Fan's View Thoughts on new season

Valefaninpeace

Hello! I'm posting on behalf of the Port Vale forum, OneValeFan. Each season we try and get the views of opposing fans to run as part of the build up to games so, if it's ok, I'd like to ask you a few questions? If you have anything you'd like to ask us, or to post a similar thing on the Vale forum, feel free to DM me. Thanks!

1. How have things been going for your club recently?

2. On the pitch - what are your thoughts on the manager?

3. Off the pitch - what are your views on the board/owners?

4. Any thoughts/memories of previous encounters with the Vale?

5. Where do you think you'll finish this season?

Good luck with your season (except when you play us, of course).

Hey and welcome!

We have made 1 signing, of which they were on loan with us last season. But have lost a few 1st team players with no replacements yet.

Our manager has this morning reported of missing targets, but each season he says we will do our business early, yet are still scrambling to sign players after the season has started.

Well done for doing Swindon! Though the post match celebrations tarnished it.

Thanks!

Ah, don't get me started on Swindon! They riled us from the word go. Their fans seems to think that because they can sell more tickets than us then they had some divine right to go straight to Wembley. Their players and management were just plain rude in the build up, the arrogance of some of the pre-match interviews did our team talk for us.

Any Vale fan involved with the violence at the end needs banning. Having said that, the Swindon fans were no angels and they have all leapt on the bandwagon trying to denounce the Vale fans as thugs. Videos of the post-match incidents clearly show the Swindon fans throwing missiles (including a seat) at the Vale fans. Depsite them constantly going onabout how their players, management and fans were attacked by the Vale fans, not one piece of footage has been found to show anything of the sort. EGbo posted a photo of himself with a minute scratch on his nose, and that's it. To me, they're crybabies clinging on to the fact that we're "thugs" so they don't have to face the fact that they blew it big style.

Also, no matter how bad your pre-season's going, it won't be as bad as theirs!

We have had a generally enjoyable but frustrating time on the pitch, getting in or close to the playoffs for three years running only to fall short. The football has been of the 'we will score more goals than you' brand recently, with clean sheets at either end of the pitch being a rarity. We have signed too many talented but fragile players and KR seems to appreciate flashes of talent more than he sees value in solidity. Please don't ask about our full backs.

The manager is 'marmite'. It certainly seems true that he puts his whole heart into things and is here there and everywhere in the club. If the Under 11s started a kickabout on the playground, he'd be there watching them. Although we have a scouting and recruitment department, there is some thought that he tries to do too much himself, won't take advice and does not want *anyone* telling him what to do. He is also quite capable in interviews of being fairly unintelligible - not his accent, but what he says! The owners? Well they are providing a healthy and continuing injection of cash, including for this transfer window. We don't know if it will be spent wisely yet as TBH not much has happened.

There are serious moves towards the building of a new stadium. The main positive of this is that it will finally get us out of the clutches of our past chairman and owner and current landlord, Firoz Kassam - who charges us a fortune to play in a stadium which is not improving with age. IF this comes off, it will be a step change for the club as we will suddenly have much more disposable income, much of which now goes on rent.

Where we finish this season depends very much on who and how many we get in between now and the start of the season (and then in the first month of the season, although personally I see that as being rather late).

We all hate Swindon!

Hello! I'm posting on behalf of the Port Vale forum, OneValeFan. Each season we try and get the views of opposing fans to run as part of the build up to games so, if it's ok, I'd like to ask you a few questions? If you have anything you'd like to ask us, or to post a similar thing on the Vale forum, feel free to DM me. Thanks!

1. No signings all summer. 8-9 players out. Forum in meltdown . 4-5 players leaving were reasonably regular first teamers

2. Manager is a good human who believes in the community ethos. Generally well liked by fans but with a growing contingent of dissidents.We play nice, loves attacking, collects wingers like Russel Brand collects genitalia herpes, hates buying defenders like kids hate finishing their vegetables. Has our biggest ever budget but up
Against the richest ever league one competition

3. The owners have invested heavily however it’s unclear their intentions since they don’t actually own the club (oxymoron),. Is it EFL checks or is it because they view it as an unwise investment until the stadium is approved ? It’s not clear why the takeover has taken 18 months.

