Music

Hardly ever listen to anything older than 5 years old. Too much interesting new stuff. Currently:

Nils Frahm
Hookworms
Shame
Girlpool
Shopping
Jamie Lenman (quote “Now, yes, I am an English man;
From Oxford, if you please” - Kidlington lad originally, apparently)
Japanese Breakfast
Frida Sundemo
Jessie Reyez
Rina Sawayama
Waxahatchee
Yoke Lore
Low Island (from Oxford)
Thanks for leading me to Hookworms on YouTube, some good tracks.

Hardly ever listen to anything older than 5 years old. Too much interesting new stuff. Currently:

Nils Frahm
Hookworms
Shame
Girlpool
Shopping
Jamie Lenman (quote “Now, yes, I am an English man;
From Oxford, if you please” - Kidlington lad originally, apparently)
Japanese Breakfast
Frida Sundemo
Jessie Reyez
Rina Sawayama
Waxahatchee
Yoke Lore
Low Island (from Oxford)
Thanks for leading me to Hookworms on YouTube, some good tracks.

The new album is really really good

One main stage. Well it was the first year. Had a marquee with the local bands in and various others sound the arena.
Not a lot of bands on the bill that float my boat, but I've seen plenty of bands over the years that weren't particularly up my street and enjoyed them.
IMO £60 approx for 2days of music locally is worth a punt. Enjoyed it the first year, had prior engagements last year. Let's hope it's a nice sunny weekend.
As an aside a mate and myself were chatting on a long car journey that its a pity Radiohead couldn't do South Park again. Play the Saturday after Common People and share costs of setting up stage and arena.
Radiohead South Park I would say us still the best gig I have ever been to, they were awesome that day. Got the poster from that gig framed on my wall.

Radiohead South Park I would say us still the best gig I have ever been to, they were awesome that day. Got the poster from that gig framed on my wall.
was an awesome day start to finish ....even the monsoon-like conditions towards the end didn't dampen the spirits or vibe of one the most memorable music events ever in Oxford:cool:

Harold Melvin and Bluenotes lead singer (and drummer initially) for many years until he went solo as a singer to international a claim.... one of his very earliest recordings was as Teddy & the fingerpoppers- soul groove pt1 &2, .....a highly sought after big money rarity on the Philly based arctic label, and an occasional spin of mine when djing.....its on YouTube btw @Colin B ...enjoy ;)

Only just seen this @Sarge

Interesting track, I'd not heard it before. Interesting in that it was a blend of Northern Soul, but with a Philly sound, and some of the guitar work was reminiscent of the Intruders or certain O'Jays tracks.

any punks/ex punks or just want something different to listen to - subhumans new album came out in august. not far off from their music from the early-mid 80s.
and also worth a listen is culture shock. couple of members from the subhumans but not as aggressive - punk/ska ???

any punks/ex punks or just want something different to listen to - subhumans new album came out in august. not far off from their music from the early-mid 80s.
and also worth a listen is culture shock. couple of members from the subhumans but not as aggressive - punk/ska ???
check out Amyl and The Sniffers. new Ozzie punk band.

Long story...... try Hands off Gretel..... they deserve success.

Longer story..... Holly Henderson...... @MarkG ..down your way.

And if you like a drummer I`ll point you to Kate Porter, video`s a bit rough but it was in a pub in Newark!

There is some talent out there and live music is far from dead. (y)

check out Amyl and The Sniffers. new Ozzie punk band.
great name!
not many new(ish) bands i listen to really. like subhumans/culture shock/citizen fish but music taste varies from bands like that to Hawkwind-pink floyd-gong etc to dub/ska. Public image ltd are another must listen.
autonomads are a recent addition to my collection

Dont get to see as many live bands/acts and artists as I used to these days.... a few from a wide range of musical genres who have impressed me, (for different reasons), in recent- ish times

The Spitfires

Stone Foundation

Riskee and The Ridicule

Sleaford Mods

Goodbye Victory Road

The Total Rejection

Le Emu Tavern

Shalala's

King Hammond

Emptifish

I don’t listen to much old music anymore…

Here’s a few current bands for all you stick in the muds:

Gaffa Tape Sandy
Girl Band
Cassels (from Witney!)
Candy Says (from Oxford!)
The Murder Capital
Heavy Lungs
Easter Island Statues (from Oxford!)
The Overload (from Oxford!)
Skint and Demoralised

Anyone going to Ritual Union tomorrow?

I don’t listen to much old music anymore…

Here’s a few current bands for all you stick in the muds:

Gaffa Tape Sandy
Girl Band
Cassels (from Witney!)
Candy Says (from Oxford!)
The Murder Capital
Heavy Lungs
Easter Island Statues (from Oxford!)
The Overload (from Oxford!)
Skint and Demoralised

Anyone going to Ritual Union tomorrow?
We had Ritual Union on our radar for ages but it's fallen by the wayside for this year. Would have liked to see the Young Knives, but it didn't fit in with our schedule in the end.

We had Ritual Union on our radar for ages but it's fallen by the wayside for this year. Would have liked to see the Young Knives, but it didn't fit in with our schedule in the end.

It’s a great lineup

I don't know many of the artists, but flitting around the Cowley Road for a day catching bands always sounds like a great use of time. Hopefully next year.

2 of the above are both playing:

Candy Says - dreamy electronic-tinged pop music, featuring THE best vocalist in Oxford in the last decade - Julia-Sophie Walker

The Murder Capital - intelligent, aggressive post-punk band from Dublin

Candy Says - dreamy electronic-tinged pop music, featuring THE best vocalist in Oxford in the last decade - Julia-Sophie Walker

the murder capital sound ok - reminds me a bit of peter and the test tube babies
(although a bit slower and minus the merrydown cider)

Last edited:

Thanks, I'll give The Murder Capital a go. I know Candy Says, they supported Kanadia at their album launch back in March, were really good.

Thanks, I'll give The Murder Capital a go. I know Candy Says, they supported Kanadia at their album launch back in March, were really good.
Candy Says ... IMO, are a bit good :)

always worth grabbing a hard copy of local music bible Nightshift for local band info

or vist the website ....

Back
Top Bottom