National News Official 2019 General Election Thread

I'm not saying the 32 hour working week by Labour hasn't been thought through, but it's clear they haven't twigged the impact on the NHS if they implement it. Whooooooooooops!

I'm not saying the 32 hour working week by Labour hasn't been thought through, but it's clear they haven't twigged the impact on the NHS if they implement it. Whooooooooooops!

As long as I get paid for 37 I`m happy................. ?

Reducing the working hours by 10% means increasing the staffing & cost by at least 15% (probably nearer 20%) and the service goes down the pan.

Take my advice get sick Mon - Thursday......... and that`s now! (y)

Trust me, if you aren`t going to die between Friday - Monday you might as well be at home.

And "they" want a "seven day a week" NHS? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

As long as I get paid for 37 I`m happy................. ?

Reducing the working hours by 10% means increasing the staffing & cost by at least 15% (probably nearer 20%) and the service goes down the pan.

Take my advice get sick Mon - Thursday......... and that`s now! (y)

Trust me, if you aren`t going to die between Friday - Monday you might as well be at home.

And "they" want a "seven day a week" NHS? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

People will get their work done in 32 hours, just cut out chatting in the office or posting on a football forum. :)

The 32 hour working week really is a pretty irresponsible idea at the moment (assuming that the plan would be for the same pay as for the 35/37.5/40 hour week).
The costs in the health service, education, police, fire service will all rocket and there will be a big need for an additional staff when there is already a shortage in the health service and the Brexit fallout is not known yet.
Of course everybody would want to reduce their working week and get paid the same but can the country afford it?

The 32 hour working week really is a pretty irresponsible idea at the moment (assuming that the plan would be for the same pay as for the 35/37.5/40 hour week).
The costs in the health service, education, police, fire service will all rocket and there will be a big need for an additional staff when there is already a shortage in the health service and the Brexit fallout is not known yet.
Of course everybody would want to reduce their working week and get paid the same but can the country afford it?
This is Labour's little carrot, dangled in voters faces then disappear on the 13th Dec.....

The singular response by Tory regimes to the pursuit of increased productivity has been working people working longer hours for relatively less reward. The possibility that workers experiencing being valued may produce more effectively is certainly worth considering. That has been my experience, in any case.

Didn’t you spot the „ ban on fracking „ didn’t last a week, lads? That’s the trouble with having a pathological liar as Prime Minister especially one in hock to Russian energy oligarchs.

The singular response by Tory regimes to the pursuit of increased productivity has been working people working longer hours for relatively less reward. The possibility that workers experiencing being valued may produce more effectively is certainly worth considering. That has been my experience, in any case.
By all means but surely there should be some studies done before?
With nurses and doctors and firemen how do staff be more productive by say 10%?
The worry of course is that as the health service will cost more and more anyway, the reduction of the working week could significantly increase the costs even more.

By all means but surely there should be some studies done before?
With nurses and doctors and firemen how do staff be more productive by say 10%?
The worry of course is that as the health service will cost more and more anyway, the reduction of the working week could significantly increase the costs even more.
Don’t disagree. The proposal, I understand, is to implement this over an extended period of time. Studies into behaviour at work has a long history; the point is that Conservative governments take a blinkered view with regards to the (in)efficiency of people at work - check out Dominic Raab’s record on this.

Don’t disagree. The proposal, I understand, is to implement this over an extended period of time. Studies into behaviour at work has a long history; the point is that Conservative governments take a blinkered view with regards to the (in)efficiency of people at work - check out Dominic Raab’s record on this.
How dare you, if there is any group of people who are experts in the area of 'inefficiency at work' , then it is politicians.

People will get their work done in 32 hours, just cut out chatting in the office or posting on a football forum. :)

When you work across multiple systems and your desk looks like something out of a NASA control room clicking to another window isn`t too challenging. ? ?

The issue with efficiency in the NHS is that you never know what is coming in the front door.................. its unpredictable. Bit different to making "stuff" where JIT and the like works we do it the other way round. The disassembled person arrives at the start of the line and we try & put them back together using the tools & kit we`ve got.

Productivity has been a long term issue in the UK, the French are far more productive working less. But equally, is it more effective to say we'll put a study into workplace productivity and work on a plan that may include decreasing hours?

For those of us who work in a global role, it could put our jobs and skills at risk in the UK. One of the niggles I have is it's a limit of hours based on assumptions about certain jobs and sectors, and as with the NHS, it hasn't had near enough thought put into it to even be an item on a manifesto.

We had a period recently where our productivity increased, so it's possible in this environment to be more productive. And we don't know if we put a hard limit on that productivity will increase or even decrease it.

The other bug bear is how the efficiency/productivity is measured.

We have poor performance on unloading ambulances.
We have exceptional performance on post mortem turn around times.

Now the two aren`t linked but would be by politicians....

Productivity is related to investment.

British companies tend not to invest.
There is clearly a link.between in investment and productivity but that isnt the only thing.
I always find the French productivity numbers surprising. Is this purely due to investment ?

Back
Top Bottom