General Research on Sexuality in Football - Phase 2 Survey

Got to love all the woke folk on this thread......................
Picture this...... OUFC vs Scum, in a League game a day or two after one or more of their players openly admit to being gay.
Will 11,000 folk ............
A: Politely applaud their bravery?
B: Make the occasional comment?
C: Make their 90 minutes on the pitch the worst experience of their lives with not a care for their sexuality and/or mental well being?

I`ll take a bet on C.

And that proves why such survey`s aren`t worth diddly, because only those most interested in a positive way will complete them.
The survey was not about whether you thought an openly gay player might get stick (I'd hope not, but suspect some of the more troglodyte supporters would have a go). It was whether you'd heard any concerted chanting recently. I hadn't (and it seems nobody else has either) and I said so. I did add a note to the effect that since there were NO openly gay footballers at the moment it wasn't likely to happen! It isn't 'woke', you 'snowflake'!

The survey was not about whether you thought an openly gay player might get stick (I'd hope not, but suspect some of the more troglodyte supporters would have a go). It was whether you'd heard any concerted chanting recently. I hadn't (and it seems nobody else has either) and I said so. I did add a note to the effect that since there were NO openly gay footballers at the moment it wasn't likely to happen! It isn't 'woke', you 'snowflake'!

A, B or C ? What would you do?

None of the above. I don't think it's a thing worth making a fuss about one way or the other.

Some people are straight, some are gay, (and all shades in between) and some have black, blonde or ginger hair (and all shades in between). Neither of those two facts mean any more to me than the other.

Last edited:
If you want specifics Mahesh (who got me the ticket) laughed at the "Town full of P***" from the Brighton fan and said "Thick tossers, I`m Indian".
Sticks & stones and all that................<shrugs>
Well he was correct. Thick tossers is right. But the fact that your mate is big enough to shrug it off as the rubbish it is does not mean it's OK for those thick tossers to chant it. And (I suspect) it wasn't right for the Leicester fans to chant stuff about the sexuality of those on the other side of the stadium. Both are equally stupid, inaccurate, unwitty and belong somewhere back in the 1980s.

So where does abuse become "acceptable" then?

Big fat Stevie Evans ?
One more burger and your dead to Joe Kinnear?
You`ve got a pineapple on your head Jason Lee ?
Various songs about women in football from Karen Brady to "Stayed in the kitchen" for female assistant refs?
Spurs fans using "Yid" ? Other fans using "Yid" ?

Where is the line drawn? Legal definitions? Arrestable offences?

Big fat Stevie Evans ?
Various songs about women in football from Karen Brady to "Stayed in the kitchen" for female assistant refs?

The funny thing is, at least 3 of those have not been heard for f**k knows how long. Not sure what people are saying about Steve Evans now, but there has been a fair bit of discussion from both spurs and arsenal fans about "yids" chants too.

So in terms of recent chants that are heard at football, you're still not looking to great.

Big fat Stevie Evans ?

Anything I aim at Steve Evans is purely based on the fact that he is horrible. Not that he is a particular race, colour or sexuality.
Jason Lee? His hair is a (bad) fashion choice. It would still be a bad haircut if he was Chinese, Eskimo, gay, straight - anything.
Both of those are fair game.
The other two are not - even the Spurs fans using it about themselves. It isn't difficult. Just apply some standards.

No it wouldn`t, it would be an individuals opinion on what constitutes "homophobic" .
Is calling someone "gay" homophobic? Not in my book.
Is calling someone "queer" homophobic? Not in my book.
Is singing "Town full of queers" at Brighton fans homophobic? Yes.

I wouldn`t mind betting we all have differing levels of tolerance, probably related to context and timing. Can`t capture that in a survey.

With all due respect EY the first 2 can be seen as homophobic. If you are calling someone gay as a way of an insult then it is homophobic. Same with calling someone queer is homophobic if it is intended to be an insult.

The context of a comment is vital when it is being determined if it is homophobic/racist or not.

With all due respect EY the first 2 can be seen as homophobic. If you are calling someone gay as a way of an insult then it is homophobic. Same with calling someone queer is homophobic if it is intended to be an insult.

The context of a comment is vital when it is being determined if it is homophobic/racist or not.

That is why I said............... "I wouldn`t mind betting we all have differing levels of tolerance, probably related to context and timing. Can`t capture that in a survey. " :)

The funny thing is, at least 3 of those have not been heard for f**k knows how long. Not sure what people are saying about Steve Evans now, but there has been a fair bit of discussion from both spurs and arsenal fans about "yids" chants too.

So in terms of recent chants that are heard at football, you're still not looking to great.

Nobody chants/sings any more because they are all scared of offending someone.
The pendulum has swung too far the other way, like many walks of life, and now people complain about lack of atmosphere.
They blame everything from the ground to the teams we are playing but the reality is freedom of expression is greatly restricted by the "offended".
;):)

Nobody chants/sings any more because they are all scared of offending someone.
The pendulum has swung too far the other way, like many walks of life, and now people complain about lack of atmosphere.
They blame everything from the ground to the teams we are playing but the reality is freedom of expression is greatly restricted by the "offended".
;):)
I think it is possible to generate an atmosphere without resorting to homophobic, racist, or sexist chanting. And to say its limiting freedom of expression? Free Speech doesn't mean you can shout out any old rubbish that enters your head.

I think it is possible to generate an atmosphere without resorting to homophobic, racist, or sexist chanting. And to say its limiting freedom of expression? Free Speech doesn't mean you can shout out any old rubbish that enters your head.

Somebody else moved the "line of acceptability" ............... but where does it stop?

Goalkeeper goes to take a goal kick..................... the crowd does the "Ahhhhhhhhh your :poop: " bit....................... how do you know he hasn`t got mental health issues or similar, you are knowingly victimising him.....or is it an "acceptable part of the game" ?

And lets not even think of the abuse officials get from players & fans alike....

Once these lines start moving they just don`t stop.

Back
Top Bottom