General Replanning 2020

You talk about investing, so who would you have invested in and how much would you have spent?
Like I said, let's pick up the conversation in the summer. Do you think we will replace Brannigan and Dickie etc adequately? I don't. We haven't applied 'the model' in the last couple of years. We've just been flogging the family silver. Would you say Peterborough are a bigger club than us? I wouldn't. And what was the Peterborough Chairman's response when clubs were enquiring about Ivan Toney on deadline day? Basically, offer £10m or go away. Call it investment, planning, ambition. But that's a club that has a plan and sticks to it. The decision to sell Baptiste on deadline day was ridiculous. If that doesn't make you question how the club is run, then nothing ever will.

Whyte, Baptiste, Fosu. Previously Lego, CoD, Roofe. Etc. All sold for values north of £1M.

They above players highlighted are decent, but how many of them are likely to attract bids in that range?

Not many, which is why we're probably going to hold onto them this summer. I think, given time, Moore and Sykes could.

We haven't applied 'the model' in the last couple of years. We've just been flogging the family silver.

The decision to sell Baptiste on deadline day was ridiculous.

This season we've signed:

Moore - Signed to develop
Fosu - Developed and sold for a profit
Agyei - Signed to develop
Atkinson - Signed to develop

Last Season:

Whyte - Developed and sold for a profit
Sykes - Signed to develop
Hanson - Signed to develop (hasn't worked out thus far)
Dai - Developed and sold for a profit (Ok, this is stretching it ;) )

Plus the U23's signings that we have taken a punt on.

While the timing of the Baptiste sale sucked and the "reported price" is lower than fans would expect, your argument that the model is not being applied doesn't really hold water.

Like I said, let's pick up the conversation in the summer. Do you think we will replace Brannigan and Dickie etc adequately? I don't. We haven't applied 'the model' in the last couple of years. We've just been flogging the family silver. Would you say Peterborough are a bigger club than us? I wouldn't. And what was the Peterborough Chairman's response when clubs were enquiring about Ivan Toney on deadline day? Basically, offer £10m or go away. Call it investment, planning, ambition. But that's a club that has a plan and sticks to it. The decision to sell Baptiste on deadline day was ridiculous. If that doesn't make you question how the club is run, then nothing ever will.
What? Yes we have - haven't Brannigan, Dickie, Sykes, Whyte, Tosu, Moore, Gorrin all been brought in in the last 2 years ( / 25 months - CB was January 2018 I believe)?

Selling him because he MIGHT get any injury would just be ridiculous, not as if he is regarded as injury prone is it.
Are you serious?
He has had what 3 serious inuries in the past 3 years.
Now I really hope that he has no more. But he has certainly been injury prone to date.

This season we've signed:

Moore - Signed to develop
Fosu - Developed and sold for a profit
Agyei - Signed to develop
Atkinson -
Plus the U23's signings that we have taken a punt on.

The plan is clearly to invest heavily in the academy as well as bringing new players in.
For the investment to be worthwhile, Jones, Spasov, Lopes etc need to be ready for the first team in the next couple of years.
So you are right the club did invest in young players this season. Hopefully this will be complemented by our own players coming through soon.

Baptiste not injury prone? I think the guy is a fantastic footballer and will go on to the very highest level, but 3 shoulder dislocations and an ACL injury before the age of 20 is not a great record. Of course, he may have gone on from strength to strength, got us promoted and seen his value double. No one will know what might have happened which is why every transfer is a gamble.

As for final predictions, I think the top 7 clubs this season will be between Rotherham, Peterborough, Coventry, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Ipswich and Oxford. We have games against 4 of them and games in hand of all bar Cov and Pompey. So a top 6 finish is very much in our own hands and definitely achievable.
Yup; you’ve got the top 7 pretty much correct, I’d think. The seventh spot will be between us and Doncaster. And as you say; it’s very much in our hands now.

I would say that 72 points would be enough, which is 1.8 points a game from here on in.

I mentioned on another thread the important of an experienced spine, and in the 21 games, where both Mous and Henry have played, we have picked up 1.85 points per game (from 21 played).

So 72 points is certainly doable, especially as 60% of our games are at home. I know anything can happen, but you would fancy wins against Wimbledon, Accrington, Southend, MK Dons, Tranmere and Bolton which would leave 9 games where we would need to average a point to get to 72. That should be enough, especially if we don't lose any of the games against the teams around us (Sunderland, Ipswich, Cov, Pompey and Wycombe).

That's why I'm not getting some of the "mid table mediocrity" rubbish. This season is still very much there for the taking, especially if we finish strong when others start slipping back.
We have played Tranmere at home.
After MK at home the rest are
Pompey
Brizzle
Fleetwood
And finally Bolton.
I still think we'll need to pick up10-12 points from the remaining 6 away fixtures and that will be tough. Tomorrow's result will have a big impact.

