Nile Ranger

But I agree Nile Ranger should not even be offered a trial. His convictions clearly show that he is a thug with no respect for the law or other people. No thanks ........................
doesnt he often get found guilty when hes on trial?:unsure:

This is a difficult one and tbh he shouldn’t play for a club again with his history, but and it’s a big but, if as he has said to KR he wants a chance to turn himself around and start again and as I said it’s a big if, I’m sure KR has been very clear to him as to what he expects if he is given a contract. He is a bad boy but I’m sure he has a brain and realises it’s his very last chance, then who knows.

This is a difficult one and tbh he shouldn’t play for a club again with his history, but and it’s a big but, if as he has said to KR he wants a chance to turn himself around and start again and as I said it’s a big if, I’m sure KR has been very clear to him as to what he expects if he is given a contract. He is a bad boy but I’m sure he has a brain and realises it’s his very last chance, then who knows.
If he had a brain, he wouldn't have a list of convictions. One mistake ok, two is bad, but he has multiple convictions. look elsewhere.

The point is though Bazzer, even if you are prepared to forgive him his past and give him another chance - never minding that he is hugely unlikely to take it by behaving and doesn't ever seem to learn his lesson - he isn't actually a very good striker. So even if you can actually stomach him putting on an Oxford shirt and representing us then it is still a very poor risk/reward gamble (never mind any damage to the reputation of the club).

The vast majority of us would prefer, I am sure, to give Lopes, James etc a chance. Better for them and better for us.

I think we can all see what could be happening here. KR said that Ranger asked to meet him in London before the Charlton game. The meeting took place and KR laid down the law as to what was required from him to even be considered for a contract. NR agreed and begged to be given a chance.
It seems obvious to me that if it came to fruition he would be on a fairly cheep deal for L1 with clauses about behavior etc. In a nutshell I think that's where we are at.

Least it keeps his Wiki page "busy"............................................. now I`m all for second chances but his CV exceeds that somewhat.

In 2007, at the age of 15, he was sentenced to 11 weeks in a Young Offenders Institute after being convicted of participating in street robbery in Muswell Hill, London.

In May 2011 Ranger was questioned by Newcastle after posing with a replica gun in a photograph.[44]

On 27 August 2011 he was arrested on suspicion of assaulting a man in Newcastle city centre, leaving the victim unconscious in the street. Ranger was subsequently dropped to Newcastle United's reserve team. He was found not guilty of the charge in October 2012.[45]

In October 2011 he was charged with being drunk and disorderly in Newcastle's Cathedral Square. The charge came only days after Ranger had been reinstated to Newcastle United's first-team training after a three-month exile in the club's reserves.[46]

In March 2012, he was fined by The FA for making homophobic comments on social networking website Twitter.[47]

In the early hours of 23 September 2012, police were called to a house in Enfield, north London after reports of a disturbance. The front door of the property was badly damaged and Ranger was arrested at the scene and later charged with criminal damage.[48] The charge against Ranger was dropped that November after the court accepted his explanation that he had damaged the door after fearing his girlfriend was being kidnapped.[49]

On 25 January 2013, Ranger was arrested on suspicion of rape in a Newcastle hotel room.[50] In connection with the same alleged offence, Ranger was charged with rape on 8 July 2013.[51] On 4 March 2014 he was cleared of the charge at Newcastle Crown Court.[52]

On 14 March 2013, Ranger was charged with common assault after an incident in Newcastle city centre.[53]

On 23 March 2014, Ranger was arrested on suspicion of causing criminal damage to a taxi in Liverpool.[54] He later pleaded guilty to criminal damage and was fined £1,000 and was ordered to pay compensation to the taxi driver for breaking a window. Ranger said that he was enraged by being called a rapist by the driver.[55]

On 28 April 2014 Ranger was charged with criminal damage after an incident at a block of flats in Swindon on 13 April.[56] He was later fined for damage to the door of his flat in relation to this incident which was captured on CCTV, in an incident where he additionally appeared to strike his female companion three times on the face.[57]

In May 2014, Ranger was found not guilty of being drunk in charge of his vehicle, after being found asleep in the driver's seat of his car on the M4 motorway.[58]

In December 2016, Ranger was charged with conspiracy to defraud and conspiracy to commit money laundering, in respect of offences alleged to have been committed in February 2015.[59] In January 2017, he pleaded guilty to conspiracy to defraud at Wood Green Crown Court.[60] On 23 May 2017, he was sentenced to eight months in prison.[9] On 11 August 2017, he was released after 10 weeks of his sentence due to "his consistently excellent custodial behaviour", remaining under curfew for the next five weeks.[61]

The point is though Bazzer, even if you are prepared to forgive him his past and give him another chance - never minding that he is hugely unlikely to take it by behaving and doesn't ever seem to learn his lesson - he isn't actually a very good striker. So even if you can actually stomach him putting on an Oxford shirt and representing us then it is still a very poor risk/reward gamble (never mind any damage to the reputation of the club).

