General Playing % of available minutes

Osei Yaw

Because I was bored earlier, I thought I'd take a look at how much each of the current squad have played (minutes wise) in the league so far this season (exluding Eastwood) as I wanted to see just how reliant we have been on the same players, and also consider how much we've used/had to use the youth team. Then I thought I'd visualise it in a jazzy chart. We've played 17 games in the league so far this season, which works out at 1,530 minutes. Brannagan has the most minutes of outfield players with 1,522, so it works out he's played 99.5% of available minutes and then work back from there.

The below would suggest that, aside from his goals this season, Joseph will be a big miss for KR as he's obviously one of his trusted players:

1668092325324.png

What is also interesting (and the reason I respond to your point about squad numbers) is that we've only given minutes to 16 senior professionals so far this season. But that 16 includes Jones, Murphy and Gorrin, who between them have played about 180 minutes in the league. So, even though we only managed to register 19 players out of a cap of 22, we've really only played 13. And that 13 includes 36 year old semi-retired Mousinho and Seddon at right back.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a pretty informative and damning graph.

Of the players brought in over the summer or given new contracts, many of them have hardly featured and we are nearly half way through November. We are playing with half a squad - 13 players from the allowed squad of 22 + 2 keepers (IIRC) actually spending more than a significant time on the pitch. Of those, you can say that at least two of them are being played out of position regularly.

Apart from the complete mess that KR (and of course the mythical 'recruitment' committee!) has made of this, it does rather beg the question that if you were a manager being asked whether you wanted to take over if you'd look at that lot and make your excuses. The same might be true for players in the January window (would they want to come?), unless we sign three more to take us up to the cap and then make some hard decisions about the likes of Baldock and Gorrin (and maybe more) - if they are never going to be fit enough to play what on earth are they doing anywhere near the squad? I suspect that might be too expensive an ask though - so we are stuck.

One of the most damning figures on there is the playing time of Jones and Murphy.
The former, who is fit, has played just 0.5% of available minutes, the latter, who is not fit (and apparently never has been) has played 6.4%.

If that isn't proof of something, then I don't know what it is.

Keeping a player such as Jones from playing is unbelievable. WTF is Robinson doing?
if Robinson has the hump with him for some reason, we’ll get the f**k over it. We are playing kids over an experienced and talented player.. He could be the difference between us winning and losing an losing puts more pressure on the team, costs the club more in lost revenue and shows you should not be in charge of this club. We’re not doing that well you numpty, so play him or give us the reason why you are not.

• React
Reactions: m
Because I was bored earlier, I thought I'd take a look at how much each of the current squad have played (minutes wise) in the league so far this season (exluding Eastwood) as I wanted to see just how reliant we have been on the same players, and also consider how much we've used/had to use the youth team. Then I thought I'd visualise it in a jazzy chart. We've played 17 games in the league so far this season, which works out at 1,530 minutes. Brannagan has the most minutes of outfield players with 1,522, so it works out he's played 99.5% of available minutes and then work back from there.

The below would suggest that, aside from his goals this season, Joseph will be a big miss for KR as he's obviously one of his trusted players:

View attachment 10751

What is also interesting (and the reason I respond to your point about squad numbers) is that we've only given minutes to 16 senior professionals so far this season. But that 16 includes Jones, Murphy and Gorrin, who between them have played about 180 minutes in the league. So, even though we only managed to register 19 players out of a cap of 22, we've really only played 13. And that 13 includes 36 year old semi-retired Mousinho and Seddon at right back.

An update on the above about 2 and a half months later.

We've now played 27 games in the league, which gives overall available minutes as 2,430 (27 x 90).

Brannagan has played 2,300 minutes this season, so he still has the highest playing % relative to available minutes at 94.7%.

We're still heavily reliant on Brannagan and McGuane, and Bate has had a big increase to his playing time since the last update (at the expense of Henry).

Jodi Jones got fewer minutes than Spasov before going on loan.

Still waiting for Baldock to come back...

Goodrham and O'Donkor have both been used more than Murphy and Wildschut (although Yanic is likely to change that soon).

1674818963861.png

If it's of interest, here is table topping Plymouth's distribution at this stage of their season:

1674819771200.png

Interesting to me that they are nowhere near as reliant on a handful of players as we have been. None of their players have played a higher % of available minutes than ours. In fact, our 4th highest minutes taker (Sam Long) has played (marginally) more than their highest % wise. The distribution on their graph is also looks to be more equally shared out, we've got 14 players who have played 30%+ whereas they have 16. I obviously don't know as much about Plymouth's squad as I do ours, but I do know we've given Seddon (a League 2 standard left back) the same amount of playing opportunities this season as they've given Cosgrove (a big centre forward who averages a goal every 109 minutes this season). Similarly, their top scorer in the league (Hardie, who we were apparently after last summer), has played fewer minutes % wise for Plymouth than Taylor has for us.

Back
Top Bottom