to it.
Just don't think we are a very good side - We have moments of magic from CB , Murphy , Dale. But defensively so poor. Look like we could concede from every attack. Probably going to have to score 3 goals in Peterbrough / Lincoln games to win them.

Back
Top Bottom