Ex Player Sean Clare

In the video posted above he looks like an attacking centre/left midfielder. Or am I missing something?

You're missing that we've decided we'd like him to play right-back.

He's played pretty much every position in his career. Of course the highlights are going to come where he's playing in more attacking roles.

Welcome to the kid. Be interesting to see what this'll mean to Long, who, other than 2nd half of last season, has always played 2nd fiddle.

In the video posted above he looks like an attacking centre/left midfielder. Or am I missing something?

This shows the position he played in each game last season and it is a mix of right-back and midfield.

Welcome lad and I hope you have a very successful spell with us.

Last edited:
I think that's his best position. Did OK for us at RB but not naturally defensively minded IMO. Much better going forward. Hopefully you have an attack minded manager?

Karl Robinson likes at least 1 of his full backs to be attacking. We had Chris Cadden playing right back last season up until January and he would often bomb forward whilst a midfielder would cover. Clare won't have any trouble being allowed to bomb forward.

The video focuses on the goals he's scored so these seem to be when he played further forward so it's a bit lopsided.

My son who lives in Glasgow and is a close follower of Scottish football has this to say about Sean Clare: 'I have to say, I think it’s a fantastic signing. Showed real potential in the SPL last year and whilst he’s clearly raw I think some of the ambiguity from the Hearts' fans towards him can be put down to the fact he’s quite an outspoken young black man who is not afraid to raise his voice against social injustice. Very excited to see what he can do. Could prove to be a real bargain!'

Jeez you h1b5 fans are unbelievable. This as most of you have realised is utter nonsense. Sean unfortunately was part of a poor footballing team and struggled to impose himself. A lot of Hearts fans are sad to see him go.

To sum hibs up Oxford fans imagine you’re playing Swindon in a cup final and you’ve won it numerous times and they’ve never won it in their entire history. Biggest game ever and you hump them 5-1. Beautiful.

Anyway good luck for the season ahead.

I think we have recruited very cleverly so far, and I can see us having a very strong season.

I can’t wait to see who comes in next, because KR is assembling a very strong squad.

Welcome aboard Sean Clare, and can’t wait to see what you can do.

Forum surfing suggests that most Hearts and Gills fan rate him on the pitch a comment on what a nice person he is off the pitch. Then there's Mr Angry the Wednesday fan???.....

"He's an arrogant little **** , he decided he'd play hardball with Sheffield Wednesday and be greedy with trying for a new contract the chairman stood his ground. Clare was on trial at Swansea but they didnt want him, plus some bullshit about Spurs wanting him, he moaned on about wanting to move back home to London and ended up at hearts when no one wanted him."

He is basically a youth development player who had 1 good game for The Wednesday and turned into bertie big bollax, he's that arrogant he even gives himself the hashtag #flair on twitter..."

My son who lives in Glasgow and is a close follower of Scottish football has this to say about Sean Clare: 'I have to say, I think it’s a fantastic signing. Showed real potential in the SPL last year and whilst he’s clearly raw I think some of the ambiguity from the Hearts' fans towards him can be put down to the fact he’s quite an outspoken young black man who is not afraid to raise his voice against social injustice. Very excited to see what he can do. Could prove to be a real bargain!'

Sorry but that is absolute nonsense. The reason for Hearts fans ambiguity is that he started off playing really bad.
Perhaps this was because he was forced into the team too early when still injured, he was put into a number of positions by a clueless manager in Levein and he simply didn't seem to be trying hard enough. Whether his fault or not, THIS is why he got pelters from fans, not any other reason.

Regardless of the abuse he got early on, he kept his head up and last season he started coming into his game and looked very promising at right back and right mid. Good pace, exceptional penalty taker and good from range. Hearts supporters quickly came around and gave him the praise he deserved.

