National News Rishi Sunak

I don't want to be rude but you really don't understand how council tax works.

The tax is based on what a property's value would have been in 1991 and it's staggeringly unfair. Why are properties not revalued? Ask the government as only it can sanction a change such as this to the system. Values have nothing to do with Khan or Hudspeth even? Why are there not more bands for the massive expensive properties? Again ask the government. You see a pattern emerging? It's fixed. Councils have little say or control other than to set the tax for each band in their area. And then the government undemocratically caps the increase. Let councils set whatever tax they like. The public will soon vote them out if they don't like it. People can choose to have crap services if that is what they want.

What is anything "worth" ? Least of all property.

I don't want to be rude but you really don't understand how council tax works.

The tax is based on what a property's value would have been in 1991 and it's staggeringly unfair. Why are properties not revalued? Ask the government as only it can sanction a change such as this to the system. Values have nothing to do with Khan or Hudspeth even? Why are there not more bands for the massive expensive properties? Again ask the government. You see a pattern emerging? It's fixed. Councils have little say or control other than to set the tax for each band in their area. And then the government undemocratically caps the increase. Let councils set whatever tax they like. The public will soon vote them out if they don't like it. People can choose to have crap services if that is what they want.
I know it’s based on 1991. My thoughts are that it needs to be revalued based on more recent values. I’m also with you that bands should be extended beyond A to H. Having seen a programme recently with properties in Mayfair priced at £35million there must be some scope to increase council tax beyond what is paid now

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see state pension age increase further, as well as being means tested.

The law now requiring all employers to provide access to personal pension schemes is also the first steps to reducing the state burden in many years to come.
I’d agree on everything you say there. I turn 66 next month so I suppose at least my pension won’t be delayed any further. Wife had hers moved from 60 to 66 when she only had a couple of years to work to get it.
What must be clear is that everyone will be footing the Bill for Covid for many many years

I know it’s based on 1991. My thoughts are that it needs to be revalued based on more recent values. I’m also with you that bands should be extended beyond A to H. Having seen a programme recently with properties in Mayfair priced at £35million there must be some scope to increase council tax beyond what is paid now
They absolutely do you are right. The only reason the old rating system fell into disrepute (and was replaced by council tax via poll tax) was for this exact same reason. When council tax was introduced policians knew it would suffer the same fate if property values were not regularly reset. The problem is, at any reset there will be winners and loser. The
winners will keep schtum, the losers will kick up a stink. I'm afraid it's a case of politicians not having the proverbial balls to make the correct but difficult decision.

They absolutely do you are right. The only reason the old rating system fell into disrepute (and was replaced by council tax via poll tax) was for this exact same reason. When council tax was introduced policians knew it would suffer the same fate if property values were not regularly reset. The problem is, at any reset there will be winners and loser. The
winners will keep schtum, the losers will kick up a stink. I'm afraid it's a case of politicians not having the proverbial balls to make the correct but difficult decision.
i agree entirely. Their hand may well be forced now with the countrys finance in such a mess. It certainly needs updating. It is certainly very unfair that council tax payers at the bottom of the scale pay disproportionate amounts compared to those that often easily pay a good deal more

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see state pension age increase further, as well as being means tested.

The law now requiring all employers to provide access to personal pension schemes is also the first steps to reducing the state burden in many years to come.

When the UK state pension was introduced in the 40s, the average life expectancy in Britain was 65. So the man right on the average of the distribution would be dying about the time he got his pension.

Now, in 2021, the average life expectancy in Britain is 81. So, even allowing for the fact that the state pension age is going up to 67, the man right on the average of the distribution is expecting to get a pension for 14 years.

Is it any surprise that massive holes are appearing in how to pay for this?!?
Both a further increase in the state pension age, and means testing are just inevitable consequences of the basic maths!

Personally, I'm working on the expectation that I won't get a state pension (wherever I'm retiring) before I'm 70, and that because I'm earning a decent wage now, it probably won't be very much even then.

More easy money for the respectable thieves of this world.

Give us a shout when you dedicate your entire life to the job you were born into.
Give us a shout when you are still working at 94.
Give us a shout when every waking minute of your life is under scrutiny and decided by others.
Give us a shout when you are the most respected and respectful Head of State in the World.

The Treasury would be in line for up to £659m a year from offshore wind after handing the Queen a share worth close to £220m a year...... wonder what the Treasury will be spending the £659m on? Yes...... us.... the people.

That envy and jealousy is bubbling again.

GSTQ. 🇬🇧

Give us a shout when you dedicate your entire life to the job you were born into.
Give us a shout when you are still working at 94.
Give us a shout when every waking minute of your life is under scrutiny and decided by others.
Give us a shout when you are the most respected and respectful Head of State in the World.
Doesn't justify stealing from your people. I have no problem with the Lizzy, wonderful person, I have a serious problem with the monarchy.

And you would have thought this one would have had enough out of the trough already without having to resort to this.

Maybe some councils should have done the same for their housing stock........... 1.7 million of them..... (not that I am complaining on that one!)

I don’t think I’m an envious person and those that work hard deserve the fruits of their labour. There are plenty of people doing jobs at the m’ment for cash in hand for example.
one of the gripes I do have is that the rateable values on multi million pound homes in London being about a council tax rating of not much more than £2000pa. I know a friend in Fulham who pays less council tax on a four bed property than I do in a small house 30 miles outside London. At the same Sadia Khan complains of underfunding for hospitals and the railways. The cost of venturing in to London by car is prohibitive if it was possible at the moment.
As for Rishi Sunak, I find him a breath of fresh air. Someone who is willing to listen and help small businesses when he can. I see him as a potential prime minister.
I am a bit concerned about how the Trade deficit will be reduced. I am sure that will be paid over a long period of say fifty years or more. The question is who will pay for it. Will it be pensioners, motorists or students who have to contribute?

Called it..............

And the conservative members who voted for Truss over him due to his ethnicity.

Are you also joining the "casual racist card club"? As pathetic as your self anointed forum leader if so.

My vote for Truss was based on her being "clean" and having a different path to follow, even though we never got the opportunity to see where it went. She was not tainted by party gate, nor the other issues that Rishi will now get intensely scrutinised for.

Are you also joining the "casual racist card club"? As pathetic as your self anointed forum leader if so.

My vote for Truss was based on her being "clean" and having a different path to follow, even though we never got the opportunity to see where it went. She was not tainted by party gate, nor the other issues that Rishi will now get intensely scrutinised for.
No-one is saying you voted for Truss over Sunak due to ethnicity issues but I bet a lot of other Tory Party Members did based on their average demographic. Just need to listen to that call into LBC from a Tory Member the other day which was signposted on this forum.

During that vote I heard staunch Conservatives state in my earshot - 'we don't want him, he's not the right colour' and similar brazen statements.

No-one is saying you voted for Truss over Sunak due to ethnicity issues but I bet a lot of other Tory Party Members did based on their average demographic. Just need to listen to that call into LBC from a Tory Member the other day which was signposted on this forum.

During that vote I heard staunch Conservatives state in my earshot - 'we don't want him, he's not the right colour' and similar brazen statements.
Yep, but EY got his old blue blinkers on and went off on one instead of addressing the point

The best outcome in the circumstances. I wonder if there is enough like Chope who now want a GE which may put pressure on him.
Yep. The Tory Party had chosen its leader now let the public choose their preferred PM.

Back
Top Bottom