Stewart Donald to buy Sunderland

I don’t think either point is necessarily contradictory to the other.
No, but it was all in the way the comments were made. If a Mackem, I'd have felt motivated by the Donald piece, but a bit condescended to by Methven's.

658d91cfabe1d6238696e869845a95d6.jpg

i reckon stu and Charlie will always be oxford fans at heart. It’s a bit like Eales being a Birmingham city fan but for business he bought oufc. See ken Bates who moved around from Chelsea to Leeds.

I may be going against the grain but I feel the exact same way about Sunderland today as I did months ago - I hope they fail. Just like I want every other club than mine to fail, being owned by an Oxford fan doesn’t change that whatsoever. Nothing personal, they just chose to invest in a sport I have a passion for, in a club who are now in direct competition with us.

Interesting press conference.

Ballsy purchase - with Jack Rodwell still in the building on £70k a week old - and no other current investors old Pa Donald might be a little nervous tonight.
Touch of Cap’n Bob to our mate Chas. Let’s hope he doesn’t end up walking the plank.

No, but it was all in the way the comments were made. If a Mackem, I'd have felt motivated by the Donald piece, but a bit condescended to by Methven's.
CM condescending? Nah. You have it wrong?

He's really condescending and snidely patronising. A 2 for 1 deal
SYGwA97.gif

I may be going against the grain but I feel the exact same way about Sunderland today as I did months ago - I hope they fail. Just like I want every other club than mine to fail, being owned by an Oxford fan doesn’t change that whatsoever. Nothing personal, they just chose to invest in a sport I have a passion for, in a club who are now in direct competition with us.

I'd even go as far to want them to fail even more now. Wigan, Blackburn and Sheffield United (Wilder aside) were just big clubs in our league. I had no real issue with them and thought that if we don't go up then hopefully they will as we lose a massive budget from our competition.

Sunderland have now become different and much of that is due to Charlie. For years the average fan has been told that they were somehow second rate compared to the support he offered. But guess what, we are still here and would never give up on our club no matter what riches were on offer.

Even in the last few months, our Charlie looked to divide our support by talking of unknown foreign investors verses a chairman unable to afford our club. This was apparently evidenced by the fact that Tiger was offsetting his initial investment. Maybe he should have been looking closer at home because he appears to be describing his own business dealings.

We've been constantly called a basket case, but he will truly know one of those since becoming involved in a club that has been in freefall for sometime. The idea of throwing a top league 1 budget in to guarantee promotion could be a massive under estimation. A big clean out is needed before an almost total rebuild of a squad to battle their way out of this league.

And even once they do get back to the Championship, they'd have to put massive investment in to even compete. Similar to DE, I would guess that they can sustain a mid table Championship team but will need deep pockets to do much more.

So whilst many are humble enough to wish SD and Charlie well, I hope they fail and fail big time. And hopefully that will be a result of us going up which will make the whole thing even sweeter!

i reckon stu and Charlie will always be oxford fans at heart. It’s a bit like Eales being a Birmingham city fan but for business he bought oufc. See ken Bates who moved around from Chelsea to Leeds.

I'm sure they all have the best interests of the clubs they bought at heart.

I'd even go as far to want them to fail even more now. Wigan, Blackburn and Sheffield United (Wilder aside) were just big clubs in our league. I had no real issue with them and thought that if we don't go up then hopefully they will as we lose a massive budget from our competition.

Sunderland have now become different and much of that is due to Charlie. For years the average fan has been told that they were somehow second rate compared to the support he offered. But guess what, we are still here and would never give up on our club no matter what riches were on offer.

Even in the last few months, our Charlie looked to divide our support by talking of unknown foreign investors verses a chairman unable to afford our club. This was apparently evidenced by the fact that Tiger was offsetting his initial investment. Maybe he should have been looking closer at home because he appears to be describing his own business dealings.

We've been constantly called a basket case, but he will truly know one of those since becoming involved in a club that has been in freefall for sometime. The idea of throwing a top league 1 budget in to guarantee promotion could be a massive under estimation. A big clean out is needed before an almost total rebuild of a squad to battle their way out of this league.

And even once they do get back to the Championship, they'd have to put massive investment in to even compete. Similar to DE, I would guess that they can sustain a mid table Championship team but will need deep pockets to do much more.

So whilst many are humble enough to wish SD and Charlie well, I hope they fail and fail big time. And hopefully that will be a result of us going up which will make the whole thing even sweeter!

An excellent post Scotchers ( as Charlie loved to describe you! )

CM comments says it all classless ,why not just say whilst both are boyhood Oxford fans we are here to get Sunderland back up to the championship.

So, listening to the podcast, SD and CM are not paying the £40m to Ellis Short up front but by future payments secured against future parachute payments I imagine by a debenture, an arrangement that CM was so critical of in the sale of OUFC to Tiger except that what's outstanding in that transaction is future payments from sold players. As I recall, this led CM to suggest that Tiger didn't have a big enough pot to P**s in and that DE was securing to himself money which should be going to the club. So what's different here?

I find it interesting that they are seeing us as their rivals, wanting to "put one over on us".

Now I'm no PR expert, but would this comment: "Stewart (Donald) and I are boyhood Oxford fans. Ideal result for season is Sunderland to finish 1st, Oxford to finish 2nd, (but) we're gunning to put one over our friends down south." have read better as: "Stewart (Donald) and I are boyhood Oxford fans. Ideal result for season is for both Sunderland and Oxford to win promotion."

I don't suppose the Sunderland fans give two hoots about us, but it would appear from Charlie's comments that this is about proving something to OUFC.

They ought to start the season as odds on favourites. They are now debt free. They have managed to agree to a staggered payment deal, so they have money to spend on the team, they are a one club town, with a 50,000 capacity stadium and an historically large fanbase.

Oh, and they start the season with a nice little head start on the rest of the league, a present from the Premier League, of £38,000,000.00. And next year they'll get another £14,000,000.00. Just for having been in the Premier League a couple of years ago.

If they don't get promoted this season with that kind of advantage over the rest of the division, then they'll have failed. They're running an F1 team in a Formula Three race.

Back
Top Bottom