World Cup Qatar 2022

What exactly are Dortmund fans boycotting? Watching it? Sending players? Asking the national team not to go?

It’s a disgrace that this World Cup is going ahead but I’m a hypocrite and I’ll be watching it, because it’s the World Cup and the last one with the 24 team format.

A lot of chuntering will be done regarding this WC. How many will make the big step of actively boycotting it completely?

What exactly are Dortmund fans boycotting? Watching it? Sending players? Asking the national team not to go?

It’s a disgrace that this World Cup is going ahead but I’m a hypocrite and I’ll be watching it, because it’s the World Cup and the last one with the 24 team format.

A lot of chuntering will be done regarding this WC. How many will make the big step of actively boycotting it completely?
They have called on their national team not to go - but that has been turned down, so now are organising boycotts of watching matches on tv and of sponsors.

With regret, although I hate the whole concept of an ultra-rich state buying a World Cup with scant regard for how the rest of the world justifiably perceives them, I will probably end up watching some of it on TV, particularly England's games. My moral indignation is so shallow.

I will watch it as where else will we see the basis of the Jan transfer window taking place,just look for the most unknown obscure footballer on display, that will become our main target.
No flying to scout players either

With regret, although I hate the whole concept of an ultra-rich state buying a World Cup with scant regard for how the rest of the world justifiably perceives them, I will probably end up watching some of it on TV, particularly England's games. My moral indignation is so shallow.
me too ^^

I will watch the England games and probably some of the other top teams but can't say I'm looking forward to it the world cup should be played in the summer not during the season

Come on!

Who honestly hasn't cleared the decks for the grand Qatar vs Ecuador opener?!

You just can't fake that tradition.
well, they are trying their hardest. The Qataris are paying groups of supporters from around the world (40 from every qualifying nation) to attend, preferably for the entire tournament. In return for getting free flights/accommodation/tickets/spending money, and all they have to do for that is sign a contract to be entirely positive about Qatar and the world cup on social media (they are tasked with responding to any negative posts they are told to with a positive message), and any media interviews. Plus they have to "sing songs as directed". Apparently the England band are amongst those to have taken the sportswash money.

It’s a disgrace that this World Cup is going ahead but I’m a hypocrite and I’ll be watching it, because it’s the World Cup and the last one with the 24 32 team format.

Yeah, me too.
I just enjoy the World Cup - particularly the 4-team group stages - too much to let distaste for FIFA and the gulf states in general get in the way of my fun/obsession. Especially given that it might be the last time they ever happen (3 team groups in 2026 are going to be ****, even though the tournament's going to be in my backyard, and good luck persuading FIFA to put that genie back in the bottle.....they're never going to choose to let the tournament get smaller again)

Come on!

Who honestly hasn't cleared the decks for the grand Qatar vs Ecuador opener?!

You just can't fake that tradition.

Sadly, I have cleared the decks completely to watch the first two rounds of group matches.
Real World Cup love is getting up at 5am on a Saturday to watch Australia vs. Tunisia......

I really haven’t got much interest so far in this years tournament.
Obviously there are the well documented human rights abuses by Qatar’s government which is off putting enough.
But I feel holding the tournament midway through season also cheapens the World Cup. Is the country going to unite around the national team, or is the football conversion going to be sidelined by talk around the current Premier League positions, or who needs to do what in January?

The World Cup has previously had the feel of an end season party, a festival of football in the sun. Now the current season’s in full swing, will it actually just a bit of an annoyance?

I am taking the same view as I do with the europa league…I know what is going on but only watch games if there isn’t anything else on.
Usually I have made plans to watch the England games with mates etc but this year none of us have been bothered.
Maybe I might of taken more interest if I knew we weren’t playing at the same time but we are.

I really haven’t got much interest so far in this years tournament.
Obviously there are the well documented human rights abuses by Qatar’s government which is off putting enough.
But I feel holding the tournament midway through season also cheapens the World Cup. Is the country going to unite around the national team, or is the football conversion going to be sidelined by talk around the current Premier League positions, or who needs to do what in January?

The World Cup has previously had the feel of an end season party, a festival of football in the sun. Now the current season’s in full swing, will it actually just a bit of an annoyance?
Say we look good in the first round and are to play Croatia in the quarters ... you’d watch that I’m sure.

Say we look good in the first round and are to play Croatia in the quarters ... you’d watch that I’m sure.
You’re almost certainly right. But that’s still a very different approach to other World Cups where I would normally plan to watch as many games as possible.
Maybe I’ll grow into this tournament, but I’ve never started one from such an underwhelmed position.

Back
Top Bottom