General Replanning 2020

Entirely correct. This is what Peterborough have done successfully for a number of years.

Don't disagree one bit with the principle.

But, devil's advocate would argue that, although they've just trounced us 4-0...

...if we win all our games in hand, they don't actually do it any more "successfully" than we do!

Enough of the nonsense and lets breakdown the facts.
  • Mackie has played 1401 league minutes this season and has scored 2 goals - minutes to goal ratio is 1 goal every 703 minutes
  • Matty Taylor has played 1254 league minutes and has scored 7 goals - minutes to goal ratio is 1 goal every 179 minutes
  • Dan Agyei has played 91 league minutes and has scored 2 goals - minutes to goal ratio is 1 goal every 46 minutes
Firstly just based on these statistics it is clear that Jamie Mackie is the worst striker on our books and should not be starting any games for us. Strikers to start up front should be either Matty Taylor or Dan Agyei end of. The stats don't lie. Dan Agyei is 22 years old and is actually older than Mark Sykes, Marcus Browne and Shandon Baptiste. Therefore Karl Robinsons argument about Dan Agyei being a young player is null and void as there are younger players in the squad who have had consistent game time. Also bear in mind that Agyei has played 3 premier league matches for Burnley and 43 League 1 matches at Coventry, Walsall and Blackpool prior to joining our club, so he's already got league 1 experience. The fundamental issue is that Karl Robinson has an allegiance to Jamie Mackie and will play him regardless of how poor his goal record is and lack of being a goal threat. I'm sorry but if either Matty Taylor of Dan Agyei had a record as poor as Jamie Mackie's then Karl Robinson wouldn't accept it, so why does he accept such a poor record from Jamie Mackie? It is now clear that Karl Robinson doesn't judge or view our strikers on equal precedent and due to his stubbornness refuses to choose the team based on ability, stats or form but does whatever he wants to do because he can as he is the manager despite everyone clearly seeing that a change in tactics needs to be applied. We're so predictable in our playing style teams don't even need to do research on how we play. Sorry to say it but if we don't get promoted then Karl Robinson is accountable and should get the sack. Not good enough.

• Mackie has played 1401 league minutes this season and has scored 2 goals - minutes to goal ratio is 1 goal every 703 minutes
  • Matty Taylor has played 1254 league minutes and has scored 7 goals - minutes to goal ratio is 1 goal every 179 minutes
  • Dan Agyei has played 91 league minutes and has scored 2 goals - minutes to goal ratio is 1 goal every 46 minutes
Firstly just based on these statistics it is clear that Jamie Mackie is the worst striker on our books and should not be starting any games for us. Strikers to start up front should be either Matty Taylor or Dan Agyei end of. The stats don't lie. Dan Agyei is 22 years old and is actually older than Mark Sykes, Marcus Browne and Shandon Baptiste. Therefore Karl Robinsons argument about Dan Agyei being a young player is null and void as there are younger players in the squad who have had consistent game time. Also bear in mind that Agyei has played 3 premier league matches for Burnley and 43 League 1 matches at Coventry, Walsall and Blackpool prior to joining our club, so he's already got league 1 experience. The fundamental issue is that Karl Robinson has an allegiance to Jamie Mackie and will play him regardless of how poor his goal record is and lack of being a goal threat. I'm sorry but if either Matty Taylor of Dan Agyei had a record as poor as Jamie Mackie's then Karl Robinson wouldn't accept it, so why does he accept such a poor record from Jamie Mackie? It is now clear that Karl Robinson doesn't judge or view our strikers on equal precedent and due to his stubbornness refuses to choose the team based on ability, stats or form but does whatever he wants to do because he can as he is the manager despite everyone clearly seeing that a change in tactics needs to be applied. We're so predictable in our playing style teams don't even need to do research on how we play. Sorry to say it but if we don't get promoted then Karl Robinson is accountable and should get the sack. Not good enough.

You have copied and pasted the same post on at least 3 other threads. Not necessary.

Sorry to say it but if we don't get promoted then Karl Robinson is accountable and should get the sack.
Yes, I mean we're only enjoying probably our best season in the last 20 years or so, not good enough. Fans are never going to agree with everything the manager does (I don't get the persistence with Mackie either) but Robinson is an excellent young manager with heaps of potential who is passionate about the club. What's the plan after you sack him? Pep Clotet? The grass isn't always greener .....

Yes, I mean we're only enjoying probably our best season in the last 20 years or so, not good enough. Fans are never going to agree with everything the manager does (I don't get the persistence with Mackie either) but Robinson is an excellent young manager with heaps of potential who is passionate about the club. What's the plan after you sack him? Pep Clotet? The grass isn't always greener .....

The comment you replied to was bound to happen, based on the levels of hysteria from some unfortunately.

All hinges on ground ownership. They should bite the bullet and buy Grenoble Road for the £13M. Then if we got to the championship they could get their money back by selling us to the bigger fish who wants to own a nice Championship club (with its own stadium), someone with enough money to tempt FK to sell the rest of the complex.
How many multi millionaires/billionaires are there on the board? We must have the, if not one of the richest boards in L1.

How many multi millionaires/billionaires are there on the board? We must have the, if not one of the richest boards in L1.
Yes you’re correct but @yellowbow has said get one of our multi millionaires, billionaires to buy the Kastad and invest in doing it up as if we were championship and who knows I’ve said before higher we go the more sponsorship and investment we will get and if we were to own our ground that could be even more sponsorship/investment

lol that started off reasonably sensibly and then just descended into total nonsense hahaha

My feelings are that the board have concerns about how they could fund the championship if we were promoted.
I believe they have made every effort to buy the existing stadium at a reasonable price.
This has been thrown back in their faces on more than one occasion.
They now have their sites set on a new stadium. This is now where the main effort is going, with the team taking second spot. We must be patient things don't happen overnight.
PS I'm a cup half full type of guy.

