Dot Counting Reading - Heading for a Sellout

Attendance tracking
Fingers crossed. Midweek games against Northampton & Wigan to come yet. If they are supported in anything like the numbers of the Barnsley game, then we might fall short.

I was referring as much to atmosphere as I was numbers, tbf. But, imo (and it’s just my opinion, no need for anyone to get upset) sub 9,000 against Pompey, no sell out against Reading and sub 7,000 to Barnsley are examples of support that aren’t a particularly glowing endorsement of our fan base.

It is a shame that kids football clashes with the KO time. We can thank TVP for that.

Northampton should bring a few, but midweeks will be down in crowd numbers in general from now on, you can watch from home and they have always been a bit of a ball ache unless you live near (how I miss the days of walking up to the Manor as a youth on a Tuesday night).

Don't disagree about our atmosphere but unless you or I are willing and able to change that what can you do about it, hopefully Saturday will see a bit of a change but with a 12.30 kick off (they are nearly always terrible atmospheres on the TV games I see) it might well not.

Not certain Reading is a terrible attendance, you can't make people see them as a rival, if they don't they don't, and it will only be about 500 short so for a game a lot of people seem to see as on a par with Wycombe that's not to bad.

Personally I now do see them as a rival as my gym is in Yately, my local pub is in Sandhurst so I come across a few of them, the comments I have made about them playing Tennis instead of going to the football when they go bust could come back to bite me in the a**e on Saturday.

the comments I have made about them playing Tennis instead of going to the football when they go bust could come back to bite me in the a**e on Saturday.
But if they don't, I know an ex player of ours who would be well up for providing some tennis lessons.

• React
Reactions: m
But if they don't, I know an ex player of ours who would be well up for providing some tennis lessons.

He is back on Saturday, tennis racquet in hand in front of the Reading fans returning those balls they try to throw on, none shall pass Jack Midson.

Mods: a factually correct and positive post.

Can't have that, please delete
There’s no proof attached so it’s ok to leave it in as it’s just a rumour. If we see a 6 page spreadsheet then it’s fact and that should satisfy everyone on here.
Well maybe everyone. 😳

Fingers crossed. Midweek games against Northampton & Wigan to come yet. If they are supported in anything like the numbers of the Barnsley game, then we might fall short.

I was referring as much to atmosphere as I was numbers, tbf. But, imo (and it’s just my opinion, no need for anyone to get upset) sub 9,000 against Pompey, no sell out against Reading and sub 7,000 to Barnsley are examples of support that aren’t a particularly glowing endorsement of our fan base.

It is a shame that kids football clashes with the KO time. We can thank TVP for that.

League attendances against Portsmouth since being at the Kassam Stadium (excluding 0 attendance COVID-impacted matches, * indicates Tuesday night matches)

2013-14: 8443
2014-15: 6852
2015-16: 9093
2017-18: 9510
2018-19: 8202
2021-22: 10373
2022-23: 8345*
2023-24: 8864*

Nothing particularly out of the ordinary with our last attendance against them, was there? 500 up from the equivalent Tuesday night game from last season and only a few hundred away from Saturday numbers for the equivalent fixture from previous years.

We'll have over 10,000 there for Reading. Maybe not a formal sell-out nor 11k, but a five-figure attendance. See this thread for differing views on how people see Reading as a fixture. There was only 14k at the MadStad for the reverse fixture. It looked pretty empty there.

Barnsley was down but any fairweather fan was always going to be put off by the less-than-fair weather!

Atmosphere is a different matter and is ongoing on another thread. Few'll disagree with you on it being flat.

As for support in numbers, we're generating the best numbers at our home ground since 1987-88. We can always aim for more, yes, but don't be down on our numbers. We aren't as 'big' as Derby, Portsmouth, Bolton or Charlton but we're keeping up with them. They're bigger places than us and we don't need an inferiority complex about who we are. It doesn't lead anywhere.

League attendances against Portsmouth since being at the Kassam Stadium (excluding 0 attendance COVID-impacted matches, * indicates Tuesday night matches)

2013-14: 8443
2014-15: 6852
2015-16: 9093
2017-18: 9510
2018-19: 8202
2021-22: 10373
2022-23: 8345*
2023-24: 8864*

Nothing particularly out of the ordinary with our last attendance against them, was there? 500 up from the equivalent Tuesday night game from last season and only a few hundred away from Saturday numbers for the equivalent fixture from previous years.

We'll have over 10,000 there for Reading. Maybe not a formal sell-out nor 11k, but a five-figure attendance. See this thread for differing views on how people see Reading as a fixture. There was only 14k at the MadStad for the reverse fixture. It looked pretty empty there.

Barnsley was down but any fairweather fan was always going to be put off by the less-than-fair weather!

Atmosphere is a different matter and is ongoing on another thread. Few'll disagree with you on it being flat.

As for support in numbers, we're generating the best numbers at our home ground since 1987-88. We can always aim for more, yes, but don't be down on our numbers. We aren't as 'big' as Derby, Portsmouth, Bolton or Charlton but we're keeping up with them. They're bigger places than us and we don't need an inferiority complex about who we are. It doesn't lead anywhere.
I think in your last paragraph you hit the nail on the head.

Playing Derby, Bolton and Pompey should put us in a siege mentality. Look at the game vs Pompey 2013(?) away first game of the season when we won 4-1. About 3k of us making a right noise, under no illusions that we were to Pompey what Dagenham were to us a few years previous. Underdogs. Minnows.

I think maybe time has healed the pain of non league and we have collectively re-evaluated where we should be in the football pyramid. We need to take another look.

3.45pm update on Friday and 515 home seats available (meaning sales today of 159 so far). Solid but not spectacular, and I do think the promotion of this match has been quiet from the club.

Remaining seats are

1 East Stand
32 North Stand
156 South Stand Upper
326 South Stand Lower

That means total home seat sales of 9,093. Add in boxes (I’m going with 200) and Reading (1,500) and we are up to an estimated 10,800.

Last edited:
I’ll bank that east north and south upper sell out bar a few singles.

And less than 200 will remain in south stand upper. Late surge imminent.

Let’s hope Benson hasn’t sold hospitality packages to Reading fans, resulting in them being in the SSU 👀

Surely he isn’t that incompetent again, is he??
He seems to enjoy doing for other teams, so I wouldn’t rule it out.

I don’t think people will be as restrained with it this time, should it happen.

What’s the obsession with how bad we are as fans? Every second post you post seems to be about it! You state Reading second only the Swindon like is a cast iron fact. I’ve got a season ticket, have for 20 years, and it’s nowhere near second for me. I’ve got a young family so can’t go to every game anyway and have to to prioritise sometimes, I chose the last two Tuesday nights and the kids go to bed and on a Saturday morning I like/should spend time with them so the 12.30 has made it difficult to go. So I won’t (but will count towards what will be a close to sell out anyway). I’m actually more interested in seeing us play teams like Derby (sell out), Reading comes about 20/30th on the list of teams I’d like to see us play. 2nd only to Swindon isn’t a fact, it’s just an opinion.
Yep i have to say i hate Bristol Rovers and Luton far more than Reading.

No last minute surge in sales at all - in fact, sales have slowed to a trickle with 508 home seats left at 6.45pm (just 7 net sales in the last 3 hours). Hopefully they will pick up again this evening and we can at least get to 11,000.

33 left in the North Stand, still 1 in the East Stand, 157 in the South Stand Upper and 317 in the South Stand Lower.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom