National News Official 2019 General Election Thread

Security of tenure as exists in almost every country. IF you pay your rent you can’t be evicted on a whim as you can in the UK.

Agree.
its actually quite depressing that uk politics is going down the US route where the focus is on personalities not policies,( billionaire red top owners are as much to blame IMO), for me, one of the saddest things is a sizable proportion of the electorate will cast their vote in the mistaken belief that they are voting for a party leader, when ,(in most cases), the vote cast is to elect an MP for the constituency where the voter resides..... Also , the forthcoming Dec 12th GE is to elect a government in the UK, the damn Brexit issue , while a factor, is not the only issue that should be considered when casting a vote(IMO)
Totally agree.
Whilst agreeing the Brexit issue has to be resolved,I am more interested in electing a Government who will start to make Britain great again- rather than the patched economy we have become.

Free buses seems like a pipe dream. If you live in the country areas there are few buses. I like the idea of a large number of small buses costing a small amount. It works well in Malta where you can travel anywhere on the island for €2
Security of tenure is a good idea in principle. I think landlords need more vetting, the idea of six to a room and sheds let out should not happen in modern society. Decent landlords need to be guaranteed a reasonable return otherwise they will leave the market.

It’s fine. I think it’s a tactical error showing the posh boys stitch up.

Explain to me why you think The Hitler Yourh supporter from Dulwich College and the Eton Bullingdon boy are brining about real change.

Of course they both have a history of racism which I imagine might appeal to you.
Wow.
I have only read a little of this thread but that is some post.

I’d love to know who will pay for the free buses. Could it be increased fuel duties?
Free education for adults sounds a great idea. The idea of doing some more A levels appeal to me. That would save me several hundreds of pounds of year, but again it has to be paid for.
Presumably building more council houses has yet to be costed, although I can’t see why converting some of the derelict offices into houses has not been considered. When I see new 3 bed semi detached houses at £400000 in my area suggesting first time buyers would be interested, I wonder how on earth someone at the bottom of the scale is in a position to consider such a commitment.
Is Labours plan to protect tenants include paying for those who default on their rent? Just asking

Labour can use the same magic money tree which Johnson and the Tories are looking to use for all their promises.

If you care about air pollution, reviving the high street, reducing the carbon footprint then free buses make a great deal of sense.

Anyone who has ever traveled in Germany or the Netherlands will know that a cheap integrated public transport system between rail, buses and trams makes life better for everyone. Old people in Villages aren’t cut off. Teenagers get to school. Viable alternatives to cars means fewer car parking spaces needed.

Wow.
I have only read a little of this thread but that is some post.
They have a massive hard on for anyone right wing being racist. It's charming in the sense of it's kind of all they have to offer to the debate other than nationalise everything and tax billionaires more.

Just wait until you get a snide reply to your post next week, where eventually you'll be called racist or a Nazi. Then you know you've truly arrived in the thread!

If you care about air pollution, reviving the high street, reducing the carbon footprint then free buses make a great deal of sense.

Anyone who has ever traveled in Germany or the Netherlands will know that a cheap integrated public transport system between rail, buses and trams makes life better for everyone. Old people in Villages aren’t cut off. Teenagers get to school. Viable alternatives to cars means fewer car parking spaces needed.

We can agree on this!
Prime example of joined up transport thinking is Istanbul.
It`s a ridiculously huge city, population is 15 million+ and it is approx 4 times the geographical area of London...... yet any form of public transport (tram,bus,boat, train) is 70p a journey.
That doesn`t matter if it is 1 stop or from one end of the line to the other, same price.
Result......... it is used by millions and there is far less congestion than in our "big" cities.

Green new deal.
Banning fracking.
Free opportunities to retrain or do adult education.
Security for tenants.
Building new council houses.
Nationalising Railways .
Free buses.
Educational Maintenance allowances.
Support for small businesses

How does "Green new deal" fit in with a ban on fracking?

There are already retrain/adult education opportunities through the Apprenticeship scheme, I`m doing an apprenticeship funded degree in Leadership & Management.

Security for tenants - Already there to a reasonable degree, Section 21 and all that stuff.

Building new Council Houses - I`ll give you that, the funding arrangement was a failure, but I bought one for next to nothing so it wasn`t all bad.

Nationalise railways- you weren`t alive in the days of British Fail and ASLEF (As lef the train down the track..) I`ll guess.

Free buses......... YES ! Or at least joined up public transport under law.

Educational Maintenance allowances - lets go back to the days when only the clever folk went for degrees and they weren`t in photography or yoga!

Support for small buinesses - Already there across the country - needs to be managed locally not nationally. Start local, then grow.

If buses are to be free then presumably they’d have to be nationalised too at great expense.
How would this be funded?
i can only imagine the answer will be to tax car drivers more through greater levies on fuel or vehicle excise duty.
Not sure that is going to win many votes or even be viable

i can only imagine the answer will be to tax car drivers more through greater levies on fuel or vehicle excise duty.
If the whole point of free busses is to stop people using their car, obviously you can't fund it that way. If the policy works, then your funding drops away.

If buses are to be free then presumably they’d have to be nationalised too at great expense.
Is taxing car use and our addiction to fossil fuel use such a bad thing? If so, why?

IMHO, it is only good if there is a viable alternative to replace it and that HAS to be a integrated transport strategy and a big shift towards public transport/mass transit

Parking levy`s, City congestion charges, increased local taxation, increased duty, fuel levies.............. spread it across a wide range, few pennies here & there... soon mounts up.
Add in a bit of legislation for the service providers to stop things like buses that link across cities not having linked timetables..... its "do-able".

Parking levy`s, City congestion charges, increased local taxation, increased duty, fuel levies.............. spread it across a wide range, few pennies here & there... soon mounts up.
Once again, if the policy of getting the public transport right works, these revenue streams disappear, so how do you continue funding?

Or do we go ahead and worry about it later if it works out?

Some sort of change is definitely needed though.

Once again, if the policy of getting the public transport right works, these revenue streams disappear, so how do you continue funding?

I guess it would become (more) financially viable through increased use.

Some will, some won`t.
You could even follow the Turkish model of really cheap fares (under £1) for every journey once you have weaned people off their cars.
Locally it`s around £2 into town (about 1.6 miles).... do that twice a day £20 a week.... folk perceive cars to be cheaper, although they aren`t!

I think a trick being missed with public transport is the slow move away from being in an office 5 days a week for some jobs, and flexible working. There needs to be more thought about how public transport works, where the routes are and how it works in Cities vs Towns vs Countrysides. I worry there is a perception that bus transport is just in large urban conurbations, and not inclusive of the wider environment.

When I lived in a city, it was great, simple and flexible, but commuting elsewhere became a royal pain on public transport as it was more expensive, less reliable and 2 or 3 times longer than driving. Being able to commute outside of the normal hours made the journey in 50% less time and 100% less stressful but some journeys on public transport are awfully hard and time consuming.

And working from home makes it even greater. From bed to logged in just 15 mins when all is quiet. :D

Back
Top Bottom