General MK at home followed by Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s s**t but nothing I can do about it. Still getting the train in and going on the P**s with my mates tomorrow and I doubt I will be alone in that, so not certain what it solves but there you go.
Well, you won't have 5,000 mates all shouting and inhaling little droplets of each other's spit, will you? (I mean, if you were in Sunderland or Newcastle you might, I guess).

It’s s**t but nothing I can do about it. Still getting the train in and going on the P**s with my mates tomorrow and I doubt I will be alone in that, so not certain what it solves but there you go.
Wig and pen it is

it’s disappointing but is the right thing to do. It’s just a leisure pursuit that can be stopped for now while some more essential activities and travel are allowed to continue
While I agree that it’s the right thing to do I do think the football industry is more than just a leisure pursuit, it’s a massively valuable industry that provides careers and livelihoods for at least 100s of 1000s of people (not just players and coaches, but journalists, pubs, even security staff, etc). This is an astonishingly impactful decision!

Well, you won't have 5,000 mates all shouting and inhaling little droplets of each other's spit, will you? (I mean, if you were in Sunderland or Newcastle you might, I guess).
You've got it completely wrong... Someone with the virus attending the pub will infect far more people than if they attended a football game.

100 % correct decision. Now time to close schools / kindergardens. Make everyone who can work from home. Stop all events of over 50 people. Close leisure facilities. And quarantine everyone who enters the country for 2 weeks. Otherwise we will be in an Italy like situation in a few weeks.

I’m 41, barely have 5 friends now. But if all of those who attend go shopping, pub etc it just disperses those 5000 into different areas to gob and flem.

I think it could be the end of the season, how are clubs going to start up again in April if the disease is still spreading, just taking the football side in the equation how many players or their families going to be affected, ground and stadium staff to run the clubs, this is only the first step before a bigger shutdown.
I agree, it's certainly going to be difficult to finish this season, and decide who gets promoted, relegated, title winners etc, and how they can make these decisions without massively effecting next season is beyond me, but it is what it is.

From a health and safety point of view, the EFL can't allow events under their stewardship to go ahead, when hundreds of thousands of people all over the country will be flooding stadiums, public transport, carpools, pubs, restaurants etc risking a huge increase in widespread infection.

There will always be cocky smart arses who think they know best, and will say cancelling sporting events is an overreaction, but I heard someone (Rory Mcilroy I think?!?) quoted on sky sports today as saying: "Today's overreaction, might be tomorrow's under reaction" and it's very true, this is a serious situation, and we can't be too careful.

It would be a bloody awful way for what has been an amazing season to end though

100 % correct decision. Now time to close schools / kindergardens. Make everyone who can work from home. Stop all events of over 50 people. Close leisure facilities. And quarantine everyone who enters the country for 2 weeks. Otherwise we will be in an Italy like situation in a few weeks.

Your comment is entirely incorrect as explained by the experts flanking Boris Johnson yesterday. Please can everyone watch this video.
What you suggest will cause the red curve below. Childcare will be forced into the hands of grandparents who are the population at risk of suffering the bad symptoms as a result of this. There will be no healthcare without childcare.

flattening_the_curve_final.jpg

Last edited:
Your comment is entirely incorrect as explained by the experts flanking Boris Johnson yesterday. Please can everyone watch this video.

What you suggest will cause the red curve below. Childcare will be forced into the hands of grandparents who are the population at risk of suffering the bad symptoms as a result of this. There will be no healthcare without childcare.

And you believe boris johnson. Why has the majority of europe implemented the measures i mentioned then.

I know it is popular to distrust the establishment but watch the video before commenting.
Boris Johnson is a f*****g moronic buffoon, so no, I won't be listening to a word that prat says.

There's a serious global viral pandemic, and on health and safety grounds, drastic steps need to be taken, to protect the wider public.

Very unfortunate set of circumstances, but there really is no other option, it would be irresponsible to just carry on as normal, it's gone beyond that now.

Last edited:
Just repeating the link I posted a day or two ago. This convinced me that shutdown is the correct thing to do. Social and economic considerations have to come second to simple communal health. Money can’t buy you out of this.

If you want something more light-hearted, but also valid, try this:

As an example norway are keeping childcare / schools open to parents who are in society critical jobs. This frees up healthcare workers while ensuring that people are isolated to reduce the virus spread. Kids home from school are carrying on with school work online.

Robie is right and I've posted my view on the games off thread so I won't bore everyone by reposting it here. My usual suspicion of the government kicked in so I asked a scientist with lots of knowledge in this type of area. Her reaction was that attempting to flatten the curve was exactly the right thing to try now so it would make sense for the football authorities to play their part in complying where they can by allowing matches to continue where possible

Last edited:
What has changed is that club staff and players have started to test positive. In a matter of days there would likely be very few games that could feature two full strength teams. The clubs themselves through the FA and EFL have therefore decided to suspend all games now.

Discussions on government policy are not therefore relevant. It's specific to football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom