General Research on Sexuality in Football - Phase 2 Survey

Dear all,

Many thanks to those of you who contributed to my earlier survey on this topic. As a result of this, I have moved to a second survey that has three follow-up questions, so it should not take you very long at all to complete (5 minutes):

https://doit.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_899Zz8SgZA8MFmJ

As always, I appreciate your time and thoughts.
Do you have a snowflake-friendly version for those who are uncomfortable with questions about sexuality?

Done it. My comments are in the response - I won't repeat them here because I don't want to encourage the gammon brigade.

I answered, but I am not sure my responses were of much use. Has anyone heard homophobic chanting at all at any of our matches in the last 20 years? I can't remember any.

I answered, but I am not sure my responses were of much use. Has anyone heard homophobic chanting at all at any of our matches in the last 20 years? I can't remember any.

That's what I put. At least 20 years since I heard anything.

Male, female, non-binary, just describe yourself. Well that last category was mind blowing fun

That's what I put. At least 20 years since I heard anything.

Sure I remember a few oxford games where an opposition player had bleached blonde hair or similar and got wolf whistled / chants. Probably back in the conference days.

Was there not a game in the midlands (Altrincham or Macclesfield) where their supporters got a bit excited because some of our supporters were wearing pink shirts / polos?

Sure I remember a few oxford games where an opposition player had bleached blonde hair or similar and got wolf whistled / chants. Probably back in the conference days.

Quite possibly. I only said that I didn't remember any, which I don't.

I do! Can't remember the game, but it was a home match when we were in League Two, and plenty of people were abusing the goalkeeper because he had "gay hair", which was just a big, blonde fringe. It's so easy not to hear things, especially micro-aggressions, if you're not listening out for it or know what constitutes as homophobic.

Oh, don't get me wrong - there is the same proportion of idiots at a football crowd as there is in the general population, so I am sure a few idiots think it is clever to shout about 'gay hair' (the wit of that 'insult' tells you more about the abuser than the abused IMO!).

But the survey asked specifically about homophobic *chants* (rather than remarks by a couple of plonkers), and I have not heard any chants in that vein for donkeys years.

Last homophobic chant I heard (as opposed to a single off colour remark by an unreconstructed knobhead) must have been decades ago. 'Does your boyfriend know you're here' was non-specifically chanted at Brighton players I seem to remember.

In fact, last overtly racist comments I heard were by a small number of our fans at Bradford at least ten years ago. Maybe we really are improving?

Got to love all the woke folk on this thread......................
Picture this...... OUFC vs Scum, in a League game a day or two after one or more of their players openly admit to being gay.
Will 11,000 folk ............
A: Politely applaud their bravery?
B: Make the occasional comment?
C: Make their 90 minutes on the pitch the worst experience of their lives with not a care for their sexuality and/or mental well being?

I`ll take a bet on C.

And that proves why such survey`s aren`t worth diddly, because only those most interested in a positive way will complete them.

So, EY, you should also be able to say when you last heard homophobic chanting at football. That would be evidence rather than speculation. Certainly if people filled in surveys with speculation, the wouldn't be worth diddly.

So, EY, you should also be able to say when you last heard homophobic chanting at football. That would be evidence rather than speculation. Certainly if people filled in surveys with speculation, the wouldn't be worth diddly.

No it wouldn`t, it would be an individuals opinion on what constitutes "homophobic" .
Is calling someone "gay" homophobic? Not in my book.
Is calling someone "queer" homophobic? Not in my book.
Is singing "Town full of queers" at Brighton fans homophobic? Yes.

I wouldn`t mind betting we all have differing levels of tolerance, probably related to context and timing. Can`t capture that in a survey.

No it wouldn`t, it would be an individuals opinion on what constitutes "homophobic" .
Is calling someone "gay" homophobic? Not in my book.
Is calling someone "queer" homophobic? Not in my book.
Is singing "Town full of queers" at Brighton fans homophobic? Yes.

I wouldn`t mind betting we all have differing levels of tolerance, probably related to context and timing. Can`t capture that in a survey.
So when did you last hear any of those things in football chanting?

So when did you last hear any of those things in football chanting?

When I had a guest ticket at Leicester, and the retort from the Brighton fans was definitely racist. Not sure two wrongs make it right either way..... :)

It didn`t have a profound effect on my life as I am neither Asian or gay.

Back
Top Bottom