Home Match Day Thread +++ OUFC v Accrington Stanley 25/02/20 +++

As far as I can tell neither the board or KR have said anything of consequence other than an approach was made and rejected. The board have already backed KR, we were still worrying about relegation at this time last year. I've not heard KR say he wants the Baptiste money reinvested and he must know we're a selling club, as are Leicester (Maguire, Kante, Mahrez). I reckon there's a good chance they knew Fosbap was heading to Brentford, hence the loan moves. Overall I think it was pretty good business, I'd have taken that offer from Bretford on Football Manager. Our owners are not amazing but there are many others much worse and we're in much better shape than we've been for many many years. I'm enjoying the ride, I don't get a lot of the negativity on here.

As far as I can tell neither the board or KR have said anything of consequence other than an approach was made and rejected. The board have already backed KR, we were still worrying about relegation at this time last year. I've not heard KR say he wants the Baptiste money reinvested and he must know we're a selling club, as are Leicester (Maguire, Kante, Mahrez). I reckon there's a good chance they knew Fosbap was heading to Brentford, hence the loan moves. Overall I think it was pretty good business, I'd have taken that offer from Bretford on Football Manager. Our owners are not amazing but there are many others much worse and we're in much better shape than we've been for many many years. I'm enjoying the ride, I don't get a lot of the negativity on here.
Mm he did explicitly mention that he wants assurances re funding in his interview tonight. Forget the wording but something like, I want to get to that next level, ideally with OUFC, but you need to spend money to get to that level, so if that money isnt there to be spent...

6 of the bottom 7, and 4 of the top 7 to play.

Basically, with the exception of Brizzle Rovers, we're now done with mid-table teams for the rest of the season!

Those four top-of-the-table clashes (Fleetwood & Pompey at home, Coventry & Wycombe away) are going to be absolutely massive fixtures.

What would we take from them do we reckon? One win (Fleetwood), two draws (Pompey and Wycombe) and one loss (Cov) I reckon (though there's no saying we can't go on a tear based on the last month of course). Not sure that'll be enough for the autos, but definitely for the playoffs.

What would we take from them do we reckon? One win (Fleetwood), two draws (Pompey and Wycombe) and one loss (Cov) I reckon (though there's no saying we can't go on a tear based on the last month of course). Not sure that'll be enough for the autos, but definitely for the playoffs.
Two wins, let’s smash Wycombe ?

Just in, we struggled in the first half but scored after a sublime pass from Browne to Henry to score a good goal.

2nd half we came out of the blocks and made things difficult for them, and two goals from Taylor, “? super, super Mat, super, super Mat, super, super Mat, super Matty Taylor?.
Let’s not forget one nervy moment in the 1st half and some outstanding goal keeping and defending to prevent an almost certain goal for the Accrington Stanley.

All in all a great night bloody cold and 3 points.

COYY

Last edited:
Honest assessment. For large parts of the first half we were pretty poor, and quite flat in our performance! I also thought we could of easily been level at half time. We did them on the counter attack, Henry does what he does, and despatched his chance very nicely. Accrington were the better side in the first half, and all there dangerous attacks came down our right side. If is wasnt for a marvellous double save from SE and a great block by SL, then Accrington would of got a goal. The second goal killed the game off, and it’s always great to see Super Matty Taylor score. Brilliant build up play by Browne, and Brannagan. The third goal was the icing on the cake, lovely header from MT. Would love to see him sign in the summer. We then managed the game well, and got a nice 3 points towards where we want to be. All in all a mix bag of a night, and MOTM for me goes to Elliot Moore.

Thought we were quite poor first half. But for some excellent last-ditch defending and a magnificent double-save from Eastwood we could've been a couple down at the break. Our passing and movement was slow and ponderous, and Gorrin looked really uncomfortable in the wider, more advanced midfield role he was asked to play. The Accrington midfield found space far too easily and Ruffels seemed to be struggling. The goal was a real bit of quality from both Browne and Henry but was undoubtedly against the run of play.

We played with a bit more intensity second half and looked a lot better for it. Once Gorrin moved back to his favoured central position and Sykes' energy was added to the middle Accrington looked much less of a threat. Taylor is bang on form at the moment and we're certainly benefiting from a fit again Henry (despite him frustratingly failing to execute the same flick down the line about five times throughout the match).

On the Robinson saga, it really does seem like the relationship between him and the board is being tested at the moment. Angry gestures towards the directors' box after wins, mismanagement of the transfer window and an apparent lack of clarity over the direction in which the club is going really makes me think this Blackpool thing could be a goer. He'd be silly to make the move in my opinion, we still have a real shot at promotion and his stock will go through the roof if we manage it.

Honest assessment. For large parts of the first half we were pretty poor, and quite flat in our performance! I also thought we could of easily been level at half time. We did them on the counter attack, Henry does what he does, and despatched his chance very nicely. Accrington were the better side in the first half, and all there dangerous attacks came down our right side. If is wasnt for a marvellous double save from SE and a great block by SL, then Accrington would of got a goal. The second goal killed the game off, and it’s always great to see Super Matty Taylor score. Brilliant build up play by Browne, and Brannagan. The third goal was the icing on the cake, lovely header from MT. Would love to see him sign in the summer. We then managed the game well, and got a nice 3 points towards where we want to be. All in all a mix bag of a night, and MOTM for me goes to Elliot Moore.
Moore was my MOTM too. He is becoming an outstanding player.

I don’t know how many more times I can see Matt Taylor score before I run onto the pitch and rip his shorts off. 6 in his last 5 and I reckon if you added up the distance he was from goal for all of them, you’d be lucky to get 20 yards combined. He just scores goals in and around the six yard box. When was the last time we had someone like that?

I don’t know how many more times I can see Matt Taylor score before I run onto the pitch and rip his shorts off. 6 in his last 5 and I reckon if you added up the distance he was from goal for all of them, you’d be lucky to get 20 yards combined. He just scores goals in and around the six yard box. When was the last time we had someone like that?

And he always seems to have loads of space, which is the sign of a very good player. We may not agree on much, and Mrs Egg may not go for the short ripping, but we have a very special player in Matty Taylor (and James Henry).

Back
Top Bottom