General State of Play

captainox

Following a discussion about us having ONE clean sheet in the league so far.
I just did a quick comparison to compare this season versus 17 games in other seasons.

Clean sheets column is horrendous. Though we've kept more and also conceded more in 2 others seasons so not the be all and end all of course.
The goals scored column is the most unsurprising concern.

17games.png

Last edited:
Surprised no-one has picked up on the commentary team stating that we were the number 1 team in the league for scoring from set pieces (I assume they mean L1 rather than the whole lot, but...).

The initial reaction was disbelief but then they praised Mous for his role in that achievement. Sadly, they didn't give a source for the stat.

Surprised no-one has picked up on the commentary team stating that we were the number 1 team in the league for scoring from set pieces (I assume they mean L1 rather than the whole lot, but...).

The initial reaction was disbelief but then they praised Mous for his role in that achievement. Sadly, they didn't give a source for the stat.
It was George Elek from the Not The Top 20 podcast and Sky EFL coverage who mentioned it originally on The Wasn't At The Game - The Dub podcast which RadOx have started releasing on a Monday.

Well, somebody has to.

It will be from Opta Analyst.

They have it as 7 set piece goals for Oxford, whilst Port Vale have 9. Not sure if that includes last night.

Currently ‘Set Pieces’ is our top scorer…at this rate ‘Set Pieces’ will be the 20 goal a season striker @bazzer9461 wants each window

I just did a quick comparison to compare this season versus 17 games in other seasons.

Clean sheets column is horrendous. Though we've kept more and also conceded more in 2 others seasons so not the be all and end all of course.

View attachment 10748
This is interesting and perhaps explains the Boards current stance. We are in a better position based on points, position and GD, and have same goals scored than in 2 out of the other 4 seasons at this stage, one of which then saw us in playoffs.
We have the same owners, albeit in different proportions, who brought KR in and supported him through those seasons. We do have the injury to Wildschut which on his previous form would never have been predicted so that may be giving him some slack. A new Chair and CEO may be assessing the situation in the light of that.

On the other hand, we can see that other injuries were predictable, (Baldock), that we have vacant squad places so cannot replace injured players with other experienced squad players (how we miss Williams and Forde), and the performances appear lacking in strategy and tactical nous, especially at home.
Not forgetting the mysterious Jodi Jones situation.

View attachment 10748

I really worry what this will look like at the end of December after these next 2 home games.

Accrington away, Barnsley, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich, Charlton.

I am dreading December, I really am.

I really worry what this will look like at the end of December after these next 2 home games.

Accrington away, Barnsley, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich, Charlton.

I am dreading December, I really am.
What is the average number of points you need to be sure you won't be relegated? I'm guessing around the 40 mark sees League One survival. I think there's a lot of very poor teams in the league this season, and Brannagan has that bit of quality to win matches for us.

What is the average number of points you need to be sure you won't be relegated? I'm guessing around the 40 mark sees League One survival. I think there's a lot of very poor teams in the league this season, and Brannagan has that bit of quality to win matches for us.
Closer to 50 I'd say.

They have it as 7 set piece goals for Oxford, whilst Port Vale have 9. Not sure if that includes last night.

Currently ‘Set Pieces’ is our top scorer…at this rate ‘Set Pieces’ will be the 20 goal a season striker @bazzer9461 wants each window
Not this season we haven’t old son

I thought it was 50- 51
Edit: 30 to go is how I'm looking at it this season and a point a game is not enough

Last edited:

I'm a bit of novice with stats, but doesn't our (near) pre-eminence at 'Set-Pieces' imply that we're not so good at scoring from what used to be called 'Open-Play'*? Where are we in that table?

* Sorry if this term is archaic for you objective analysts, I expect you call it Fg for 'Field-Goals'. How's Brannagan's Line-Backering been this semester, btw?

50 is the figure usually quoted, though last season Fleetwood stayed up with a lot fewer, just 40 - which is very unusual. The season before you needed 48 or so.
Doesn't surprise me, last season was a bit of a freak with the points totals. 76 is normally enough for play-offs, but we beat that and could still only finish 8th.

Doesn't surprise me, last season was a bit of a freak with the points totals. 76 is normally enough for play-offs, but we beat that and could still only finish 8th.
There were some really crap teams last year who the top teams pretty much walked over. This meant the teams at the bottom got really low points while the tops team's tallies were inflated somewhat, which is why the "we got 76 points so were really unlucky to not make the playoffs" argument never held any truck (not aimed at you, just putting it out there).

*edit, just saw the above two posts. Apologies all.

Last season wasn't a success.

Back
Top Bottom