General New Head of Recruitment: Ed Waldron

I like to see people being given opportunity to progress from within the club, so good luck to Ed. His experience gained under Mark Thomas will serve him well and hopefully he can deliver continuity from the progressive aspects of our much-missed recruitment model.

If you have access to iFollow, there's an 11 minute interview with Ed, which is worth a watch.

Just a shame that the board and management didn't act sooner and perhaps, have retained Mark Thomas as well. Good news is that Ed Waldron is from the data driven side of recruitment and already very much aware of the analyst data available for the current players.
With a return to the previous model and the right people on board and, given the board's readiness to spend money on players alongside the development squad, we ought to see some exciting new players coming in the summer.
A positive move at last.

So based on the long interview on iFollow and a quick look on linkedin, set-up is:

Head of Recruitment - Ed Waldron
Assistant Head of Recruitment - Vacant (not clear whether directly replacing Ed Waldron)
Lead Recruitment Analyst - Naythan Din-Kariuki (New in post, previously recruitment analyst at OUFC for 2.5 years)
Chief Scout - Vacant (Recruitment confirmed as ongoing)
Football Advisor - Derek Fazackerley
Consultant Data Analyst - Matt Penn (New in post, worked at Oxford City, PhD in Maths & Stats from University of Oxford)
First Team Video Scout - Andy Mitchell (New in post, worked at Shrewsbury previously)

Quite a few roles are remote/interns and/or part-time as tends to be the case with scouts/analysts. And of course there will be others who don't list themselves on linkedin.

Waldron suggests they're looking to get some more scouts recruited to rebuild that area of the department and have good coverage across the UK & Ireland as well as putting his own ideas (learnt from his career so far including time at Bordeaux) in to the processes/systems.

Last edited:
I can only imagine that his input was similar to Mark Thomas.

Which was to come up with ideas and get ignored by Robinson in favour of high risk/low reward type signings like Murphy.
That's my point of trying to understand what will be different irrespective of the manager.
A title / process without power?

Welcome Ed, now the pleasantries are over, I hope you’ve already started looking at targets for next season, and please, pleas, please no more crocs

So based on the long interview on iFollow and a quick look on linkedin, set-up is:

Head of Recruitment - Ed Waldron
Assistant Head of Recruitment - Vacant (not clear whether directly replacing Ed Waldron)
Lead Recruitment Analyst - Naythan Din-Kariuki (New in post, previously recruitment analyst at OUFC for 2.5 years)
Chief Scout - Vacant (Recruitment confirmed as ongoing)
Football Advisor - Derek Fazackerley
Consultant Data Analyst - Matt Penn (New in post, worked at Oxford City, PhD in Maths & Stats from University of Oxford)
First Team Video Scout - Andy Mitchell (New in post, worked at Shrewsbury previously)

Quite a few roles are remote/interns and/or part-time as tends to be the case with scouts/analysts. And of course there will be others who don't list themselves on linkedin.

Waldron suggests they're looking to get some more scouts recruited to rebuild that area of the department and have good coverage across the UK & Ireland as well as putting his own ideas (learnt from his career so far including time at Bordeaux) in to the processes/systems.
Just reading the above, is our new Lead Recruitment Analyst the same person as the previous recruitment analyst, just with ”Lead” now added to his title?

The consultant data analyst was previously at Ox City? But a University graduate?

The video scout formerly at Shrewsbury?

Some slightly underwhelming (on paper at least) appointments amongst our new crew there I’d say.

Not meaning to be negative, it’s just I so badly want this club to succeed and get to the Championship at the very least, and all the talk has been about long recruitment processes to bring in high calibre people, and maybe these will turn out to be, but at face value I’m not getting a top 30 club vibe at the moment.

Having said that I wish them all well and hope they’ll deliver our ambition, if that remains as stated.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom