Target refuses to run!

I wonder what time / distance KR wants players to be able to run?

I’m on fence. I mean a big unit centre half isn’t going to run a 5k at the same pace as a slight pacy winger. Or even a unit of a centre forward.
Some players hate running but still give you 100% during a match.

Even so I’ve seen enough from KR to know we should trust his judgment.

While he has said everyone has to run a set time for a set distance I am sure there's some wiggle room. It's the fact that this precious little soul refused to do it that caused the rejection (and rightly so was he rejected if this is the case).

Im happy that KR wants people who can last 90 mins - we all complained last year about being painfully slow and we conceded lots of points late. It may not be an ego thing that he refused to run, rather a metric that KR wants people who can do say 10km in 90 mins and the player knew he just couldnt do it. There would be a few in the squad who probably cant too, including Henry, and to a certain extent the squad can carry them if there are others who can make up their yards, but if we are a 7km/90 min team we will be chasing shadows. Hope we will have wing backs bombing down the wings next year but if so, we need midfield cover and players who can go box to box again and again, NOT players who are so slow they dot even bother to tackle back when they lose the ball

These days players are constantly tracked by various technology platforms such as Opta - as witnessed as the explosion of Performance Analysts working at football clubs. I would have thought all key performance attributes would be viewable on a database during the target identification phase?

Fairplay to KR for sticking to his guns mind. If he asks a potential recruit to jump, the answer should be "how high, gaffer?" otherwise the contract should be ripped up immediately. And to think under Ol' Chippy we didn't even bother with medicals...

Using running stats is next to pointless.

These seems to just be a fitness test...if we are signing players that have a history of injury, which isn’t out of the question then this seems perfectly reasonable.

Using running stats is next to pointless.

These seems to just be a fitness test...if we are signing players that have a history of injury, which isn’t out of the question then this seems perfectly reasonable.

Depends on running stats. I suspect a simple run this distance in this time won't be used (although I could be wrong)

Distance covered on its own is a useless stat and can be incredibly misleading but broadcasters love it because it's easy to understand.

Combine it with other things such as the intensity of sprints and then start to look at that intensity/speed over time. See how players perform over time and whether this decreases and by how much - or whatever it may be. Then you're in business and you'll have a much better idea about a players physical condition

A nice little bit of PR from KR there. Sets an expectation to other players and their percenter for what it is expected of them.

A nice little bit of PR from KR there. Sets an expectation to other players and their percenter for what it is expected of them.

I would hope most professional players can at the very least run (although we signed all of those that can’t last summer)

Back
Top Bottom