Robinson is a clown

Sorry guys meant Holmes. Not sure what I was thinking there but was interrupted mid typing by the wife to go to B&Q.

My point about Hall was yes he could be a great asset but in no way should he have been relied upon to be a vital part of the team. A really decent backup player was always needed given his injury history.
As for Left backs having cover here was a necessity. Ruffles is not really a left back and Long is prone to injury and relatively unproven. Garbutt may have in KR's mind been a big signing but no adequate cover was a massive gamble. Maybe if we had signed one less Number 10 we would have had th cover which has proven vital.

MApps first season picked up around Jan when we started making decent signings his first transfer window he started mid way through and the scouting system he inherited was shot. Neither excuse can be said for the last one.

The fact that targets turned us down was a good indication of us not identifying reasonable targets. It reminds me of Man U after Fergie left They had such a stupidly unrealistic wish list they ended up with nobody signed from it. Now who wrote our wish list and how much fault KR and the scouting team share over this I don't know but maybe we were looking in the wrong places. We are not a big fish in this league and our list should have been based on that. Otherwise just look at the mess.

I don't buy this was an extraordinary transfer window. It was not totally out of the ordinary in any other respect other than it seems for some reason we started chasing WOW signings without the budget to do so and that we forgot to balance the squad.

MApp’s first season in league 1 with us was a poor start and that was after MApp had 5 transfer windows to put his team together. KR has had 1 transfer window to put a whole squad together so far. A transfer window which was like no other due to the World Cup and the new date at which the window shut. A lot of clubs up and down the country struggled to get the signings they wanted and a lot were done late into pre season. It wasn’t just OUFC.
Mapps first season in league 1 was with a league 2 squad minus Roofe, Hylton, ODowda, Wright, Mullins and probably a few others Ive forgotten about. Hardly surprising we didnt fly out of the traps.

• React
Reactions: Oxe
Understatement: recruitment in the summer could have gone better

But was that really all KR’s fault?

He is vastly experienced in this job so it makes no sense to me that, like some rookie manager, he would be chasing players we had no chance of getting.

And besides you realise that pretty quickly. Omar Bogle and Lyle Taylor made it clear early on we were not a possible destination

Looking back to the Ireland trip there was frustration in his part that he couldn’t get deals over the line. Then Tiger showed up for a day and he signed off a couple

I suspect the chairman not being at the club every week, let alone every day makes things much harder. When Kr is trying to get a yes or no, Tiger cannot be raised.

Still, the sort of players we’ve got are exactly the sort you’d expect a club of our size and budget to be in for. We’ve probably got one too many gambles - and far too late in the day - but that’s where we’re at

I think the really big problem is that the known quantities have let us down. The two full backs. With their pedigree Kr was not taking a risk. But Garbutt and McMahin have been terrible letdowns.

Unfortunately I can see further problems becoming apparent. I’m very worried about Brannagans ability to dictate. In his position everything comes through him. He’s our playmaker. But he doesn’t seem a playmaker at all to me. He’s another no 10.

How many players that KR signed have the same agent? I believe you did make reference to this on a previous post.

How many players that KR signed have the same agent? I believe you did make reference to this on a previous post.
MApp’s first season in league 1 with us was a poor start and that was after MApp had 5 transfer windows to put his team together. KR has had 1 transfer window to put a whole squad together so far. A transfer window which was like no other due to the World Cup and the new date at which the window shut. A lot of clubs up and down the country struggled to get the signings they wanted and a lot were done late into pre season. It wasn’t just OUFC.

Comparing Mapp an

Holmes, Browne, Smith, Tsun Dai

Firstly I hope there is no implication in this post that anyone who has criticism of KR is being labelled a doomsayer. Because I think given what has happened this summer that a lot of criticism of KR is justified. Get over yourself!

A lot of the changes you mentioned happened during last season (and some like the sponsor I doubt has any effect on the management of the team). We have had had the same manager and owner through the whole preseason and we have only bought in one new coach. KR has been generously backed (according to him) to fix the mistakes of the previous manager. Lets also remember he arrived last season so its hardly like he's hitiing the ground now. Personally I think a lot of managers would have done massively better under these circumstances. Head Physio left & had to be replaced. Under 23's Created etc. He was fire fighting to avoid relegation when he arrived towards the end of last season which he managed to pull off! Rebuilding could only start after the season finished.

It has only been four games but four games where we have massively struggled 3 of which we were awful. Four games with no points and 13 goals conceded, and lets face it its not like these are the first four games KR has helmed at this club. Agree soundly beaten by Barnsley and Portsmouth. Fleetwood were no better than us, a draw would have been a fair result. We were better than Stanley, very unlucky and don't forget we comfortably beat Coventry. Selective memory!