The vast majority of us would prefer, I am sure, to give Lopes, James etc a chance. Better for them and better for us.
I don’t have a problem with Lopes/James or even Spasov. But you’re right it would be a poor risk/gamble and as Robbo said it’s a million miles away a contract and he probably will f**k himself up over the award of a contract. At the end of the day Robbo will I’m sure say yes or no as to whether he has earned one.

Least it keeps his Wiki page "busy"............................................. now I`m all for second chances but his CV exceeds that somewhat.

In 2007, at the age of 15, he was sentenced to 11 weeks in a Young Offenders Institute after being convicted of participating in street robbery in Muswell Hill, London.

In May 2011 Ranger was questioned by Newcastle after posing with a replica gun in a photograph.[44]

On 27 August 2011 he was arrested on suspicion of assaulting a man in Newcastle city centre, leaving the victim unconscious in the street. Ranger was subsequently dropped to Newcastle United's reserve team. He was found not guilty of the charge in October 2012.[45]

In October 2011 he was charged with being drunk and disorderly in Newcastle's Cathedral Square. The charge came only days after Ranger had been reinstated to Newcastle United's first-team training after a three-month exile in the club's reserves.[46]

In March 2012, he was fined by The FA for making homophobic comments on social networking website Twitter.[47]

In the early hours of 23 September 2012, police were called to a house in Enfield, north London after reports of a disturbance. The front door of the property was badly damaged and Ranger was arrested at the scene and later charged with criminal damage.[48] The charge against Ranger was dropped that November after the court accepted his explanation that he had damaged the door after fearing his girlfriend was being kidnapped.[49]

On 25 January 2013, Ranger was arrested on suspicion of rape in a Newcastle hotel room.[50] In connection with the same alleged offence, Ranger was charged with rape on 8 July 2013.[51] On 4 March 2014 he was cleared of the charge at Newcastle Crown Court.[52]

On 14 March 2013, Ranger was charged with common assault after an incident in Newcastle city centre.[53]

On 23 March 2014, Ranger was arrested on suspicion of causing criminal damage to a taxi in Liverpool.[54] He later pleaded guilty to criminal damage and was fined £1,000 and was ordered to pay compensation to the taxi driver for breaking a window. Ranger said that he was enraged by being called a rapist by the driver.[55]

On 28 April 2014 Ranger was charged with criminal damage after an incident at a block of flats in Swindon on 13 April.[56] He was later fined for damage to the door of his flat in relation to this incident which was captured on CCTV, in an incident where he additionally appeared to strike his female companion three times on the face.[57]

In May 2014, Ranger was found not guilty of being drunk in charge of his vehicle, after being found asleep in the driver's seat of his car on the M4 motorway.[58]

In December 2016, Ranger was charged with conspiracy to defraud and conspiracy to commit money laundering, in respect of offences alleged to have been committed in February 2015.[59] In January 2017, he pleaded guilty to conspiracy to defraud at Wood Green Crown Court.[60] On 23 May 2017, he was sentenced to eight months in prison.[9] On 11 August 2017, he was released after 10 weeks of his sentence due to "his consistently excellent custodial behaviour", remaining under curfew for the next five weeks.[61]
Yes yes yes - but apart from all that?!

I think we can all see what could be happening here. KR said that Ranger asked to meet him in London before the Charlton game. The meeting took place and KR laid down the law as to what was required from him to even be considered for a contract. NR agreed and begged to be given a chance.
It seems obvious to me that if it came to fruition he would be on a fairly cheep deal for L1 with clauses about behavior etc. In a nutshell I think that's where we are at.

if you listen to the tru geordie interview you will learn this was the deal he had a Blackpool and Ranger said it meant he couldnt play true to himself as he was avoiding tackles to not get injured as if he was injured he wouldn't earn any money. He has said he would only consider a contract that pays him properly which is probably another reason why he hasnt had a club...

If we pay him a proper contract it just needs clauses for cancelling if certain behaviour happens, then he can play true to himself but not fook up off the pitch.

Fair to say then that he’s been a bit of a naughty boy.

Would you employ him in your company? Of course not. Plus a footballer is expected to be something of a role model, so that makes him even less suitable

Not particularly a fan of this ‘footballers should be role model’ argument. Surely ‘Role Models’ should be closer to home e.g. parents/ family etc. Footballers are employed because they are good at the game.

Apologies if already mentioned …….. according to Wiki he has only scored 26 goals in 160 appearances in TEN years.
That is an average of 2.6 goals per year.
One goal every 6.1 games which equates to about 7 goals a season if he played in EVERY game.
Last season he scored 1 goal in 15 appearances for Southend in our league.
Even, ignoring his criminal record, the goal scoring stats are shocking.
It is a NO from me.

Not particularly a fan of this ‘footballers should be role model’ argument. Surely ‘Role Models’ should be closer to home e.g. parents/ family etc. Footballers are employed because they are good at the game.

They can always choose a different profession if they don't like it mate..obviously the money will be a lot less but we all have to make choices.

Back
Top Bottom