You don't work in business do you?
If you think unloading Baptiste who would most likely assist us in getting to the playoffs (or at least increasing the chances) on the last day of the transfer window when he is tied to a long term contract, with the added detrimental impact of suggesting to many of our paying customers that we don’t want to carry on the success right now, then I’m concerned for the business that you work in to be honest

He could have quite easily gone in the summer for exactly the same money

I sure do. You?
It's called investment
I'm glad you're not running our club!!! We lose approx. £3m a year and have a business model of buying and selling players to allow our club to become sustainable for the long term. We made offers for players, significant offers too. But we didn't spend money for the sake of it. That is sensible.

But seeing as you are the business man, who would you have bought in January, and how much would they have cost? Seeing as you think all of the players bought to date only cost £300-400k I'm guessing you thought that we'd get Cadden for 30 quid, and Will Grigg with Tesco clubcard points???

If you think unloading Baptiste who would most likely assist us in getting to the playoffs (or at least increasing the chances) on the last day of the transfer window when he is tied to a long term contract, with the added detrimental impact of suggesting to many of our paying customers that we don’t want to carry on the success right now, then I’m concerned for the business that you work in to be honest

He could have quite easily gone in the summer for exactly the same money

He could have easily picked up another injury and been worth nothing. It's always a gamble, but when the club is losing £3m a year these gambles are sometimes needed.

And, I still think we'll be in the playoffs!

I'm glad you're not running our club!!! We lose approx. £3m a year and have a business model of buying and selling players to allow our club to become sustainable for the long term. We made offers for players, significant offers too. But we didn't spend money for the sake of it. That is sensible.

But seeing as you are the business man, who would you have bought in January, and how much would they have cost? Seeing as you think all of the players bought to date only cost £300-400k I'm guessing you thought that we'd get Cadden for 30 quid, and Will Grigg with Tesco clubcard points???

Rather use them to help pay for my groceries.

I admire your blind faith.
Not to say crazed optimism.
Let's pick up the conversation in the summer when we have sold Brannigan, Dickie, Eastwood (maybe Moore? He is young and must be worth a few bob) , and they are replaced by a bunch of frees and loanees. Oh, and we are still looking at 'options' for a new ground. You don't sell your main asset on deadline day. And if our losses are £3m pa, then £750k for Fosu would have covered that for thirteen weeks, until the end of the season. See, I've even made it easy for you!! £3.0m ÷4.......

I admire your blind faith.
Not to say crazed optimism.
Let's pick up the conversation in the summer when we have sold Brannigan, Dickie, Eastwood (maybe Moore? He is young and must be worth a few bob) , and they are replaced by a bunch of frees and loanees. Oh, and we are still looking at 'options' for a new ground. You don't sell your main asset on deadline day. And if our losses are £3m pa, then £750k for Fosu would have covered that for thirteen weeks, until the end of the season. See, I've even made it easy for you!! £3.0m ÷4.......

You talk about investing, so who would you have invested in and how much would you have spent?

But as Ryan has pointed out (possibly even on this thread), the money from Baptiste would fund a whole department dedicated to finding and securing new, young talent for development and further sales for many seasons to come - and then pay for a Director of Football from the change.

As Simon Crowell would say "That's good business".........

If I was fast forwarding to the summer (not something I particularly want to do with 15 games of a fun season still to come....9 of which are at home.....but that seems to be the crux of this thread), I think the order of business would be this:

1) Find out early what offers are on the table for Dickie and Brannagan. With just 12 months to go on their contracts, we will surely sell if we receive offers for either above 2m - and possibly will take any seven figure offer. In the unlikely situation that noone's in for either of them, offer them new three year deals on good (for League One) terms. But anticipate that we will lose them both.

2) Found out what's going on in Eastwood's head. If he really wants out, allow him to go. As a 30 year old keeper who's had minimal experience above League One - he has negligible resale value.

3) Offer Sam Long a new one-year deal. No he's not a world-beater, but he's a valuable, versatile squad member and he's worth the wage. Pick up the option on Ruffels

4) In a worse case scenario, that leaves us with a squad of Long, Ruffels, Moore, Atkinson, Jones, Gorrin, Henry, Hanson, Sykes, Hall, Forde, Napa, Agyei, plus some other youngsters. That's the beginnings of a strong defense, a decent midfield already ready to go and not a whole lot going forwards

5) [the most difficult bit] Find and sign half a dozen talented footballers aged 20-24. These could come from lower leagues, non-league, Ireland, Scotland but given the contacts of our management team, are most likely to be academy graduates of clubs higher up the pyramid who haven't quite made it. We've developed an amazing pipeline over the past five years or so, from a variety of places (Lundstram, O'Dowda, Roofe, Ledson, Rothwell, Baptiste, Brannagan, Dickie, Johnson, Whyte.......) but we need to continue to fill it. Some of these may cost small fees......so be it. We should be reinvesting a proportion of the proceeds from our successful sales.

6) Add 3-4 high calibre loans from Premier League clubs to fill out positions of need, and round out the squad.

Until we sort out the infrastructure of the club, including securing ownership of our stadium, so that we can capture all revenue streams and sustainably grow the club - the above is the model that's working for OUFC. And KR, and his backroom team, have shown themselves to be great at it. No reason to believe that they can't deliver another fun season in 2020/21 that way.

Back
Top Bottom