National News The Met Police

Pete Burrett

Baroness Casey's 363-page report condemns the force as institutionally racist, misogynist and homophobic. Staff routinely experience sexism, it adds. There are racist officers and staff, and a "deep-seated homophobia" in the organisation.

Currently listening to a programme discussing the report. Thankfully most contributors seem to add value, although earlier on another show I heard some suggesting 'wokery' - which I can only assume is the modern version of 'political correctness' - is devaluing any discussion. There is also plenty of reference to the fact that such police officers were in a minority and the Met didn't deserve to be castigated because of a few bad apples.

Having been mugged in London circa 1986 the two Met officers who interviewed me did not ask me to describe my attackers. I clearly remember one simply commented 'I assume they were black'. Easy to misinterpret such a comment and I draw no conclusions from it.

My other experience was watching a football match in a TVP bar in Milton Keynes. The entire audience was male and white. There were constant references to 'blacks' in relation to certain players and some fairly objectionable language associated with that. Again, I draw no conclusions from this but both my own experiences were concerning.

It would be interesting to hear the first hand experiences of posters about such behaviour - or lack of it - in the Met, or TVP or any other police force.

It is wrong and no place for racism, bigotry or prejudice in any form wherever and for whatever.
It’s worrying that if you need the assistance of the police and you happen to be a person with a different ethnicity of the person making such comments.

There is/was a police operation in London called Trident which was targeting black on black crime alas some where saying that was racist which I couldn’t work out unless the officers involved were blatantly racist.

There is racism, bigotry and prejudice in all walks of life irrespective of your job.

It is wrong and no place for racism, bigotry or prejudice in any form wherever and for whatever.
It’s worrying that if you need the assistance of the police and you happen to be a person with a different ethnicity of the person making such comments.

There is/was a police operation in London called Trident which was targeting black on black crime alas some where saying that was racist which I couldn’t work out unless the officers involved were blatantly racist.

There is racism, bigotry and prejudice in all walks of life irrespective of your job.
Trident was originally that, but expanded in the 2000s - "by 2008 the unit was responsible for investigating all non-fatal shootings for the Metropolitan Police".
Before it was disbanded an investigation into Trident found "the police had a better relationship with criminal informants than it did with law-abiding black people" - this was after one informant was "allowed to continue dealing crack cocaine and committing armed robbery" and another "was left free to brutally rape a 15-year-old schoolgirl and murder Marcia Lawes, slashing her throat 18 times" - both had been arrested previously, but released because they were Trident informants. As often with the Met - some good work undone by bad.

Never had any problems with the UK police unless it was thoroughly deserved, mostly in my youth.

Had a fair few run ins which generally ended being chucked out of Cowley nick at 3.00am or a slap across the legs with a retractable baton. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

The problems set in when the Police were lumbered with being a service rather than a law enforcement force.

Now you have more coppers sat in A&E on S136 jobs rather than being out policing.

They do a very tough job and the overwhelming majority are good coppers that have my consent to uphold the law.

While I agree most coppers are very good at their job, there are a small minority who let the squad down. And it's not just them - it's also their bosses who let it go ahead knowing full well what is going on. "It's just banter", "Boys being boys", "It's harmless fun" etc. Bull sh*t!!

The clearest example was the horrific rape and murder of Sarah Everard. Before that terrible night, Wayne Couzins was already under investigation for flashing in a McDonalds. Why was he even working? Why wasn't he suspended? He should have had his badge and uniform removed until the outcome of the investigation exonerates him. The offence (flashing) was deemed severe enough by the courts to warrant a prison sentence, to run on top of his current whole-life term. He was even a member of a WhatsApp gorup where his nickname was 'The Rapist'! So whoever's decision it was to allow him to continue his role should also be held to account and sacked for gross incompetence.

Suella Braverman needs to stop her obsession with hotels in Rwanda, and sort this mess out.

Last edited:
While I agree most coppers are very good at their job, there are a small minority who let the squad down. And it's not just them - it's also their bosses who let it go ahead knowing full well what is going on. "It's just banter", "Boys being boys", "It's harmless fun" etc. Bull sh*t!!

The clearest example was the horrific rape and murder of Sarah Everard. Before that terrible night, Wayne Couzins was already under investigation for flashing in a McDonalds. Why was he even working? Why wasn't he suspended? He should have had his badge and uniform removed until the outcome of the investigation exonerates him. The offence (flashing) was deemed severe enough by the courts to warrant a prison sentence, to run on top of his current whole-life term. He was even a member of a WhatsApp gorup where his nickname was 'The Rapist'! So whoever's decision it was to allow him to continue his role should also be held to account and sacked for gross incompetence.

Suella Braverman needs to stop her obsession with hotels in Rwanda, and sort this mess out.
How many of those mostly good coppers also turn a blind eye to behaviour around them. Those officers that nicknamed Couzins the rapist obviously had a reason, but no-one did anything more but give him a nickname. Same with others in groups where they shared photos of murder victims, or the personal details of sexual abuse victims so that others could "have a go".
Mind you, when official policies involved undercover officers infiltrating political groups and encouraged to form sexual relationships with women to help gather "intelligence" no wonder some were "confused" as to where the boundaries lay.
The whole police disciplinary process is not fit for purpose - as shown in the last few days where the officer found guilty of using excessive force against Dalian Atkinson (batoning him whilst he was unconscious) deemed as gross misconduct, but the disciplinary panel gave her a final written warning rather than dismissal.
In addition, officers who resign whilst under investigation (ie to avoid sanction) should have their full pension rights suspended (as would be the case if they were dismissed).

Bit awks that it's the job of wannabe 'culture warrior' Braverman to sort this out - when the Met have basically been accused of not being 'woke' enough. So is sexist, racist speech and behaviour a problem or not, Sue?

Bit awks that it's the job of wannabe 'culture warrior' Braverman to sort this out - when the Met have basically been accused of not being 'woke' enough. So is sexist, racist speech and behaviour a problem or not, Sue?

Had Braverman shared some of her comments on immigrants and other minorities within a Met Police WhatsApp group, its likely that she would be one of those being criticised within this report. She is a disgusting individual and the worst person to be overseeing changes within the Met.

The quicker we can see the back of this horrendous Government the better.

The Met police has been a disgrace for years. This country needs a radical rehaul of what policing looks like, right now it suits nobody and empowers a lot of very thick bullies to essentially do what they want.

Had Braverman shared some of her comments on immigrants and other minorities within a Met Police WhatsApp group, its likely that she would be one of those being criticised within this report. She is a disgusting individual and the worst person to be overseeing changes within the Met.

The quicker we can see the back of this horrendous Government the better.
"If Labour were in charge they would be allowing all the Albanian criminals to come to this country" - Met PC or Braverman?

Back
Top Bottom