4. Peter Leven from the half way line whilst your fans were celebrating an equalizer

5. 10th

1. Slooooowwlllyyy.
2. He takes on too much and that is detrimental to 1.
3. They seem mysteriously "distant" that adds to 2 & 1.
4. Horrible place in Stoke - decent pubs though.
5. Top ten - fingers crossed.
:)

- 'X fan in peace' used ✅ managed to engineer into the username - bonus point for that ✅
- Overuse of exclamation marks ✅
- Wished us luck for the season (except when we play each other, natch) ✅

- Clearly a cut and paste job (no mention of Oxford - clearly same copy as used for other clubs forums) ❌
- Lack of anything nuanced or interesting from your end to entice ❌

All in all, classic of the genre, but nothing more. 5/10.

1. Pretty good in many senses. 3 decent enough finishes, some lovely football, decent recruitment, optimism around a potential new stadium and community engagement. Slightly offset by bottling promotion 3 years running. Lots of optimism going into the pre season with talk of aggressive recruitment has unfortunately transpired to be a load of steaming manure and hence feelings are mixed at present. Optimism seems to be slipping.

2. Mixed bag. Tactically naive, does not learn from his mistakes, talks horseshit. Plays brilliant football, scores lots of goals, signs some decent players and got us decent finishes. Cares a lot. Temperamental. Curates egg if ever there was one.

3. After a difficult start they have generally been supportive, sensible and ambitious, which makes the summer more bizarre. We are in the midst of the longest takeover in history, so it would be great to know more about them and their vision. Could be a lot worse but have gone very quiet recently.

4. I remember going to a game where Allen Tankard scored the winner! Great to see you with decent ownership and the success for Darrell Clarke after the events of this year.

5. Between 10th and 14th. Could have strengthened in the right places to push for playoffs but have chosen not to. Other teams have and I think we will struggle to keep up the pace. We have a good core group but beyond that zero depth.

Kip, Ricky & Zero have Qs 1-3 covered so I won't repeat what they said.

But for some reason my overriding Port Vale memory is of Darren Purse knocking Lee Mills out stone cold with an elbow (leading to a red card, and a defeat). I've seen a bunch of bad Oxford challenges over the past 30 years but none that were quite as efficient as that particular assault!

Finish could be literally anything depending on how the next six weeks' recruitment go!

Superb. We scored a lot of goals last season but conceded too many so we've got rid of a few of our defenders from last season as they clearly weren't good enough.

The manager shouldn't be on the pitch.

Craddock winning the game to spark 'absolute scenes mate, limbs!' before both 'absolute scenes' and 'limbs!' were even a thing.

At home to Accrington Stanley.

But for some reason my overriding Port Vale memory is of Darren Purse knocking Lee Mills out stone cold with an elbow (leading to a red card, and a defeat). I've seen a bunch of bad Oxford challenges over the past 30 years but none that were quite as efficient as that particular assault!
1997, can remember that clearly as well. At around 28sec in the clip below...

- 'X fan in peace' used ✅ managed to engineer into the username - bonus point for that ✅

- Clearly a cut and paste job (no mention of Oxford - clearly same copy as used for other clubs forums) ❌

Nothing wrong with a cut and copy job. He clearly states he does this for the club's forum.

Back in November 1989, we won 2-1 at your place with Mike Ford and John Durnin scoring for us. We were in the away seats so had your fans on the terrace in front of us. A bald, rotund and red faced chap, one of yours, pulled himself up the wall between the supporters to take the P**s and spit at us when you scored. When we equalised my mate who was a smoker started flicking the ciggy ash on to his bald head which elicited some amusing noises. My mate thought this was really amusing so smoked a lot more and the ash went onto Baldy's head. Baldy lasted 20 or so minutes before deciding to move on which tbf is some good perseverence.

Hey and welcome!

We have made 1 signing, of which they were on loan with us last season. But have lost a few 1st team players with no replacements yet.

Our manager has this morning reported of missing targets, but each season he says we will do our business early, yet are still scrambling to sign players after the season has started.

Well done for doing Swindon! Though the post match celebrations tarnished it.

I couldn’t disagree more. They made it far more enjoyable viewing for me.

Is one exclamation mark deemed 'overuse'? They're not being rationed, are they?

Unnecessary Criticism 10/10

Best thing I can remember between OUFC and Port Vale.

That Peter Leven halfway line goal. Great goal!

Port Vale will finish above us, if our recruitment this summer is anything to go by, or shall I say lack of it.

Back
Top Bottom