General New Head of Recruitment: Ed Waldron

We're hiring people from Shrewsbury and Oxford City? Good, they've both done really well recently, though Shrewsbury's style isn't to my taste. Ox City have a really good team that would give our sorry bunch a game.

With Mark Thomas's planned departure a few months back, I hope the summer and winter recruitment windows weren't a taster of things to come now. Ideally I would've preferred an external appointment to really freshen things up but with his experience under Mark and deserved progression within the club, I hope we can continue in the spirit that we had prior to this season. No more 11th hour desperate cripple signings on outlandish wages for starters! Huge responsibility on his shoulders and the amount of work required to turn this around and steady the wages will probably be significant and take a very long time.
I was thinking how much involvement did he have in those two disastrous windows.

Didn't Tim Williams imply (or indeed actually say) in one interview that a Head of Recruitment was the same as a Director of Football?

I don't know anything at all about this chap apart from what I have just seen (and he seems sensible enough), but I think it's a bit of a shame that the club hasn't taken the chance to inject a bit of new blood with new contacts and a different approach.
Someone with experience of being a director of football would have been a real boost in the arm for the club..

Saving money cuts the debt down a bit, again.
The debt is getting bigger and bigger.
Did you see the list of the recruitment team planned?
There is no way that the debt is coming down.
I suspect that the clubs losses will be what £2m this season? I am really confused how saving money will cur the debt down a bit, again.

So as Liam has said that he’s ultimately responsible, if he were to take the same stance as Karl e.g. doesn’t like the players proposed by other recruitment team members (not saying he will, but if he’s ultimately responsible with the axe over his head he might), then will Liam be moved on quicker than it took them to get rid of Karl? Also, worrying that Grant etc are involved e.g. Ed leaning in their experience as Grant was/is part of the issue with our current squad as he told me at the Fans Forum in December that him and Karl ONLY identified ONE high risk player in Murphy!!
I think that this is maybe not something to worry about at the moment (if Manning ignores the recruitment team would he be sacked quickly)!
The indication from Manning and Waldren is that the club is reverting back to a previous model.
From last summer, it is nearly a completely new team, so we will find out soon enough in the next window.

I see the moaners are out in force again, Jesus give it a f*****g break. Yes, it was far too long before KR got the sack, and yes it took a couple of weeks to get LM and assistant into place, and now we have ED back. There are possible other spaces that we need to fill, but it is being done. FFS give the new and returning staff a f*****g chance to get into their respective roles. I would assume that LM knows the team he will be working with behind the scenes and on the field of play? All positive news I say, so Lay off.

I suspect that the clubs losses will be what £2m this season? I am really confused how saving money will cur the debt down a bit, again.

That sounds exceptionally optimistic to me. After all, we lost £4m in 20/21.
Granted, revenues were down about £600k that season due to Covid but we also sold Rob Dickie in that window.

We sold McNally and had the Arsenal game this season, but we've spent more than we ever have before on wages and paid several fees as well.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if we lost £4-5m in 22/23.

But we won't find out for another year......accounts for 21/22 should be released any day now though.

I think that he suggested that it will go back to how it was ( looking 3 windows ahead)

This was also the line in Ed Waldron's quotes that drew my attention.

Reading between the lines - we had a structure and a methodology that was working really well for the club, then Karl changed it and ****ed everything up. And now we're going to go back to what we were doing. But it's going to take a little while to correct the damage he did.

I can only see positives with this. He worked closely with Mark Thomas (who everyone lauded over). Now with you know who out of the way, it could be a good appointment
Yes but surely Mark Davis had input in the last 3
Transfer windows.

I see the moaners are out in force again, Jesus give it a f*****g break. Yes, it was far too long before KR got the sack, and yes it took a couple of weeks to get LM and assistant into place, and now we have ED back. There are possible other spaces that we need to fill, but it is being done. FFS give the new and returning staff a f*****g chance to get into their respective roles. I would assume that LM knows the team he will be working with behind the scenes and on the field of play? All positive news I say, so Lay off.
Everyone ought to wait until the next summer transfer window is finished then we can moan or jump for joy.

Exactly this. We need not just a rebuild on the pitch but LM needs to be part of a rebuild of staff behind the scenes.
The club are making progress with this, it might not be as quick as some want but there is still slow progress.

It will all take time to get everything in place and right now the only goal I see for the club is to stay up.

Once we do that then we can all start moaning about the new shirt for next season, season tickets and the fact we haven’t rebuilt the squad by June 1st.

Back
Top Bottom