National News Official 2019 General Election Thread

Oh...and the event at which Nigel Farage announced he was wimping out today...every attendee was charged £2.50 for the privilege...what a card indeed[emoji1787]

The Brexit Party isn’t a Party -it’s a private company
Amazing how this collection of shysters crooks and racists has won the hearts of bashamwonderland essexyellows and Gary Baldi

And the Big Russian oligarchs .

Last edited:
Nothing like a bit of old style Parliamentary corruption- you’re so daring. The people have spoken !
The Brexit Party isn’t a Party -it’s a private company
Amazing how this collection of shysters crooks and racists has won the hearts of bashamwonderland essexyellows and Gary Baldi

And the Big Russian oligarchs .

? It hasn't been a good day for you has it ?

It’s fine. I think it’s a tactical error showing the posh boys stitch up.

Explain to me why you think The Hitler Yourh supporter from Dulwich College and the Eton Bullingdon boy are brining about real change.

Of course they both have a history of racism which I imagine might appeal to you.

On the one hand, this is the only sensible course of action Farage could take.
His stance of fighting every seat would have cost the Tories votes and possibly MPs they needed, and would've put Brexit at greater risk.
So this is - belatedly - the sensible move by him.

But still, it's a bit of a 360 from last week, when "Boris tells us this is a great new deal. It is not. It is a bad old treaty. And simply, it is not Brexit".

Either he's been bribed (possible) or simply pressured beyond his limit by the other Leavers (and the Donald).
Supposedly 20-30 candidates said they were stepping aside if Farage didn't change tack on fighting every seat and there was a lot of pressure internally to do the right thing in the bigger picture. I see the conspiracy details that are floating around, but this is one for Occam's Razor.

It was interesting seeing how aggravated the Lib Dems are by this and the Trump tropes come out. I can only think they had assumed the Brexit Party would break the Leave vote in key areas and now it's not, making their life harder in places like the South West.

The other point I've not seen on this is a simple too. The Brexit Party stepping back gives them and the Tories more money to fight other seats. For the Brexit Party, does this ultimately help them win seats? Farage can visit more, they can get more feet on pavements and target efforts more professionally.

Even more weirder, did they ever intend to put 600+ candidates up?

yet another 180 degree turn from 'flip-flop' johnson n co .... only a few days ago Johnson announced a total halt to fracking in the UK, then, on the quiet (he hoped) this was attempted to be sneaked in under the radar! Tories cannot be trusted ....

The campaigns are depressing me already. Both Labour and the Tories are more interested in 'playing the man, not the ball'. Is this what we've become? Some kind of US-lite where petty Point scoring over minor incidents and shouting loudest are more important than any actual policies?
Agree.
its actually quite depressing that uk politics is going down the US route where the focus is on personalities not policies,( billionaire red top owners are as much to blame IMO), for me, one of the saddest things is a sizable proportion of the electorate will cast their vote in the mistaken belief that they are voting for a party leader, when ,(in most cases), the vote cast is to elect an MP for the constituency where the voter resides..... Also , the forthcoming Dec 12th GE is to elect a government in the UK, the damn Brexit issue , while a factor, is not the only issue that should be considered when casting a vote(IMO)

The campaigns are depressing me already. Both Labour and the Tories are more interested in 'playing the man, not the ball'. Is this what we've become? Some kind of US-lite where petty Point scoring over minor incidents and shouting loudest are more important than any actual policies?
And the Lib Dems seems to have found the Maybot's presidential style campaign literature and are determined to run it.

Until we get manifestos, we're going to be in the phoney war that we have now. - I guess the Tories having a vaguely competent social media campaign is ratcheting up the point scoring and hysteria.

Labour have loads of excellent policies. Green new deal. Banning fracking. Free opportunities to retrain or do adult education. Security for tenants. Building new council houses. Nationalising Railways . Free buses. Educational Maintenance allowances. Support for small businesses
Maybe you should pay less attention to the Daily Express lads.

I’d love to know who will pay for the free buses. Could it be increased fuel duties?
Free education for adults sounds a great idea. The idea of doing some more A levels appeal to me. That would save me several hundreds of pounds of year, but again it has to be paid for.
Presumably building more council houses has yet to be costed, although I can’t see why converting some of the derelict offices into houses has not been considered. When I see new 3 bed semi detached houses at £400000 in my area suggesting first time buyers would be interested, I wonder how on earth someone at the bottom of the scale is in a position to consider such a commitment.
Is Labours plan to protect tenants include paying for those who default on their rent? Just asking

Back
Top Bottom