General MK at home followed by Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if in six months we will look back on all this and see it was another bird flu / swine flu / SARS type false alarm, which for some reason they chose to completely freak out about when it wasn’t even as harmful as common influenza. And if so, I wonder what the reason for them doing so was. Why this time? Plenty of people are being confirmed as having it who are stunned as they either feel nothing at all or have symptoms that aren’t even as bad as a moderate winter cold. The government themselves reckon it’s incredibly likely that tens if not hundreds of thousands of people already have it, in which case its impact is minimal in the extreme.

I’m certainly not being a climate change denier, so to speak - we’ll have to wait and see what this all ends up being. But I’m not automatically convinced that this is the 21st Century black death it’s being painted out as. Let’s wait and see with our own eyes what happens in the next few weeks in particular. Maybe it will be absolute carnage. Maybe it won’t be.
Yeah i hope you’re right but I’d rather we overreacted a bit now then chilled later if things weren’t as bad as feared. I don’t think anyone’s saying it’s the Black Death but they want to avoid hospitals being overwhelmed and being unable to cope with people with other serious issues.

Yeah i hope you’re right but I’d rather we overreacted a bit now then chilled later if things weren’t as bad as feared. I don’t think anyone’s saying it’s the Black Death but they want to avoid hospitals being overwhelmed and being unable to cope with people with other serious issues.
Like I say, I could be totally wrong - I am absolutely not a doctor or health professional, and I will comply with whatever decision is made. I’m categorically not saying it isn’t real, or isn’t potentially very serious and harmful, and so on. I’m just saying that given the absolutely unprecedented response going on around the world, they’re going to have to be right about this. If this turns out to be another wet fart then the damage they’re going to do to public trust is enormous.

We can only assume and trust that they are right about this, and time will tell. But it’s not as cut and dried as the reaction would suggest presently. Odd times.

Like I say, I could be totally wrong - I am absolutely not a doctor or health professional, and I will comply with whatever decision is made. I’m categorically not saying it isn’t real, or isn’t potentially very serious and harmful, and so on. I’m just saying that given the absolutely unprecedented response going on around the world, they’re going to have to be right about this. If this turns out to be another wet fart then the damage they’re going to do to public trust is enormous.

We can only assume and trust that they are right about this, and time will tell. But it’s not as cut and dried as the reaction would suggest presently. Odd times.
It’s the first big health crisis of the Internet age, with all the extra scrutiny and discussion that brings. But hospitals in Italy are struggling and I really wouldn’t want to have some other serious health issue there now if there was a risk of no bed being available

It’s the first big health crisis of the Internet age
Swine flu fell into a similar category (social media was very much around at the time) and the situation was sensationalised on news bulletins, and splashed across the front pages of papers for weeks on end. There was talk of cancelling public events and all sorts back then as well. Again, I am not saying this means this situation is all a load of guff, but there are only so many times that you can tell people to get into the bomb shelter and cover their heads, only to be met with relative silence and barely a tremor, before people stop listening. I hope this is all an overreaction because if it is then the reality will mean that far, far less people got sick or passed away altogether that had been suggested, and that’s the priority first and foremost. Nobody wants to see it go the other way.

I'd be very interested to hear of a common motivator for China, the States, Europe and the UK!
Deflecting from the true cause of a global economic collapse by being able to blame it all on the measures they put in place to stop a virus.

2054C34B-89D0-4778-88FA-4A4B61882429.jpeg

One of the problems here is that if the best possible action is taken, then the number of severe cases and deaths will minimised, or spread out in time, and everyone will say “see it was all just a big out of proportion alarm”” I knew it wouldn’t be that bad”. I’d prefer to be in the situation of not knowing how big a bullet we have dodged, rather than not act and discover exactly how big a bullet it is.
Certainly nothing is cut and dried anywhere. It is a new disease, and by any reckoning a nasty and infectious one. Beyond that it’s all about data collection, analysis, modelling and attempting to predict the future. Epidemiology is advanced enough to give us some strong ideas of where it is heading, but can’t be precise.

Patrick Vallance & Boris or the WHO plus the rest of Europe plus 229 leading scientists in the UK. Head in the sand comes to mind.
That would be the 229 "leading" scientists who Sky News looked into and said were 'mostly PhD students and not medical scientists at all.'
So just a poorly disguised attempt by left wing activists to undermine government policy, which at a time of national crisis is pretty shameful imo.

That would be the 229 "leading" scientists who Sky News looked into and said were 'mostly PhD students and not medical scientists at all.'
So just a poorly disguised attempt by left wing activists to undermine government policy, which at a time of national crisis is pretty shameful imo.
“Sky news in expert-shaming dog whistle shocker” :). There are some PhD students I would trust way more than some experienced professors and there are “non-medical” scientists whose analysis I would trust before many medics. Thank god we’ve got sky news to peer review them all, though.

Deflecting from the true cause of a global economic collapse by being able to blame it all on the measures they put in place to stop a virus.

View attachment 3155

I know you're being daft but I'll answer anyway.

No-one needs to find anyone or anything to blame in a global economic collapse.

Even if you somehow decided you need to, just blame the EU or China, we'll lap it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom