Stewart Donald to buy Sunderland

Great PR, no doubt, but Mr Donald needs to leave the OxVox committee NOW, and while both he and Mr Methven may still be Oxford fans at heart, they now have a money-making business interest in SAFC. Their relationship with OUFC has changed forever.
Mr Donald is not and never has been a committee member of Oxvox. Nor is he currently a co-opted member and the question of whether he should be was deferred until his position with Sunderland was clarified. Now that it has been no doubt a decision will made at the next Oxvox committee meeting.

Mr Donald is not and never has been a committee member of Oxvox. Nor is he currently a co-opted member and the question of whether he should be was deferred until his position with Sunderland was clarified. Now that it has been no doubt a decision will made at the next Oxvox committee meeting.

Or sooner.

I’m looking forward to Charlie’s next post on these boards.

Wonder if it will start “Hi Sunderland fan here in peace”

;)

KenwyneJones’sdreadlock can do one for all I care. First betting on our relegation, then predicting our failure off the pitch and now wishing us to lose more games next season. (I know it’s a business) Yes I know he’s a fan, yes I know he once shook buckets and washed nick merry’s socks. But there are also people now who genuinely have Oufc’s best interests at heart ahead of there own. Good luck and good riddance

I find it interesting that they are seeing us as their rivals, wanting to "put one over on us".

Now I'm no PR expert, but would this comment: "Stewart (Donald) and I are boyhood Oxford fans. Ideal result for season is Sunderland to finish 1st, Oxford to finish 2nd, (but) we're gunning to put one over our friends down south." have read better as: "Stewart (Donald) and I are boyhood Oxford fans. Ideal result for season is for both Sunderland and Oxford to win promotion."

I don't suppose the Sunderland fans give two hoots about us, but it would appear from Charlie's comments that this is about proving something to OUFC.

They ought to start the season as odds on favourites. They are now debt free. They have managed to agree to a staggered payment deal, so they have money to spend on the team, they are a one club town, with a 50,000 capacity stadium and an historically large fanbase.

Oh, and they start the season with a nice little head start on the rest of the league, a present from the Premier League, of £38,000,000.00. And next year they'll get another £14,000,000.00. Just for having been in the Premier League a couple of years ago.

If they don't get promoted this season with that kind of advantage over the rest of the division, then they'll have failed. They're running an F1 team in a Formula Three race.
Whoever the new manager is, will either need to motivate Jack Rodwell or SD will need to pay him off. They are going to have some really big cash payments on clearing up Ellis Short's mess, even with the parachute payment. With that in mind, most league one teams would like to have that sort of cash flow and player issues.

I hope the EFL gives them Accrington away on a Tuesday night in November.

So, listening to the podcast, SD and CM are not paying the £40m to Ellis Short up front but by future payments secured against future parachute payments I imagine by a debenture, an arrangement that CM was so critical of in the sale of OUFC to Tiger except that what's outstanding in that transaction is future payments from sold players. As I recall, this led CM to suggest that Tiger didn't have a big enough pot to P**s in and that DE was securing to himself money which should be going to the club. So what's different here?
So no real money as such has changed hands? just now waiting to see when SD partners arrive and actually fund the club, didn't SD say that there might be future investment coming in, no prizes for guessing who that is then, looks to me like a front man!

CM comments says it all classless ,why not just say whilst both are boyhood Oxford fans we are here to get Sunderland back up to the championship.

Charlie Methven in "pointed barb intended to provoke at end of monologue" shock!

I find it interesting that they are seeing us as their rivals, wanting to "put one over on us".

Now I'm no PR expert, but would this comment: "Stewart (Donald) and I are boyhood Oxford fans. Ideal result for season is Sunderland to finish 1st, Oxford to finish 2nd, (but) we're gunning to put one over our friends down south." have read better as: "Stewart (Donald) and I are boyhood Oxford fans. Ideal result for season is for both Sunderland and Oxford to win promotion."

I don't suppose the Sunderland fans give two hoots about us, but it would appear from Charlie's comments that this is about proving something to OUFC.

They ought to start the season as odds on favourites. They are now debt free. They have managed to agree to a staggered payment deal, so they have money to spend on the team, they are a one club town, with a 50,000 capacity stadium and an historically large fanbase.

Oh, and they start the season with a nice little head start on the rest of the league, a present from the Premier League, of £38,000,000.00. And next year they'll get another £14,000,000.00. Just for having been in the Premier League a couple of years ago.

If they don't get promoted this season with that kind of advantage over the rest of the division, then they'll have failed. They're running an F1 team in a Formula Three race.
I haven't listened to the interview yet, and who knows what the detail of the takeover and debts are
- they are still playing Premiership / Championship wages to some players?
- they still have balances of transfer fees to pay?
- some or all of the parachute payments will be used to pay off Ellis Short?

So this huge advantage may not be so big after all?

Also given Donald's reputation for overpaying second rate footballers and getting through managers who can't get results with said players, they really need to hit the ground running. No excuses along the lines of "play-off hopes 2018/19 but building a team for the season after".

A very strange comment from Chas bringing OUFC into the mix so prominently. A comment about being OUFC supporters is fair enough but he’s gone too far here.

Winds us up, bemuses the Black Cats etc.

I actually believe they have a very tricky project up there. Still that’s their look out - we have our own club to support.

I want us to get Sunderland away first game of the season. We win and then all give Charlie the moonshine. Silly fucker! Very bitter, and always sniping at the club, in anyway possible.

Could you imagine if it just so happens we play Sunderland late in the season with something like promotion on the line - where do Charlie's loyalties lie then?

Well that really does make for 2 very interesting games next season whatever our league positions are at the time.

1) No OUFC fan would want us to finish beneath any other club
2) There was no need for the comment. He could have simply said "As OUFC fans, we hope both teams do well next season". He has just opened himself up!

Back
Top Bottom