Fan's View Thoughts on new season

Anyone remember this? Superb and oddly controlled reaction to being sent off. After being shown the red card he waited for Windass to run half the length of the pitch to "join in" and then decked him.

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/6637630.barnett-dock-punch/

Somewhat bizarre programme from that game too.

9f9900bd8d41f2c004717ca4e2df87f2.jpg

Port Vale will finish above us, if our recruitment this summer is anything to go by, or shall I say lack of it.

We've done nothing either. Shipped out a few, our best player in years (IMO) rejected a derisory contact and joined Bristol Rover, a pretty classy central midfielder (Jake Taylor) opted to go to Morecambe and we currently only have 1 keeper and 2 strikers. We are incredibly proud of the club at the moment and our owners are genuinely ace but there are a few murmurings of discontent at the seemingly lacksadaisical approach to preparations for the new season. We've only played one friendly with just one more lined up, still no away kit launched and with a wage structure that some fear may hobble us. Still, at least we've not lost the majority of our squad and our manager to Charlton...

We've done nothing either. Shipped out a few, our best player in years (IMO) rejected a derisory contact and joined Bristol Rover, a pretty classy central midfielder (Jake Taylor) opted to go to Morecambe and we currently only have 1 keeper and 2 strikers. We are incredibly proud of the club at the moment and our owners are genuinely ace but there are a few murmurings of discontent at the seemingly lacksadaisical approach to preparations for the new season. We've only played one friendly with just one more lined up, still no away kit launched and with a wage structure that some fear may hobble us. Still, at least we've not lost the majority of our squad and our manager to Charlton...
i think youll find the step up bigger than you think maybe. Can see Bristol Rovers finishing the highest of the promoted teams.

Yeah, I'd definitely agree with that. As for the step up, I'm not sure. We beat 2 League One sides quite comfortably last season (including Accrington 5-1 in the FA Cup) and certainly in the expected lower half, I think we can hold our own. Promoted sides usually do OK, I think. Imagine we'll be on the wrong end of a few drubbings though.

Yeah, I'd definitely agree with that. As for the step up, I'm not sure. We beat 2 League One sides quite comfortably last season (including Accrington 5-1 in the FA Cup) and certainly in the expected lower half, I think we can hold our own. Promoted sides usually do OK, I think. Imagine we'll be on the wrong end of a few drubbings though.

Accy are a jekyl and “hide” side.

Honestly think the division has gotten much stronger than last time you were here. But then maybe league two has as well

Think we will finish around mid table, with a push for the playoffs again. Obviously the goal is promotion but realistically it will be tough to crack the top 6 unless we get a few more players in (and remain injury free obviously).

Will be Robinsons last season unless he gets us promoted.

Northampton have been up twice since we’ve been in Lge 1, and gone down more or less straight away, Crewe went back down after two seasons, Bristol Rovers went back down eventually. The Scum have been and gone back down. Wimbledon struggled every season they were here. They are just a couple of teams that haven’t lasted too long in lge1. The gap between the top half and bottom half last season was massive.

I wish Vale well, the area of Burslem isn’t great, but neither is our stadium to be honest.

A new stadium is in the pipeline, and hopefully we will be there by 2026.

Good luck for this season.

Best thing I can remember between OUFC and Port Vale.

That Peter Leven halfway line goal. Great goal!

Port Vale will finish above us, if our recruitment this summer is anything to go by, or shall I say lack of it.
Amazing what a few days make 😉

I’m sure we can go one better this season.Some very promising signings

Let’s be honest last season was a very different season. Normally you wouldn’t need 80 points to gain a playoff spot. It showed the difference between the top 8 to the bottom half. We had our chances to get enough points to get a playoff birth, but we can’t dwell on that now.

This season will be just as tough, and a few teams down the bottom half have strengthened ie Shrewsbury have done good business, and I think the teams coming up are probably better than a few Lge 1 clubs going in to this season.

I think of the promoted clubs, I can see perhaps Exeter, and Forest Green struggling. They haven’t really done much business, and Forest Green have lost a few of there key players, and appointed a relatively unknown manager. I expect Bristol Rovers and Port Vale to stay up, and scrap a bit more for vital points. The league 1 clubs I can see struggling are Cheltenham, Lincoln, and Burton Albion, along with Morecambe.

The top end of League one will be a real grind all season, and I don’t see anyone running away with the title. Sheffield Wednesday and Ipswich have spent big, but others I expect to challenge are Plymouth, Ourselves, and MK Do a, then you have Peterborough, Barnsley, and Bolton who I expect to do a lot better than last season. You have Portsmouth, Derby, and Charlton if the latter can pull there fingers out. Then you have Wycombe, who know how to get results and win ugly. It’s going to be tough, and we need to be able to be up for the fight. In the past we’ve let ourselves down against promotion/playoff rivals, and that needs to change. We need to start taking more points from them. If we can do that then we will be in great shape. The first 8 games look quite decent for a good points haul, and we need to make that count. The better we start the better shape we will be in to mount a serious challenge, especially as other clubs I expect to be up there, start playing eachother early on.

It will be an exciting season, and we should be a top six club come next May. If we don’t make the top six, then The board will have a big decision to make.

I’m hopeful we will do it, because I said before if we make a couple of quality signings we would be where we need to be. We just need to bring in two solid full backs, a pacey winger, and a striker, a couple of loan signings and we are all set.

Last edited:
The not the top twenty league one prediction pod is interesting, well worth a listen. Hoping, we do better than they predict:

That was a good listen. Got the vibe that George Elek was hinting Luongo was going to end up at Oxford, we’ll see. They have Bolton finishing in 5th, would put them 8th/9th personally.

Sheff Wed, Ipswich, Derby, Peterborough, MK Dons, Barnsley, Bolton, Plymouth, Wycombe, Charlton, Portsmouth and ourselves will all be targeting the playoffs at least, and Bristol Rovers, Accrington, Lincoln and a few others will be expecting to upset the odds and get amongst it as well.

This is likely to be the most competitive league that we've seen since coming up and we're not going to be able to have too many slip ups. However, teams will be taking points off each other and we just need to focus on our own results and hopefully let others worry about us.

Back
Top Bottom