Away Match Day Thread +++05/10/2019 L1: Accrington Stanley v OUFC

The injuries in the first half restricted our opportunities to make changes in the second half. Ideally we would have had Taylor on a bit earlier, or give Fosu a bit of protection. So it's not too surprising that we tired a bit and let them back in to the game. But it was good to see us stand up to the physical game too. Fosu took some crap, but gave a bit back. Henry wasn't going to be bullied, and the likes of Mackie, Brannagan and Gorrin have plenty of fight in them. The last few weeks have shown that we can do the pretty stuff, but we can also do the ugly stuff too! And it shows how things have changed in the last few weeks where we're disappointed with a point. But we can rest most of that team against Pompey and hopefully get back to winning ways next week against Donny.

The injuries in the first half restricted our opportunities to make changes in the second half. Ideally we would have had Taylor on a bit earlier, or give Fosu a bit of protection. So it's not too surprising that we tired a bit and let them back in to the game. But it was good to see us stand up to the physical game too. Fosu took some crap, but gave a bit back. Henry wasn't going to be bullied, and the likes of Mackie, Brannagan and Gorrin have plenty of fight in them. The last few weeks have shown that we can do the pretty stuff, but we can also do the ugly stuff too! And it shows how things have changed in the last few weeks where we're disappointed with a point. But we can rest most of that team against Pompey and hopefully get back to winning ways next week against Donny.
I must take issue with you, this is not what you predicted earlier in this thread. I am displeased. :mad:

Another sarcastic mention in the post match from KR about “two up top”. Not sure why you’re so upset, Karl. People said your inflexible 4231 bullshit wasn’t working and since it was dropped we’ve scored loads of goals and got a bunch of great points. I don’t recall a wild 442 parade when people questioned your wisdom, just people saying we couldn’t keep aimlessly playing the same way, and sure enough it looks as though that was right. The players certainly agreed, anyway. You really must stop being such a delicate flower and lashing out when your ego is sore. Everything is okay!

As I heard Jerome say as I was making my way towards the coast for a lovely little post-match jaunt, a real promotion winning team probably wins that, but that’s not as critical as it probably sounds. We scored two cracking solo efforts but didn’t really carve them open like we have others recently - although I think having to make two first half subs really would have disrupted the rhythm - and we were the better side first half while in the second half they went for us. The draw was probably fair, although I thought we’d nicked it right at the end.

Either way, a solid enough result, the unbeaten streak continues, and next Saturday should be an excellent game against a decent Doncaster side. Fingers crossed we have a midfield available!

Another sarcastic mention in the post match from KR about “two up top”. Not sure why you’re so upset, Karl. People said your inflexible 4231 bullshit wasn’t working and since it was dropped we’ve scored loads of goals and got a bunch of great points. I don’t recall a wild 442 parade when people questioned your wisdom, just people saying we couldn’t keep aimlessly playing the same way, and sure enough it looks as though that was right. The players certainly agreed, anyway. You really must stop being such a delicate flower and lashing out when your ego is sore. Everything is okay!

As I heard Jerome say as I was making my way towards the coast for a lovely little post-match jaunt, a real promotion winning team probably wins that, but that’s not as critical as it probably sounds. We scored two cracking solo efforts but didn’t really carve them open like we have others recently - although I think having to make two first half subs really would have disrupted the rhythm - and we were the better side first half while in the second half they went for us. The draw was probably fair, although I thought we’d nicked it right at the end.

Either way, a solid enough result, the unbeaten streak continues, and next Saturday should be an excellent game against a decent Doncaster side. Fingers crossed we have a midfield available!
It must be a bit frustrating for him with the amount of Mike Bassett's we have!

I'd give it a few weeks before getting so angry about everything Robinson says or does if I were you!! It makes you look a little pathetic to be having a dig after seeing us pick up our 11th point in an unbeaten run of 5 league games!!!

I dont think we played well today. We passed it around nicely at the back but created very few chances. Eastwoods blunder gave them the first and thought he should have saved the 2nd. Mackie was too isolated at the front and our midfielders didnt seem to get forward quick enough. Accrington harasses us well but we should have put them away.

First half I thought we played well, second half they had more energy and we tired. Ref was absolutely shocking and was definitely a 'homer'

Happy with a point away from home, others my be disappointed due to recent results. Brannagan goal was sweetly struck, we seem to have the players now full of confidence believing in their ability to shoot on sight of goal. Where as before we would try to pass it in the net. COYY

Been busy so only just managed to keep up with the score, but that’s a decent away point to me. Follow it up with a home win next week and it will look even better.

Fantastic goals from Fosu and Brannagan in different ways, was beautiful watching Fosu skip past their defenders and Brannagan hit the ball so sweetly for the 2nd, love the confidence in the team.

First half we were the better team, felt the incident at the end of the half and the injuries really disrupted us going into the second. We definitely looked the more tired of the two.

Would have liked to have seen Taylor come on around the 60/65 minute mark as Mackie really wasnt having any joy.

Just didnt really seem to get our foot on the ball or play throughout the second half. We looked so natural and confident on the ball in the first and it felt more forced in the second for the majority; there were still periods we played some very good passing football.

Ref really wasnt up to much today, not that Accy were dirty but they weren't exactly clean. Would quite happily not have him ever ref another Oxford match.

All in all, good point under the circumstances, cant help but feel we would have lost that at the start of the season.

Our goals were terrific despite Accrington employing dirty tactics the whole way through the game to make up for their lack of ability. That aside, I actually thought Eastwood could have stopped their second as well as being at fault for their first which underlines the average season he’s having by his high standards. Not great but at 2-2 I was thinking a point would be acceptable.

Passing wasn’t as accurate as previously with some poor defensive decisions.
A good point in the cold light of day. Poor goalkeeping and a Baptiste mistake cost us their goals, and they were stronger in the second half.
Forde seemed to go into the dressing room with a bag of ice on his thigh. Wood-burn limped. Does anyone have any updates or news?

Back
Top Bottom