General OUFC rivals

Not hatred, but the s**t list is:

Reading, Wycombe, Cheltenham, Luton, Stevanage, Bristol Rovers, Oxford City, Forest and Chelsea

Guess I if you must be around 18-24?

Aren’t real rivals and a tiny bit of spice??

I only did Elm pen a few times and it was nasty. They always wanted to fight back, unlike those 6 fingered wankers down the road. They always had a little go at home too. Not to mention the one trip to the breeze block.

Sorry have only just seen this. I’m 35 unfortunately (but I’d certainly take 18 to 24!)

As said in my original post, I remember getting glass bottles chucked at us in the away end at the Elm Park in the mid-90s and I’ve no doubt it was significantly worse in the preceding decades.

Think you’re right that I’ve underplayed the historical rivalry but it has certainly been dormant for the last 15 years or so as we’ve been so far apart. There must have been as much as three leagues between us at one point unfortunately.

Were we to play again soon, I’m sure the rivalry would be reignited but the gap in games, changes to fanbase and more sterile surroundings will dim things a bit I imagine.

Either way, it’s Swindon or nothing as proper rivals for me I’m afraid!

With a bit of luck we could be playing Reading quite a few times over the coming years... And our 6 fingered friends not at all.

Ask the same question in 10 years time and many will put Reading at the top. Especially, those who have only started to watch us in the last couple of years.

With a bit of luck we could be playing Reading quite a few times over the coming years... And our 6 fingered friends not at all.

Ask the same question in 10 years time and many will put Reading at the top. Especially, those who have only started to watch us in the last couple of years.

Playing Reading in the cup when they’re a plucky lower league one club you mean?

Having read through all the suggestions...
Obviously Swindon, so who else?
Has to be Reading and Luton next.
We haven’t played Reading for a while, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t significant history with them.
I don’t understand the comment about Luton being ‘recent years’. Anyone who remembers the 80s knows they are scum. Plus they are local.
Liverpool are not local, nor are they ‘rivals’ for anything. We’ve only played them 6 times.
Anyone know which league team we have played the most times? I make it Portsmouth. They don’t consider us rivals. Nor would the likes of Birmingham or some of the London teams, but I’d class them as ‘tasty’.
Finally Orient, you’ve got to be joking. Sorry Sarge, but that one’s just for the kids.

Having read through all the suggestions...
Obviously Swindon, so who else?
Has to be Reading and Luton next.
We haven’t played Reading for a while, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t significant history with them.
I don’t understand the comment about Luton being ‘recent years’. Anyone who remembers the 80s knows they are scum. Plus they are local.
Liverpool are not local, nor are they ‘rivals’ for anything. We’ve only played them 6 times.
Anyone know which league team we have played the most times? I make it Portsmouth. They don’t consider us rivals. Nor would the likes of Birmingham or some of the London teams, but I’d class them as ‘tasty’.
Finally Orient, you’ve got to be joking. Sorry Sarge, but that one’s just for the kids.

QPR

Anyone know which league team we have played the most times? I make it Portsmouth. They don’t consider us rivals.
Categorically untrue. Lots of Pompey detest us. I know a Portsmouth fan who once said to me that if ISIS had a football team he’d support them before us.

Sorry have only just seen this. I’m 35 unfortunately (but I’d certainly take 18 to 24!)

As said in my original post, I remember getting glass bottles chucked at us in the away end at the Elm Park in the mid-90s and I’ve no doubt it was significantly worse in the preceding decades.

Think you’re right that I’ve underplayed the historical rivalry but it has certainly been dormant for the last 15 years or so as we’ve been so far apart. There must have been as much as three leagues between us at one point unfortunately.

Were we to play again soon, I’m sure the rivalry would be reignited but the gap in games, changes to fanbase and more sterile surroundings will dim things a bit I imagine.

Either way, it’s Swindon or nothing as proper rivals for me I’m afraid!

Reading was my first game and it got a bit lively (not that I was involved - I wasn't even a teenager at that time). I agree with what you say, football has changed so much since then. The 20 year olds from that game are now nearly 40. It would be a special rematch with a bit of a kick but I don't think the place would be rocking. Or even a sell out.

Pompey fans do see us as rivals. Probably stems from playing each other a lot and historic events that have happened off the pitch between the fans. Back in the 80’s was certainly lively in and around Fratton and the manor.

Swindon, Orient, Luton, Reading, Northampton(ish)

I quite like Rovers and haven't detected any rivalry there?

The fact they always beat us at home drives me insane. There's a couple of players in the teams at the moment who've got a bit of bad blood with the other side - Sercombe for example, or Matty Taylor (I loved Sercombe when he was here, but him going to Rovers did diminish my opinion of him). We've played them a lot and they're a bit of a benchmark I personally compare us to - how are Rovers doing? Add to that the fact that there seems to be increasing amounts of trouble (or at least attempted trouble) at games. I was at the home game against them last year and if there hadn't been a heavy police presence there could have been serious violence (although having lots of police is perhaps a self fulfilling prophecy leading to violence). Plus they're reasonably geographically close. Basically I genuinely dislike their club, which isn't usual for me at all, except the Scum (I was too young for the Reading games in the 80's).

The fact they always beat us at home drives me insane. There's a couple of players in the teams at the moment who've got a bit of bad blood with the other side - Sercombe for example, or Matty Taylor (I loved Sercombe when he was here, but him going to Rovers did diminish my opinion of him). We've played them a lot and they're a bit of a benchmark I personally compare us to - how are Rovers doing? Add to that the fact that there seems to be increasing amounts of trouble (or at least attempted trouble) at games. I was at the home game against them last year and if there hadn't been a heavy police presence there could have been serious violence (although having lots of police is perhaps a self fulfilling prophecy leading to violence). Plus they're reasonably geographically close. Basically I genuinely dislike their club, which isn't usual for me at all, except the Scum (I was too young for the Reading games in the 80's).

Well, theyre doing better than us, in the tinpot trophy this season, .... after last night, as they went to a pen shootout v Orient , unlike the U's, gass won their pen shootout 4-2

there has been a bit of added spice to games V gass in recentish times, for certain

My nephew views gass as second to Sw*nd*n in the hate/ rivalry stakes

On that ^^^^ can’t wait for the home game.! I’m sure a certain MT feels the same!

For me Rovers seem like a bit of a 'make do' rivalry.

IE we'll make do with them while the scum aren't fit to play us and they'll make do while City are in better places.

It's definitely more than a run of the mill fixture in any case.

Guess I if you must be around 18-24?

Aren’t real rivals and a tiny bit of spice??

I only did Elm pen a few times and it was nasty. They always wanted to fight back, unlike those 6 fingered wankers down the road. They always had a little go at home too. Not to mention the one trip to the breeze block.

They might have wanted to fight back but rarely put up an opposition. Even when their RYF was on the go, the best they could do was to kick open a gate door at the front of the away end fencing, then did nothing.

They got chased everywhere, even at reading. just don't mention dual carriageways to the brothers. :ROFLMAO:

Brighton hold a grudge still, after the Plasterers Arms incident, Battle of Hove Park in 1982 (I think) et al.

Back
Top Bottom