To me the summer was an utter shambles. At a guess I reckon KR was totally unreal with his targets and few of them payed off leaving us scrabbling around at the last minute. But if you want a list of mistakes KR has made that a decent manger may not have lets start with these garnered for other posts:
- Making Hall a key team player when he was never going to last a season fit.Perhaps you should apply for the Head Physio role, since you seem to know more than they do?
- Letting the squad have only one left back Agree this is definitely a mistake.
- Not buying enough striking options (possibly due to his utter tactical inflexibility). thus relying on a player in Obika who many of us wanted let go. Obika was signed by Clueless Clotet on a 2 year contract. Letting him go costs money. KR has a budget to work within. Agree another striker as a loan would be advisable.
- Not signing a holding midfielder till the last minute (worse when you consider he had a good one on trial early in preseason) Doughty plays for Swindon and even though he started well, they are hardly setting the division alight. I'm personally not sure Hanson is the player we thought he was, but regardless of that, he was holding out for the best offer. Time will tell if KR was right to do that.
- Creating a decent defense (does Nelson even want to play for us, why is a man we would not commit to a contract made captain?) Agree Nelson shouldn't be captain under the circumstances. Last game was an improvement performance wise - LB position still an issue which hopefully McMahon or Norman can switch to or we get another loan.
- or effective strong midfield Jury is out until Hanson has had a chance to find his feet.
- Signing then playing unfit players (Mackie why oh why, and Lambert can he play much at all?) As I said Mackie is a concern. However 'Holmes' wasn't known to have a major immediate problem unless you know otherwise again? He got kicked all over the pitch against Fleetwood, which was of the ref's making not down to KR. KR also signed Whyte, Browne, Norman and promoted Baptiste, all of whom have shown early signs of real potential. Selective memory again.

KR has made some huge mistakes preseason that has set the club back miles on the pitch at the start of this season. Some of these mistakes are going to be difficult to fix and may have to wait for us try and do so in Jan. Yes we have had some bad luck with injuries but there are so many problems in the squad that even with the injured players we would still have issues. We are currently where we are on merit not by luck. The question now is is KR good enough to fix this quickly because if he can not there is no doubt in the great interests of the club he will have to go. If it comes to that he had a good chance with us this season to make us a success and like Pep last he will have blown it by mostly his own mistakes. There you go again with your Crystal Ball. How do you know we would still be where we are if the key injuries hadn't happened? Overall you are missing the point. The performances, with the exception of Coventry and most parts of Stanley, have been terrible. The LB, potentially midfield and a striker position is a concern. However sacking a manager after just 4 (5) games is totally knee-jerk and irrational behaviour. Sure if there aren't signs of improvement by circa 10 games, then Tiger will have a decision to make.

DorestTelloww please calm down. This is not a personal attack on you. This is a debate and if I have upset you rather I am sorry for that.

I would like to talk further on a couple of points though.
- I must admit I am not quite understanding the whole U23 but not playing them in a league thing, although I am not sure how much of a distraction or benefit it had on preparing the first team for this season. If it was a distraction then maybe at this time it was a mistake. I don't think changing the Physio (to one already at the club I believe) effected KR either.
- To say Fleetwood were not better than us or indeed Stanley is very subjective. We did conceded over 2 goals in both games and did indeed loose both of them. It maybe this could be considered encouraging but given where these teams were predicted to end up the results are still concerning.
- I do not need to be a physio to guess that Hall is a injury risk. Last season he managed only 17 games. It was obvious he was struggling with his injury and because on his day he can be superb I think it was right to keep him (maybe on a appearance based contact) but I would ensure there was good cover.
- Obika is on a two year contract (and i think the purchase was agreed pre Pep) but that means little Pekalski is also under contract but he proves you can offload the liability.
- We have badly missed a holding midfielder in the early games, and we had what looked like a decentish one preseason which we did not sign. I am sure if the squad was to be balanced properly we could have found room in the budget for him (it looks like there was areas of waste which should not have been made, like Shearer).
- Injuries so far would have done nothing to effect our defence. Nor would they have sorted out the lack of stikers. It may granted have improved midfield but I think we would still have had problems.

BTW I would like to point out I have not in any posts so far said sack the manager.But after Coventry if we still have no points on the board I would hope the club is putting pressure on KR. I hope KR sorts it out I really do. We are all Oxford fans and the success of the club is what is important.

Last edited:

Both KR and Tiger had time to assess the situation many months before the summer so knew or should have known what needed to be done, and I’m afraid to say they failed, big time.

Even you must admit that. Be real for once.

Both KR and Tiger had time to assess the situation many months before the summer so knew or should have known what needed to be done, and I’m afraid to say they failed, big time.

Even you must admit that. Be real for once.

If the season finished today then yes they would of failed but it doesn’t. It hasn’t been a good start but to say they have failed after 4 games is a bit dramatic considering there are 41 games left in the season.

