Pyro thrown from North stand against Wycombe

I think so too, it's an extremely heavy punishment but it's happened before to OUFC fans and other clubs. It's the reality of the situation in the UK.

In countries like Germany the fans are rarely picked out individually, the club will face a flag/banners ban for their next away game and receives a fine. However with fans on the board they are usually happy to pay once or twice a season.

Sounds like a more common sense approach in Germany.

Looks to me like nearly every week in Europe with the whole end basically lighting them and nothing seems to get said ,I do wonder why there appears to be such a vast difference in tolerance compared to the UK
It's mainly because they see it as an essential element of football fan culture in Germany, along with banners, waving flags etc. They are constantly improving pyrotechnics in order to make them safer, most smoke bombs are non-toxic andfar more breathable these days. In Scandanavia they have developed flares which burn cold, allowing you to put your hand over them whilst they are lit. In Norway pyrotechnics are legal if they are organised before the game and the relevent authorities have been informed. This has been the case since 2015.
The media in the UK will always portray them to be more dangerous than they actually are, mainly because the people using them here will be probably be p*ssed up and dangerous, rather than the devices themselves.

The media in the UK will always portray them to be more dangerous than they actually are, mainly because the people using them here will be probably be p*ssed up and dangerous, rather than the devices themselves.
Unfortunately there is always the one idiot. This story from a few months back...

Pyrotechnics are used every weekend by different fanbases up and down the country. That's every weekend for many years now, there hasn't been a fine and certainly will never be anything more than that. Likewise with racism or pitch invasions, clubs themselves won't be deducted points because it's virtually impossible to stop an individual who's chosen to partake in something illegal inside the football ground, whether that be racism, pyro, pitch invading etc.
The individual will be rightly targeted by the club and authorities and punished for their actions with a prison sentence and/or football ban.
The club will not be deducted points, ever. It's absolutely insane to even comprehend. So we need to put that tosh to bed otherwise I'll be popping down the county ground to get them points deducted!!
Point of Order required......The club and football authorities do not issue prison sentences. Prison sentences can only be issued by a Magistrate or Judge and they will take into account all the circumstances of not only the actual offence but the offenders social and historic offending situation. The way you have phrased your comment Wutang , posters are now believing that the offender will go to prison. It may well be that they do but this is not certain , as your post infers. The club and football authorities may well ask and seek one but that is not for their determination.

Point of Order required......The club and football authorities do not issue prison sentences. Prison sentences can only be issued by a Magistrate or Judge and they will take into account all the circumstances of not only the actual offence but the offenders social and historic offending situation. The way you have phrased your comment Wutang , posters are now believing that the offender will go to prison. It may well be that they do but this is not certain , as your post infers. The club and football authorities may well ask and seek one but that is not for their determination.
I think you are nitpicking to say the least. I think it's pretty obvious OUFC and the FA cannot send someone to prison, to suggest posters on YF will believe otherwise is insulting their intelligence! It's worth pointing out to anyone who may be thinking of using pyrotechnics at football, that using or even being in possession of one in or around a football ground can lead to arrest and a prison sentence in a worst case scenario.

Sorry to labour the point, and obviously throwing a yellow smoke bomb is a silly thing to do given that it's against ground regulations, but the fact anyone has gone to prison for letting off a smoke bomb seems so ridiculous. UK prisons are at breaking point with overpopulation, and we are sending people to prison for being a bit silly at a football match? Surely fining the individual and warning them should suffice.

I read an article in the FSA, where a fan was banned by a lower league club for sharing a picture of a smoke bomb on social media, there was no suggestion that he had let it off himself. It all just seems so ridiculous.

It annoys me football fans seem to be treated unfairly by the criminal justice system. Common sense approaches are obviously out of the window.

I think countries like Germany treat their football supporters with much more respect. The system of having fans united into Ultras groups, seems to give more power to the fans as clubs do not want to lose their crucial vocal support. Wide-scale boycotts over ticket-pricing and fan-related issues are commonplace abroad. Football fans in this country don't seem to stick together.

Looks to me like nearly every week in Europe with the whole end basically lighting them and nothing seems to get said ,I do wonder why there appears to be such a vast difference in tolerance compared to the UK
But Boris will get Brexit done ;) ;);)

I think you are nitpicking to say the least. I think it's pretty obvious OUFC and the FA cannot send someone to prison, to suggest posters on YF will believe otherwise is insulting their intelligence! It's worth pointing out to anyone who may be thinking of using pyrotechnics at football, that using or even being in possession of one in or around a football ground can lead to arrest and a prison sentence in a worst case scenario.

If you want to think of it as nitpicking that is fine , I will think of it as pointing out something that was inaccurate. I tend to find that accurate communication works best. If you think that posters on here do not believe things that they read and are so well informed that they discount any of the misinformed tripe for what it is then I think you are very naive.

Snowflakes.....jesus god football fans are turning into a right bunchve sissys,thank God most of the twats are situated in the south stand where they darent even stand up as its against stadium rules.....PFFFFFFFFT

Snowflakes.....jesus god football fans are turning into a right bunchve sissys,thank God most of the twats are situated in the south stand where they darent even stand up as its against stadium rules.....PFFFFFFFFT
Now you you are just getting silly and rude.

We do stand up, but only as necessary.
It’s called respect for your fellow supporter.
We also don’t spend half the match chanting we “hate Swindon.”

It's all very well saying that one little smoke bomb isn't a problem. But one soon becomes several and then we end up like at the cup match at Brentford where several elderly supporters, myself included, were incapacitated by the dense fog of yellow smoke and didn't get to see much of what was a great victory on the night.
As far as I'm concerned, one little smoke bomb should mean one long ban from the ground.

Back
Top Bottom