Matches Top 6 Race 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheltenham may be “scrapping to avoid the drop” but their chance of getting anything from Lincoln is zero. I watched them lose at home to Carlisle last night and they were dreadful.
That was a massive game for them. A real have to win game. They seem to have run out of steam .

Cheltenham may be “scrapping to avoid the drop” but their chance of getting anything from Lincoln is zero. I watched them lose at home to Carlisle last night and they were dreadful.

Fleetwood were dreadful though when we beat them 7-0 on aggregate this season but they drew with Blackpool at home and nearly snatched a point last night away at Blackpool with a dubious offside disallowed goal.

I think Lincoln will get 7 points from their 3 other remaining games this season and it will come down to what result they get against us.

Saying that even if Lincoln beat us and gain 10 points from their last 4 games. They would only overtake us if we fail to win our 3 other games.

It's (nearly) always tricky for managers coming into teams high in the table due to their predecessor having been pinched. Unless the new manager has the exact same personality, tactical, training and managerial approach, the team will understandably hit a slight stumbling block when readjusting.

Had Des been our manager from the start of the season, and we had started so well only to then miss out on the playoffs, then yes, I would be giving Des slack. But as it is, it would be a big, big shame, but I wouldn't consider him so hugely at fault that I would have a go at him.

Rightly or wrongly I just think it goes with the territory of being a football manager. Des wont be the only manager either lauded from the rooftops or cast as failure, based on a few results in the coming weeks. There will be a whole plethora of sackings/departures by mid May and likely one or two more in early June once their play off fate is sealed. I think whatever happens to us he is here for the foreseeable future - some will agree, some wont, but the way football is we will all be on the same page again come kick off in August. It's a unique position Des finds himself in with this three game batch and a fantastic opportunity for the club and him personally.

Des will, quite rightly, take all the plaudits if we succeed and I'm quietly optimistic he will. Equally, I think it's a bit misguided not to expect him to cop a bit of flak if he fails from 4 games left, three at home and 2 points clear. Going from 2nd to 7th (or below) if it should happen, is a conversation for another day though. Let's remain upbeat and back him fully through these next four - that's all that matters right now. Good luck to him.

Isn't it interesting, above you are saying how quietly optimistic you are that Des will 'succeed' in the final 4 games. However, just a couple of hours ago you were not so sure...

Like you, I’m sceptical, but that’s based on the 25 game mess Des has overseen prior to this mini run we are on.

It would seem your inane waffle is even beginning to get the better of you, Baldy.

If you want some positive stats
No team has taken six points from us this season and P’boro are the only team that might
Lincoln have only one win all season against teams currently in the top six
Stevenage have not won away at any team currently in the top eight.
Fate, tempting!

Isn't it interesting, above you are saying how quietly optimistic you are that Des will 'succeed' in the final 4 games. However, just a couple of hours ago you were not so sure...

Like you, I’m sceptical, but that’s based on the 25 game mess Des has overseen prior to this mini run we are on.

It would seem your inane waffle is even beginning to get the better of you, Baldy.

'Quietly optimistic', 'sceptical', is there really that much difference? In other words, I'm hopeful but wouldn't put my mortgage (I don't have one but you know what I mean!!!) on it - sceptical in other words!!! OK, one's a bit more upbeat than the other but neither - in either context - are said with any degree of conviction.

I'm not sure why your hell bent on jumping on everything I say? A miserable morning perhaps. I'm right behind Des in this run in, he's done great post Bolton, but why flower up the previous 25 games, it's largely been a mess and chaotic - that's all. I haven't insulted his mum, his wife, his sister .....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

'Quietly optimistic', 'sceptical', is there really that much difference? In other words, I'm hopeful but wouldn't put my mortgage (I don't have one but you know what I mean!!!) on it - sceptical in other words!!! OK, one's a bit more upbeat than the other but neither - in either context - are said with any degree of conviction.

I'm not sure why your hell bent on jumping on everything I say? A miserable morning perhaps. I'm right behind Des in this run in, he's done great post Bolton, but why flower up the previous 25 games, it's largely been a mess and chaotic - that's all. I haven't insulted his mum, his wife, his sister .....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

BINGO!!!! There it is - "previous 25 games" mention in the post. 🥳

Dicky Bingo strikes again.

If we do manage to get promoted, with Peterborough nicking second place, home to them would be regarded as one of the easiest games of next season.

Unless we believe a Championship season would be a disaster, let's go into Saturday with all the confidence we can muster.

The roller coaster is labouring up to the top of a drop...........the anticipation, the excitement is tangible.

Will we last the ride eyes open & hands in the air or plummeting to our doom?

Love it, and really hoping it goes to the wire on the final day of the season where we are all glued to our transistor radios awaiting other results.... :)

Ceefax will be on constantly.

And all these references to rollercoasters has got that bloody horrific Ronan Keating song in my head.

Thanks. 😬 ☹️

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom