World Cup Qatar 2022

Prefer Ronaldo myself he has it all .
One of the best solo performances I’ve ever seen was from Gazza when he was at spurs . We played them in the FA cup and he turned Steve Foster if I remember rightly inside out upside down . A one man show . Ran round 5 players turned round and done it again . He was so naturally gifted

Found it strange cheering for Argentina today, but definitely wanted them to win all along.

Felt they deserved their progress to the final, whereas France were second best in part or all of some of their games, only to be rescued by a snap moment, more often than not from Griezmann or Giroud rather than Mbop.

Also loved watching Messi all tournament with a Joey like anticipation of what might happen next, that I just didn't get from any of the other 'superstars'. This tournament has Absolutely secured his status as player of this era, so frankly I don't mind commentators focusing on him ( while the love in for a Frenchman who did next to nothing for 70mins I very much did mind.)

Finally, just an interesting sidenote marking a sign of the times - the French finished the game with all ten outfield players being black

Final thoughts on the tournament (having watched almost the entire thing).....

......despite the location and timing, it actually ended up being one of the best World Cups of my lifetime (first one I remember was '86).

Most goals in a single tournament ever; generally well refereed with zero games ruined by red cards (only four all tournament, and none earlier than the 86th minute - Germany 2006 had 28(!?!)); the adding on of colossal amounts of injury time led to a refreshing lack of rampant time wasting; nice ratio of shocks to dominance by the favourites; some epic drama in the final round of the group stage and then if anything it ramped up during the knockouts. And all wrapped up with one of the all-time great finals (don't know what else you can say about a game where both teams miss golden chances to win 4-3 after the 120th minute).

And, as much as I don't love saying it, the best team won in the end as well.
They were poor in their opener against the Saudis, but Argentina were comfortably the best side in their other six games, including the final that they really should have wrapped up in normal time. Messi got all the plaudits - and obviously he was outstanding - but the team as a whole really didn't have any weak links once they worked out their best XI.

Here's hoping that FIFA come to their senses, and find a way to use 4 team groups for a 48 team tournament when it's in my backyard in 2026, and beyond.
Otherwise we might just have witnessed the last good World Cup......

Prefer Ronaldo myself he has it all .
One of the best solo performances I’ve ever seen was from Gazza when he was at spurs . We played them in the FA cup and he turned Steve Foster if I remember rightly inside out upside down . A one man show . Ran round 5 players turned round and done it again . He was so naturally gifted
Gazza was at his very best in that game.The scoreline shouldve read Spurs 0 - Oxford 2- Gazza 4.( i know he didnt score all thier goals)- though 2 of them are amongst the few lasting memories of goals scored against Oxford that I (silently) appreciated / applauded .... the longrange fk - that was retaken- both times he indicated to Ken Vasey where it was going yet Ken couldnt stop it as it was hit with pace and precision into the top corner- and when he picked the ball up around the halfway line, then set off on a blistering, mazy run, turning what seemed like half the oxford team inside out while the ball appeared to be glued to his boot. Inevitably that incisive, one man move ended in a goal . Simply stunning...although- the best player Ive personally seen play live was the Belfast boy, George Best

Gazza was at his very best in that game.The scoreline shouldve read Spurs 0 - Oxford 2- Gazza 4.( i know he didnt score all thier goals)- though 2 of them are amongst the few lasting memories of goals scored against Oxford that I (silently) appreciated / applauded .... the longrange fk - that was retaken- both times he indicated to Ken Vasey where it was going yet Ken couldnt stop it as it was hit with pace and precision into the top corner- and when he picked the ball up around the halfway line, then set off on a blistering, mazy run, turning what seemed like half the oxford team inside out while the ball appeared to be glued to his boot. Inevitably that incisive, one man move ended in a goal . Simply stunning...although- the best player Ive personally seen play live was the Belfast boy, George Best
I'll just add that at Spurs 2 Oxford 1, Les Phillips and Martin Foyle were playing exceptionally well, and we were in with a shout of getting back into the game before Gazza switched on and took it away from us.

Oh, and that Nayim dive for a penalty right in front of where I was stood - cheating bastard. Thankfully the ref wasn't conned by it.

I'll just add that at Spurs 2 Oxford 1, Les Phillips and Martin Foyle were playing exceptionally well, and we were in with a shout of getting back into the game before Gazza switched on and took it away from us.

Oh, and that Nayim dive for a penalty right in front of where I was stood - cheating bastard. Thankfully the ref wasn't conned by it.
Var have just made up their mind, everyone back to WhL.

Final thoughts on the tournament (having watched almost the entire thing).....

......despite the location and timing, it actually ended up being one of the best World Cups of my lifetime (first one I remember was '86).

Most goals in a single tournament ever; generally well refereed with zero games ruined by red cards (only four all tournament, and none earlier than the 86th minute - Germany 2006 had 28(!?!)); the adding on of colossal amounts of injury time led to a refreshing lack of rampant time wasting; nice ratio of shocks to dominance by the favourites; some epic drama in the final round of the group stage and then if anything it ramped up during the knockouts. And all wrapped up with one of the all-time great finals (don't know what else you can say about a game where both teams miss golden chances to win 4-3 after the 120th minute).

