National News Rishi Sunak

I’m going to sneak into a hospital, wear a medical gown and mask as a disguise, and begin performing an emergency operation that I’m completely and utterly unqualified to be carrying out, like something out of a classic Chevy Chase movie. Then when people cotton on and drag me out of the place in handcuffs, I’m going to start yelling, “I just had different ideas! You can’t arrest me - you can’t even prove it wouldn’t have worked!

As a former butcher working in the health service the temptation to "have a go" is huge. :)
People are just upright pigs - same basic organ layout, similar dimensions etc.
Only thing I couldn`t cope with is things like organs still moving/pulsing during surgery.

Sunak should get on well with Starmer. After all they both stabbed their previous boss in the back.

The UK GDP is, roughly, £3.2 Trillion.
Makes a bill of £45 billion look like small change really.
Now whilst it was "unfunded" ,the idea was to stimulate growth from its current state of torpor.
More growth = more tax = more revenue.
As an idea its not without merit its just different.

Lets see what Rishi comes up with in a week or so.
How can you be pro growth but anti consumerism and/or equally anti immigration.

Surely growth has to come from either people buying more stuff, or more people buy the same stuff 🤔

Surely growth has to come from either people buying more stuff, or more people buy the same stuff 🤔
You can export more stuff, and then have more money to spend. But we’ve just told our main customers to f**k off while we pursue the valuable Australian market.

You can "manage" both and retain more within the UK Economy.

Consumerism is personal choice - I buy less than most, but buy better quality.
Whereas some might want the latest i-phone I might be more inclined to save up for a new shed/garden fence etc - priorities change! :)
Growth is driven by spending, saving and "living life" - if you retain more of what you earn then there is more to spend.

I have no problem with legal, managed migration. FFS my Dad was an immigrant!
I have a huge problem with people making illegal, dangerous crossings from a safe country.
That doesn`t mean "don`t let them in" it means DO IT PROPERLY so those same people don`t end up in the black/grey economy being exploited, often in situations worse than they left.

Whereas some might want the latest i-phone I might be more inclined to save up for a new shed/garden fence etc - priorities change! :)
Growth is driven by spending, saving and "living life" - if you retain more of what you earn then there is more to spend.

I have a huge problem with people making illegal, dangerous crossings from a safe country.
That doesn`t mean "don`t let them in" it means DO IT PROPERLY so those same people don`t end up in the black/grey economy being exploited, often in situations worse than they left.

Erm, but if you don't retain it, then surely you've already spent it?

Or am I missing something?

So if spending more money helps drive the desire for growth which seems to the holy grail for the Westminster crew… is that the real reason for all the price increases, so we have to spend more to just exist , I must admit that my purchases on the “high street” are zero , so I am not much help

We had economic growth from 2010 to 2019 during which time many saw a fall in their real wage and the gig economy took hold whilst the rich got 'considerably*' richer. Why expect anything different with the next period of growth? 🤷‍♂️

*must be said in a Yorkshire accent.

That must have made Brexit a very difficult decision for you?

That must have made Brexit a very difficult decision for you?

Not really, as my views have changed over time as has the EU.

Joining the EEC was a good thing - 100%. UK PLC was in a bit of a state at the time and it certainly helped the economy.

Alongside the unity of trading, standardisation of products/regulation there was nothing inherently "wrong" with the Common Market as the referendum in 1975 proved.

However it then "overreached" as it morphed into the EU and all the extra bits that came with it... we should have had a referendum on Maastricht in 1993, but parliament decided (just!) what was best for us and that ignited a lot of anti-EU resentment in a lot of people

A lot of that was released in 2016.

But there has to be proper legal routes. Telling someone in Afghanistan who worked for the British (but via a contractor so wasn't accepted for the evacuation) that they have to travel to a British Consulate to provide biometric info, then return home to wait for their application to be processed (weeks at the moment) is not greatly helpful for their health.

He needs to pick the best people. JRM has probably burned his bridges which is a shame as he had the makings of a good business secretary.
Nadhim Zahawi appeared competent during the vaccines rollout.
I wish Rishi well.He certainly has his work cut out

But there has to be proper legal routes. Telling someone in Afghanistan who worked for the British (but via a contractor so wasn't accepted for the evacuation) that they have to travel to a British Consulate to provide biometric info, then return home to wait for their application to be processed (weeks at the moment) is not greatly helpful for their health.
Provide the biometric/documentary information, then start the journey, with a stay in a safe holding centre if needed.
Everything checks out then carry on.
Its not difficult really. 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom