National News Police want extra £ for policing football

More money for doing nothing sitting in the van outside the Blackbird....and blocking limited parking spaces. You must be joking.

It's the same old thing. If you don't tell us why you (and the club, who generally rely on the police to advise them in such things) moved the Charlton game and had such a ridiculous amount of staff there then you can't blame people for speculating, can you? Charlton aren't known as a club with aggressive supporters, we don't have a history of any significant trouble with them and there was indeed not a whiff of stupidity when the game took place. So, did you have some sort of solid intelligence that people from one side or the other were out for trouble?

It's the same old thing. If you don't tell us why you (and the club, who generally rely on the police to advise them in such things) moved the Charlton game and had such a ridiculous amount of staff there then you can't blame people for speculating, can you? Charlton aren't known as a club with aggressive supporters, we don't have a history of any significant trouble with them and there was indeed not a whiff of stupidity when the game took place. So, did you have some sort of solid intelligence that people from one side or the other were out for trouble?
Or maybe it was a tvp training day....with both sets of supporters inconvinienced to accomodate...not to mention potentially lost revenue for oufc and local reetail business. If it was a tvp training excersice we , as taxpayers, who fund police forces, should be informed imo

Last edited:
I don't usually join in these discussions, but come on Simon. You can't say "it was changed for a reason" and not divulge that reason!

Either answer the question and divulge the reason, or say that you can't tell us why. This doesn't do you any favours being so cloak and dagger you know. If the people above you won't let you tell us why it was bought forward, I'm sure people on here would understand.

But having said that, I'm now very curious as to why this game was deemed worthy of moving forward?
Sorry Mr B. Can’t tell you it is then. Lesson learnt.

Or maybe it was a tvp training day....with both sets of supporters inconvinienced to accomodate...not to mention potentially lost revenue for oufc and local reetail business. If it was a tvp training excersice we , as taxpayers, who fund police forces, should be informed imo
Really?! Blimey. No. It wasn’t.

It might be "down time" but we are still supporters of Oxford United and you remain our liaison officer.
It doesn`t "go away" because the season is over.
The questions & rebuttals about the kick off amendment have been posted both before, during & after the event that saw supporters (customers if you like) inconvenienced by a decision to change the KO time and an excessive police presence that was apparently unnecessary (nice big bill for someone).
Do we not deserve a straight answer to the reasoning behind the decision?
I’m also a fan. If you thought it excessive make a complaint to PCC or chief constable and ask for an explanation.
I am unable to give you the answer to your queries.

Whatever the reason was, do you think now, with hindsight, that it was justified?

If you can answer, that is.

Police could save a fortune not policing football crowds at all. Just hoover up the litter after a fight.

Police and football don't match. It's family v establishment. I know they are necessary for H&S but they aren't part of a matchday experience and are the sociopath in the room. They bib up and smile, but they arent OUFC and are not on our side. Not to be trusted ever. They have become like spiders. Waiting for anything to fly. Generally small cocked authoritarian wankers - the same can be said of some of our stewards who stood down recently. Modern day "mods" - naaaah lol

Last edited:

Could you tell us why it's in the public interest to refuse to answer questions about public funded issues like this? Because it sounds like you have something to hide which I'm sure is not the case.

Could you tell us why it's in the public interest to refuse to answer questions about public funded issues like this? Because it sounds like you have something to hide which I'm sure is not the case.
I haven anything to hide. 100%. I’m just not allowed to divulge.

Whatever the reason was, do you think now, with hindsight, that it was justified?

If you can answer, that is.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing so the saying goes. 3 arrested on the day and disorder in the city post match. Usual group ruining other people’s day. Resources were needed. I have no say on the numbers utilised on the day but they were needed. Some were stood down early also.

Police could save a fortune not policing football crowds at all. Just hoover up the litter after a fight.

Police and football don't match. It's family v establishment. I know they are necessary for H&S but they aren't part of a matchday experience and are the sociopath in the room. They bib up and smile, but they arent OUFC and are not on our side. Not to be trusted ever. They have become like spiders. Waiting for anything to fly. Generally small cocked authoritarian wankers - the same can be said of some of our stewards who stood down recently. Modern day "mods" - naaaah lol
Im OUFC. Regale me with your reasons why I’m a w****r? Tell me why we should stand by and allow disorder to occur?

So are all football fans hooligans then if it’s sweeping comments that are being made? No they’re not. It’s a small group that think it’s ok to have a scrap in front of families scaring children, a small group that shout and scream at opposing fans whilst dancing on the pavement like a 2 year old who needs a P**s. Strange how a thread about finance and policing and you have to turn it into yet another police hate thread. More than happy to meet with you to discuss your issues in relation to me and my colleagues. Done it a few times already with the haters. Found it very interesting and learnt a lot. That’s what I’m on here for. To try and build relationships in facts and where I can quash rumours. Policing bills have dramatically reduced since I started working with OUFC. Don’t be a hater.

So are all football fans hooligans then if it’s sweeping comments that are being made? No they’re not. It’s a small group that think it’s ok to have a scrap in front of families scaring children, a small group that shout and scream at opposing fans whilst dancing on the pavement like a 2 year old who needs a P**s. Strange how a thread about finance and policing and you have to turn it into yet another police hate thread. More than happy to meet with you to discuss your issues in relation to me and my colleagues. Done it a few times already with the haters. Found it very interesting and learnt a lot. That’s what I’m on here for. To try and build relationships in facts and where I can quash rumours. Policing bills have dramatically reduced since I started working with OUFC. Don’t be a hater.

I'd suggest you need to work on this. Considering your replies are at times quite abrupt and the fact you refuse/can't give fans a simple answer to why a kick off time was changed I think it is understandable when fans get annoyed.

Having seen your replies over the last week then I'm struggling to see what benefit it is to both you or us as fans to have you posting as the police liaison officer for TVP.

I'd suggest you need to work on this. Considering your replies are at times quite abrupt and the fact you refuse/can't give fans a simple answer to why a kick off time was changed I think it is understandable when fans get annoyed.

Having seen your replies over the last week then I'm struggling to see what benefit it is to both you or us as fans to have you posting as the police liaison officer for TVP.
So I’m supposed to stand by and accept being called a small cock w****r and not engage?
As I’ve previously said. If fans have questions they can message me via this means. But don’t expect me to stand by and be abused.
If people have something to say about me or opinion that’s personal in nature approach me on a matchday or arrange to meet me like others and discuss differences to build bridges or for a greater understanding of why some of you detest the police.

Back
Top Bottom