And, as much as I don't love saying it, the best team won in the end as well.
They were poor in their opener against the Saudis, but Argentina were comfortably the best side in their other six games, including the final that they really should have wrapped up in normal time. Messi got all the plaudits - and obviously he was outstanding - but the team as a whole really didn't have any weak links once they worked out their best XI.

Here's hoping that FIFA come to their senses, and find a way to use 4 team groups for a 48 team tournament when it's in my backyard in 2026, and beyond.
Otherwise we might just have witnessed the last good World Cup......

I thought it was a good World Cup in terms of quality and entertainment but not quite as good as Russia.

A few too many 0-0s in the group stages but some thrilling final group conclusions made up for that. A top class final though and some definite highlights reel World Cup moments that will be rolled out again and again – Saudi win over Argentina, Japan’s victory over Germany (for a nation still obsessed by WW2 can we call that one the Axis Powers derby?) and in fact Group E overall, Morocco’s run to the semi-finals, Portugal 6-1 Switzerland, the ill-tempered Netherlands v Argentina QF and a stonking final with an Mbappe hattrick to boot. Extra time can be some of the worst football played in a game. Tired legs and fear of losing usually. Instead, we had a basketball-style finish in which both sides could legitimately have won it before penalties. The good quality group stage have at least shaken some common sense into the suits at FIFA as well regarding format changes for 2026 and beyond.

The downsides for me were the utterly dreadful host nation’s performance. A good WC generally has the host do well and Qatar were pants. What has become of penalty taking too? Kane’s blazed penalty miss aside, so many of the missed penalties were wimpy, lame efforts hit with barely any power. Get your laces through it Kevin Pressman style. Also, we lacked a truly great breakout star. Jude Bellingham probably qualified for that but this was a WC where we’re still talking about the same old players most of whom are 35+ years old now. Some proved they were over-the-hill – Ronaldo, Bale and Dani Alves showed it was a tournament too far for them. Lewandowski got his WC goal but – jeez – Poland are a tiresome team to watch. Some showed they were still capable on the main stage despite this being their last hurrah at a WC – Modric, Thiago Silva, Pepe, Lloris. One stood out to shine above all others – Lionel Messi.

As I said in this thread, an Argentina and Messi win give FIFA what they would gave wanted. If this tournament was all about sports washing, that result sums up the laundering process entirely. The superstar poster boy wins the greatest prize of all which will kick all the talk of migrant worker deaths, C02 emissions, white elephant stadiums and the whole corrupt means of obtaining the World Cup in the first place to the back of the queue. ‘Look at Messi with the trophy everyone!’ as another Bangladeshi construction worker, with poor PPE and living in dog-rough conditions for minimal pay is shipped off in a body bag back to Dhaka.

Let’s not forget that. FIFA are and remain unfit for purpose. This World Cup, despite the bread and circuses in entertainment, should always be viewed as the most corrupt of all.

I thought it was a good World Cup in terms of quality and entertainment but not quite as good as Russia.

A few too many 0-0s in the group stages but some thrilling final group conclusions made up for that. A top class final though and some definite highlights reel World Cup moments that will be rolled out again and again – Saudi win over Argentina, Japan’s victory over Germany (for a nation still obsessed by WW2 can we call that one the Axis Powers derby?) and in fact Group E overall, Morocco’s run to the semi-finals, Portugal 6-1 Switzerland, the ill-tempered Netherlands v Argentina QF and a stonking final with an Mbappe hattrick to boot. Extra time can be some of the worst football played in a game. Tired legs and fear of losing usually. Instead, we had a basketball-style finish in which both sides could legitimately have won it before penalties. The good quality group stage have at least shaken some common sense into the suits at FIFA as well regarding format changes for 2026 and beyond.

The downsides for me were the utterly dreadful host nation’s performance. A good WC generally has the host do well and Qatar were pants. What has become of penalty taking too? Kane’s blazed penalty miss aside, so many of the missed penalties were wimpy, lame efforts hit with barely any power. Get your laces through it Kevin Pressman style. Also, we lacked a truly great breakout star. Jude Bellingham probably qualified for that but this was a WC where we’re still talking about the same old players most of whom are 35+ years old now. Some proved they were over-the-hill – Ronaldo, Bale and Dani Alves showed it was a tournament too far for them. Lewandowski got his WC goal but – jeez – Poland are a tiresome team to watch. Some showed they were still capable on the main stage despite this being their last hurrah at a WC – Modric, Thiago Silva, Pepe, Lloris. One stood out to shine above all others – Lionel Messi.