I am a Hearts fan and I simply must dispell that utter nonsense you said. I (and many other Jambos) am hugely appreciative of Sean being outspoken for civil rights and social issues. Regardless of how he played over his spell at Tynecastle, I am proud he was a Hearts player because he is a smart young man with his head screwed on and he's using his voice to be a positive role model. I am sad to see him go because Scottish football (as a whole) needs more voices like his.

He was getting abuse from fans well over a year before he began using his platform to comment on black lives matter stuff. It was purely his performance on the pitch. Nothing more.

It all sounds like typical Celtic exceptionalism, as if every team's fans are racist except their own. As if Celtic are some bastion of left wing moral value. I can tell you that I've encountered just as much racism at Celtic as I have at Rangers, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, St Mirren, Dundee or anywhere else. It's not an issue exclusive to our club.

Frankly, how dare you level such a completely uncalled for, unfair and factually inaccurate accusation at Hearts support considering the overwhelming majority of supporters of any club, including us, AREN'T racist and are completely normal mature people. I suspect you know that though and were just having a dig. Tribalism. Football fans can't help themselves.

Anyway, you have a promising young player on your hands. He struggled with confidence and a clearly unstable environment, but here's hoping he can kick on and do the business for your lot.

FAO Mystic Meg....Who should we believe about the wisdom of this signing who hasn't yet played in an Oxford shirt.........?

Sorry but that is absolute nonsense. The reason for Hearts fans ambiguity is that he started off playing really bad.
Perhaps this was because he was forced into the team too early when still injured, he was put into a number of positions by a clueless manager in Levein and he simply didn't seem to be trying hard enough. Whether his fault or not, THIS is why he got pelters from fans, not any other reason.

Regardless of the abuse he got early on, he kept his head up and last season he started coming into his game and looked very promising at right back and right mid. Good pace, exceptional penalty taker and good from range. Hearts supporters quickly came around and gave him the praise he deserved.

I am a Hearts fan and I simply must dispell that utter nonsense you said. I (and many other Jambos) am hugely appreciative of Sean being outspoken for civil rights and social issues. Regardless of how he played over his spell at Tynecastle, I am proud he was a Hearts player because he is a smart young man with his head screwed on and he's using his voice to be a positive role model. I am sad to see him go because Scottish football (as a whole) needs more voices like his.

He was getting abuse from fans well over a year before he began using his platform to comment on black lives matter stuff. It was purely his performance on the pitch. Nothing more.

It all sounds like typical Celtic exceptionalism, as if every team's fans are racist except their own. As if Celtic are some bastion of left wing moral value. I can tell you that I've encountered just as much racism at Celtic as I have at Rangers, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, St Mirren, Dundee or anywhere else. It's not an issue exclusive to our club.

Frankly, how dare you level such a completely uncalled for, unfair and factually inaccurate accusation at Hearts support considering the overwhelming majority of supporters of any club, including us, AREN'T racist and are completely normal mature people. I suspect you know that though and were just having a dig. Tribalism. Football fans can't help themselves.

Anyway, you have a promising young player on your hands. He struggled with confidence and a clearly unstable environment, but here's hoping he can kick on and do the business for your lot.
Well that certainly put him in his place! In fairness the original comment was a pretty scandalous generalisation.......

Welcome to Oxford United, Sean. Hope you enjoy what many will hope to be our year next season.
Two of my friends are Gillingham fans and they both said that following his loan period they really wanted him to stay.
Looks like Gillinghams loss is our gain.
Starting to look forward to my season ticket arriving

Another Hearts supporter here. You have signed a very talented player who most Heart supporters are very sad to see leave. Most of his time at Hearts he was poor and looked lost in a side lacking confidence. Sean clearly had ability but became a target for criticism from frustrated supporters. Where others may have given up Sean kept going and towards the end of his time at Hearts he was often our best player.

Disappointed that anyone would suggest he wasn't liked by Hearts fan due to his views, simply untrue. I think you have signed a very good player with potential to improve further. Not surprised to see him leave after our treatment by the SPFL last season and really hope he continues the form he showed towards the end of his time at Hearts.

Back
Top Bottom