Local News The End of Jack FM?

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
is this the end of Jack FM?

Their license has been sold to Bauer, who own Greatest Hits Radio.

Would be a massive shame to lose another Oxfordshire radio station.

is this the end of Jack FM?

Their license has been sold to Bauer, who own Greatest Hits Radio.

Would be a massive shame to lose another Oxfordshire radio station.

Jack FM has gone down hill the last couple of years and it's no surprise to hear that it will come to an end.

With DAB in most cars and houses Jack FM has alot more competition than when they first started.

They would be better going down the route of playing underground music rather than the same stuff hundreds of other stations play.

Fusion / Passion was much better in my opinion and felt much more connected to the city than the current Jack FM.

how does a tune become a greatest hit or a classic?

by receiving maximum exposure to as many people as possible

'just' greatest hits is bollox IMO

When I started to do little bits of work in radio there was a plethora of creative, fun and interesting local radio stations. Over the course of the next 10-15 years Bauer and Global have rapidly hoovered them all up and completely killed local radio dead. Jack was one of the few good ones left. I left the industry 3 years ago and have no regrets and no intention of going back.

Jack FM has gone down hill the last couple of years and it's no surprise to hear that it will come to an end.

With DAB in most cars and houses Jack FM has alot more competition than when they first started.

They would be better going down the route of playing underground music rather than the same stuff hundreds of other stations play.

Fusion / Passion was much better in my opinion and felt much more connected to the city than the current Jack FM.
I find DAB in the car can drop out a lot especially between Bicester and Banbury in the dips and through tree lined areas, tried listening to Planet Rock on Saturday, had to give up in the end

I find DAB in the car can drop out a lot especially between Bicester and Banbury in the dips and through tree lined areas, tried listening to Planet Rock on Saturday, had to give up in the end

I only have dab drop out in town centres. Older cars with DAB suffer with interference from other devices in the car, the heated windscreen causes mine in my car to drop signal.

all these new fangled platforms such as DAB, pah! - is it really progress with drop outs and embargos?

the Sargemobile has a cd player with FM radio ,- none of this DAB nonsense,( which incidentally cuts out match coverage of the U's on rad ox ), FM range of Rad Ox is surprisingly wide and far-reaching too, with no drop outs till out of broadcast range... presume its the same for other stations broadcasting on FM as well

all these new fangled platforms such as DAB, pah! - is it really progress with drop outs and embargos?

the Sargemobile has a cd player with FM radio ,- none of this DAB nonsense,( which incidentally cuts out match coverage of the U's on rad ox ), FM range of Rad Ox is surprisingly wide and far-reaching too, with no drop outs till out of broadcast range... presume its the same for other stations broadcasting on FM as well
Your motor has a CD player? Bloody hell am I disappointed at that news, I thought you'd be rocking a vintage 8-track.

Your motor has a CD player? Bloody hell am I disappointed at that news, I thought you'd be rocking a vintage 8-track.
Or at least a cassette deck with a cd adaptor. I’ll never forget the first time I saw one of those - total magic invention (it was April 1994 in Dallas btw).

Or at least a cassette deck with a cd adaptor. I’ll never forget the first time I saw one of those - total magic invention (it was April 1994 in Dallas btw).
Now you are talking, those were the days. Every time you went over a bump the music cut out for a second. How would they cope with the current state of UK roads? You'd be in silence for most of the journey...

1689754455109.png

Surely you only play 78 RPM shellac discs
too old, too brittle for me, and little if any of the type of music I play came on 78rpm format ... vinyl and (poly)styrene original, first issue 45s and albums for me, thanks

Well that’s it then, Jack FM ceases after 15 years later this month and Greatest Hits Radio launches in its place:

I thought Jack FM was older than 15 years unless Jack 2 previously known as Fusion, Passion and FM 1079 on 107.9 FM started before the Jack FM on 106.8 FM ?

Shame that all the local stations are vanishing, only First FM, Get Radio and BBC Oxford (becoming alot more national) remain.

That's that then, Jack FM is no more, Oxfordshire loses another local radio station.

ended yesterday didnt it? Greatest Hits radio Jack FMs replacement has Ken Bruce apparently on the presenters list

ended yesterday didnt it? Greatest Hits radio Jack FMs replacement has Ken Bruce apparently on the presenters list
Yes, last night.

Everything now points to GHR. Jack FM's X (was Twitter), website etc....

Back
Top Bottom