Interesting that the teams who are flying pretty much kept their squads together from last year and so have game time together in the tank. I maintain this is what we need if we are to challenge, and this year will be one of consolidation. Either that or sign outstanding loanees who play great together, stay fit, and can get you up (given you would need to upgrade again in a higher league anyway). We have tried that - its always a tough bag to get the right mix - and been "unlucky" again both with their injuries (and form). We dont have any strikers and are too reliant on them creating space for midfielders.

Our approach reminds me of a horse trainer I know in France. He took trotters from the bigger stables which had won previously but then had become dogged with injuries, and tried to nurse them back to health. One or two made it and won again, but then seemed to be moved on by their owners to a bigger stable so he saw little long term benefit. Most blew up through the race and were just a cost for months, until they looked like coming back and the same happened again.

In the end, he got so fed up of them performing so well on the training ground but not on matchday, that he started jockeying them himself. Lets hope our boys stay fit enough and start to play as a unit so that we dont see Shaun Derry leading the line.

COYY - Things can only get better (starting today)

Tongue in cheek but how many of our players have worked with KR before? How many of them are currently injured? Wasnt our biggest problem at this stage last year that the "homies" brought in by Pep werent match fit? Too early to draw parallels maybe but I sensed in one of his interviews there was a mention of losing the dressing room? Dunno if anyone else picked that up? Just dont get how a complete team almost that KR brought in, I assume understanding and committing to playing in his style, and including his "homies" seem to be unable to replicate whats happening at training. .

Just want to say it was a better post match interview from Karl today, well done.

Last edited:
Just want to say it was a better post match interview from Karl today, we’ll done.

I’m sure KR will sleep better tonight now he has your approval of his post match comments.

Interesting that the teams who are flying pretty much kept their squads together from last year and so have game time together in the tank.

No better example of this than Peterborough.

Excellent interview from RH too - seriously committed attitude even as a loan player - good to see and if we are so tight knit and remain so, the results should follow. Set pieces were much better and theres no reason if confidence is high that we cant get something out of Sunderland (is it televised?) - the next 7 or 8 games look much more winnable and Whyte is hatching quickly and will be a real threat in this league. .We still have players we have signed and havent seen but we also have so many youngsters and fringe players who look exciting and can be thrown in for experience at places like Newport. Onwards and upwards and a good block of 5 games will allow us to create a buffer from some of the dross that grace L1 (Cant believe after one results in 5 games we are off the bottom and 5 points off the PO). So nice to be positive on a Sunday

Last edited:
No better example of this than Peterborough.
Clough : "I think the teams that have started so well have traded well in the summer - Peterborough United, Portsmouth, Barnsley hardly lost a player.
"They are the sort of settled teams that have started the season well with a few victories and the confidence that brings."

Kettle needs to be reviewed - got his own agenda - hes like Trump and if criticised by players and fans really let them have it. See this video (which I wasnt aware of) where he blows for time a second before the ball hits the net. Accy must have really pissed him off, or he had it down as a banker draw.

Kettle needs to be reviewed - got his own agenda - hes like Trump and if criticised by players and fans really let them have it. See this video (which I wasnt aware of) where he blows for time a second before the ball hits the net. Accy must have really pissed him off, or he had it down as a banker draw.

That decision by him helped us get promotion in 15/16, weirdly enough.

Totally inconsistent though. How long did it take him to make a decision if it was a corner or goal kick by the way? It's like he wants everyone to be watching what he's doing, like he's the centre of attention.

That decision by him helped us get promotion in 15/16, weirdly enough.

Totally inconsistent though. How long did it take him to make a decision if it was a corner or goal kick by the way? It's like he wants everyone to be watching what he's doing, like he's the centre of attention.
Histrionic personality disorder (HPD) is defined by the American Psychiatric Association as a personality disorder characterized by a pattern of excessive attention-seeking emotions, usually beginning in early adulthood, including inappropriately seductive behavior and an excessive need for approval.

A person with this disorder might also:

• Be uncomfortable unless he or she is the center of attention
  • Dress provocatively and/or exhibit inappropriately seductive or flirtatious behavior
  • Shift emotions rapidly
  • Act very dramatically, as though performing before an audience, with exaggerated emotions and expressions, yet appears to lack sincerity
  • Be overly concerned with physical appearance
  • Constantly seek reassurance or approval
  • Be gullible and easily influenced by others
  • Be excessively sensitive to criticism or disapproval
  • Have a low tolerance for frustration and be easily bored by routine, often beginning projects without finishing them or skipping from one event to another (Accy goal scored 1 second after IT finished - link to 1,4)
  • Not think before acting
  • Make rash decisions
  • Be self-centered and rarely show concern for others
  • Have difficulty maintaining relationships, often seeming fake or shallow in their dealings with others
  • Threaten or attempt suicide to get attention

LOL

Back
Top Bottom