We have played Tranmere at home.
After MK at home the rest are
Pompey
Brizzle
Fleetwood
And finally Bolton.
I still think we'll need to pick up10-12 points from the remaining 6 away fixtures and that will be tough. Tomorrow's result will have a big impact.

I didn't say we had Tranmere at home, just that it was a very winnable game.

But if you look at our home fixtures I would say;

Sunderland 1
Wimbledon 3
Accrington 3
Southend 3
MK Dons 3
Portsmouth 1
Bristol Rovers 1
Fleetwood 3
Bolton 3

Add in Tranmere as an away win and that's 24 points already. So we would only really need a few good away results to be looking at the playoff places.

I appreciate that football, and particularly Oxford United, are never the easiest to predict, but this is not impossible to imagine. And for this reason, it shows that tomorrow's game is not so essential. Get a win and we're 2 points further forward at the expense of a rival. Lose and we're a little further away but still not out of it. Draw and still very much on track!

You're being ridiculous.

Sunderland 1
Wimbledon 3
Accrington 3
Southend 3
MK Dons 3
Portsmouth 1
Bristol Rovers 1
Fleetwood 3
Bolton 3

Add in Tranmere as an away win and that's 24 points already. So we would only really need a few good away results to be looking at the playoff places.

I appreciate that football, and particularly Oxford United, are never the easiest to predict, but this is not impossible to imagine. And for this reason, it shows that tomorrow's game is not so essential. Get a win and we're 2 points further forward at the expense of a rival. Lose and we're a little further away but still not out of it. Draw and still very much on track!
Mmm.
When we were at the top of our game those results were very possible.
With injuries and form it will take a big turn around to get those results.
Possible but very possible we won't do that well.
If you're right on those we are very likely to make the play offs.

We haven't applied the model in the last few years? You sure? What were the signings of Dan Agyei, Elliott Moore, Rob Atkinson, Mark Sykes, Gavin Whyte, Rob Dickie, Alex Gorrin and Kevin Berkoe then?

We haven't applied the model in the last few years? You sure? What were the signings of Dan Agyei, Elliott Moore, Rob Atkinson, Mark Sykes, Gavin Whyte, Rob Dickie, Alex Gorrin and Kevin Berkoe then?

He's probably having flashbacks to those six months with Pep bless 'im.

Sunderland 1
Wimbledon 3
Accrington 3
Southend 3
MK Dons 3
Portsmouth 1
Bristol Rovers 1
Fleetwood 3
Bolton 3

Yeah right!! You included Tranmere with all the other home games.? If you thought we would get 3 points against Fleetwood why didn't you include it? Don't you think Rochdale, Shrewsbury are just as winnable?
Is Brizzle not more winnable than Fleetwood? Strange.

Yeah right!! You included Tranmere with all the other home games.? If you thought we would get 3 points against Fleetwood why didn't you include it? Don't you think Rochdale, Shrewsbury are just as winnable?
Is Brizzle not more winnable than Fleetwood? Strange.
Christ!! I gave an example of very winnable games, 5 at home, Tranmere away! It's really not difficult to understand.

I then broke down the home games and think that we'll likely get 4 from Bristol Rovers and Fleetwood and both could go either way, but I think we're due a win against Fleetwood.

Rochdale and Shrewsbury are winnable, also I think we'll get a point at Wycombe and Ipswich and probably nothing at Coventry.

Not exactly earth shattering predictions!! Optimistic yes, strange, no!!

Christ!! I gave an example of very winnable games, 5 at home, Tranmere away! It's really not difficult to understand.

I then broke down the home games and think that we'll likely get 4 from Bristol Rovers and Fleetwood and both could go either way, but I think we're due a win against Fleetwood.

Rochdale and Shrewsbury are winnable, also I think we'll get a point at Wycombe and Ipswich and probably nothing at Coventry.

Not exactly earth shattering predictions!! Optimistic yes, strange, no!!
Jeez you had me going there for it minute. If you succumb to the doom and despair then nobody has a chance!

Worth pointing out that Bristol Rovers haven't won a game in the league since December 14th.
(Graham Coughlin quit as their manager on December 17th.......these two facts may not be unrelated!)

Football's a strange animal, but on recent form - that should be one of the easiest games we have remaining this season

Worth pointing out that Bristol Rovers haven't won a game in the league since December 14th.
(Graham Coughlin quit as their manager on December 17th.......these two facts may not be unrelated!)

Football's a strange animal, but on recent form - that should be one of the easiest games we have remaining this season
Thats buggered it.. ?

Back
Top Bottom