Retained list

We should always look to put our strongest side out. Our youth players have been loaned out to clubs such Hampton and Richmond, 4/5 leagues below us, and hardly pulling up trees. Even Napa, has shown himself to be very lightweight, pushed off the ball far too easily.
What do you have against younger players , as you always seem very quick to write them off? Do you just not want a youth or development wing at the club at all?

Napa is no different to how COD was when he first broke into the side - exciting but lightweight. But, he was eased in, and given run outs here and there as he matured and strengthened, and now look at him!
Long only went out to Hampton, as we already had links there and to get him some game time after a long injury. Once fit, which hopefully he is, then there is no reason to suspect he is not worthy of a first team squad place. Why else would we offer him another year?
Baptiste is still there and will be playing in the playoffs for them, all useful experience, while Stevens has been doing very well at Tamworth all season

The first wave of releases, none all that surprising. I'm not sure what Sam Long has on someone in the club, don't doubt he's a lovely lad in need of games, but spends too much time injured. Can't afford that with a smaller squad.

I'm not sure about that?

KR did say earlier that he wanted to see the loaned out players perform himself, before making his decisions on their futures with us.

Harsh on long as well he’s done very well out on loan apparently. And Hopkins has scored more goals in the youth and dev squad than most of our first team put together. If u don’t play them how do they improve and get better ? Dickie had only play on loan at l2 level before we gave him a start. He wasn’t considered our strongest side, until we played him. Any youngster coming in could put in a good performance, stake a claim for next season and leave us all saying bloody hell, why hasn’t he been on the bench instead of mehmeti all season
You play them when they are ready.
MAPP Pep and more recently DF and KR have thought that canice and napa have been good enough to play.
The coaching staff have to decide and there is a huge gap between the U23 and first team (as the Man City guys have found out)

Harsh on long as well he’s done very well out on loan apparently. And Hopkins has scored more goals in the youth and dev squad than most of our first team put together. If u don’t play them how do they improve and get better ? Dickie had only play on loan at l2 level before we gave him a start. He wasn’t considered our strongest side, until we played him. Any youngster coming in could put in a good performance, stake a claim for next season and leave us all saying bloody hell, why hasn’t he been on the bench instead of mehmeti all season
You play them when they are ready.
MAPP Pep and more recently DF and KR have thought that canice and napa have been good enough to play.
The coaching staff have to decide and there is a huge gap between the U23 and first team (as the Man City guys have found out)

Exactly. And I have a feeling a couple of the dev squad strikers will be close to being ready, the amount of good reports and goals they have got this season, and the fact they are being kept on to be part of the new u23 side. Which I think was said we have already signed 4/5 extra players for next season who will push on and also attempt to break into the first team

I'm not sure about that?

KR did say earlier that he wanted to see the loaned out players perform himself, before making his decisions on their futures with us.
A years contract to have a look at a player is a bit much for me. It would do his career better to get regular first team football.

A years contract to have a look at a player is a bit much for me. It would do his career better to get regular first team football.
Presumably in this case he was meaning watching Long on loan at Hampton & Richmond for the latter part of the season, rather than giving him a year to look at him.
If he can shake off the injuries that have plagued him thus far (and he came through the H&R loan unscathed) then he has shown some promise in his games so far, holding down a first team place at times already.
He and Carroll should be able to play their part next season and will certainly provide cover across the back line and even defensive midfield.

No surprise Ashby went, or indeed that he's rocked up at City.
However, I think what you say perhaps is more pertinent to Roberts, who I expect to get a club at L2/conf National level before teh summer is out and will probably thrive with regular football away from a troubled few years at OUFC.

It will be interesting to see what outward loan activity there will be, now that the U23s are being revived. Wou8ld expect at least one of the young keepers to go out, but aside from perhaps the odd month for the new pros here and there, and perhaps Baptiste getting another spell, the rest may stay in-house - I just hope the standard is pitched successfully so that they are stretched.

Presumably in this case he was meaning watching Long on loan at Hampton & Richmond for the latter part of the season, rather than giving him a year to look at him.
If he can shake off the injuries that have plagued him thus far (and he came through the H&R loan unscathed) then he has shown some promise in his games so far, holding down a first team place at times already.
He and Carroll should be able to play their part next season and will certainly provide cover across the back line and even defensive midfield.

No surprise Ashby went, or indeed that he's rocked up at City.
However, I think what you say perhaps is more pertinent to Roberts, who I expect to get a club at L2/conf National level before teh summer is out and will probably thrive with regular football away from a troubled few years at OUFC.

It will be interesting to see what outward loan activity there will be, now that the U23s are being revived. Wou8ld expect at least one of the young keepers to go out, but aside from perhaps the odd month for the new pros here and there, and perhaps Baptiste getting another spell, the rest may stay in-house - I just hope the standard is pitched successfully so that they are stretched.
If we have Norman and AN Other right back in the house, I do struggle to see where he will get game time. I'd much rather Long get a series of games for his long term career than be on the outside looking in. Look what taking a step down did for Norman.

CURRENT SQUAD:

Eastwood
Shearer
Stevens
Agboola

Long
Norman
Nelson
Dickie
Mousinho
Raglan
Kelleher
Carroll

Brannagan
Ruffels
Carruthers
Baptiste
Hall
Napa

Henry
Obika

I’d loan out Stevens, Agbooola, Long, Baptiste, Kelleher, and Napa.

That leaves 14 1st team players.Not sure what is happening with Ricardinho?

CURRENT SQUAD:

Eastwood
Shearer
Stevens
Agboola

Long
Norman
Nelson
Dickie
Mousinho
Raglan
Kelleher
Carroll

Brannagan
Ruffels
Carruthers
Baptiste
Hall
Napa

Henry
Obika

If you're including Baptiste, Agboola, and Kelleher, it's probably worth including the other U23 guys in the squad list as well. James and Hopkins made the last matchday squad, and the coaches seem to think Armani Little will earn a first team promotion sooner rather than later.

If you're including Baptiste, Agboola, and Kelleher, it's probably worth including the other U23 guys in the squad list as well. James and Hopkins made the last matchday squad, and the coaches seem to think Armani Little will earn a first team promotion sooner rather than later.
Which would then lead to the question: are the under23 signings included in these 9/10 new players that we’re aiming to recruit this summer? If so we’re up to 5 signings already.

Which would then lead to the question: are the under23 signings included in these 9/10 new players that we’re aiming to recruit this summer? If so we’re up to 5 signings already.

In my mind they are included. I think KR would like a really strong first XI, with a very good bench able to cover injuries, which makes 18 squad players so far. And then the U23s, with maybe one or two of those guys making the bench to cover the guys that are covering injuries in the XI.

I could be wrong, but there's a lot of talk this season about 'quality over quantity', and giving young players a real shot at first team action.

From the OM article last week with KR it doesn't sound like he's staying. Said the same about Rothwell and he has just left.

CURRENT SQUAD:

Eastwood
Shearer
Stevens
Agboola

Long
Norman
Nelson
Dickie
Mousinho
Raglan
Kelleher
Carroll

Brannagan
Ruffels
Carruthers
Baptiste
Hall
Napa

Henry
Obika

Spot on, they need game time, and are unlikely to get into a match day squad pushing for championship promotion. Including them in a realistic first team squad would give it a truly false look in terms of numbers. We still need around 8 players to have a play off pushing squad.

Back
Top Bottom