As I said in this thread, an Argentina and Messi win give FIFA what they would gave wanted. If this tournament was all about sports washing, that result sums up the laundering process entirely. The superstar poster boy wins the greatest prize of all which will kick all the talk of migrant worker deaths, C02 emissions, white elephant stadiums and the whole corrupt means of obtaining the World Cup in the first place to the back of the queue. ‘Look at Messi with the trophy everyone!’ as another Bangladeshi construction worker, with poor PPE and living in dog-rough conditions for minimal pay is shipped off in a body bag back to Dhaka.

Let’s not forget that. FIFA are and remain unfit for purpose. This World Cup, despite the bread and circuses in entertainment, should always be viewed as the most corrupt of all.
Excellent post.
With regard to the corruption and FIFA, it appears to me, that the European Countries are the ones most opposed to this!
So based on that there us likely to be little change? Saudi Arabia ( alongside Egypt and Greece) are likely to bid for the 2030 tournament. It will be a little late protesting about this in 2030.
I can't see changes to the corrupt FIFA, without serious threats from European Countries, which I suspect are unlikely

Much of the football was pretty good - and the final burst into life after 80 minutes! - but I think (or at least hope) that there aren't that many people stupid enough to somehow think that excuses the host nation for their record in other areas.

Personally I am glad that (out of the two finalists at least) Argentina won. Not only because Messi (who IMO is a much more likeable, team-focussed footballer than the pouting ninny some compare him with) got to win the one he was missing, but because the French were never ahead in the match and IMO were fairly fortunate to beat both England and Morocco.

Much of the football was pretty good - and the final burst into life after 80 minutes! - but I think (or at least hope) that there aren't that many people stupid enough to somehow think that excuses the host nation for their record in other areas.

Personally I am glad that (out of the two finalists at least) Argentina won. Not only because Messi (who IMO is a much more likeable, team-focussed footballer than the pouting ninny some compare him with) got to win the one he was missing, but because the French were never ahead in the match and IMO were fairly fortunate to beat both England and Morocco.
Really, how much excitement and entertainment did the French give us through the tournament? They played their part in a fantastic final but are not an exciting bunch.

Really, how much excitement and entertainment did the French give us through the tournament? They played their part in a fantastic final but are not an exciting bunch.

I mean, France were the tournament's top scorers - despite putting up a zero in their last group game when they rested all their top players.

Helped, admittedly, by playing seven games. But even then, only England and Portugal scored more goals-per-game.

I think people looked at them as boring because they had a tendency to sleepwalk through large chunks of matches. But when they turned it on, I'm not sure there was a more incisive attacking side in the tournament than France.

I feel like 2018 had more great matches (Spain-Portugal, France-Argentina, Belgium-Japan, Belgium-Brazil), and perhaps more very good teams, but it petered out a little towards the end when it was clear that France were the one outstanding side.

I'd have 2018 and 2022 as about level - and both were considerably better than the four that preceded them.

Which I guess just goes to show that the level of corruption off the pitch doesn't actually have much bearing on the quality of product on the pitch.

[more controversially - does this actually mean that VAR has helped? Part of the problem from 2002-14 was the ridiculous levels of flagrant cheating and timewasting, as well as referees that seemed to reward it. There's been less of that in the past two tournaments. I struggle to believe that the players have become better people......but are they less likely now to get away with the worst excesses?]

I feel like 2018 had more great matches (Spain-Portugal, France-Argentina, Belgium-Japan, Belgium-Brazil), and perhaps more very good teams, but it petered out a little towards the end when it was clear that France were the one outstanding side.

I'd have 2018 and 2022 as about level - and both were considerably better than the four that preceded them.

Which I guess just goes to show that the level of corruption off the pitch doesn't actually have much bearing on the quality of product on the pitch.

[more controversially - does this actually mean that VAR has helped? Part of the problem from 2002-14 was the ridiculous levels of flagrant cheating and timewasting, as well as referees that seemed to reward it. There's been less of that in the past two tournaments. I struggle to believe that the players have become better people......but are they less likely now to get away with the worst excesses?]
For me this was a really good World Cup partly because it was so well refereed and there were no major incidents of cheating or injustice. VAR seemed to be used less often and less obtrusively than in the PL.

For me this was a really good World Cup partly because it was so well refereed and there were no major incidents of cheating or injustice. VAR seemed to be used less often and less obtrusively than in the PL.

Don't let Cannell hear you say that - he's still salty about Cavani!

The ref in our game against the French missed a few things.

I always watch the presentations and some observations:-
Who designed the golden glove, golden ball trophies? They looked like something a child knocks up in their first pottery classes.
When the tournament best players went up and Mbappe stood next to the four Argies for a few seconds before they motioned him off so they could have pictures together without him.
Martinez's antics with the golden glove, thrusting with it first, then sucking on the thumb.
The Qatari's making Messi wear their cloak of respect. It looked odd. I know sometimes players will for instance wear a milk-cup Ox hat with horns, or an athlete drape themselves with their national flag. But here I'd have been tempted to have him wear it for one set of photos before taking it off again. If they had won in England, would we have put a crown on his head?

Back
Top Bottom