Ex Player Matt Taylor

Peterdev

Well on the way to writing himself into the history books. Scored 50 goals in 108 appearances. Good old fashioned striker who does the job

Update:

17/07/23 - rejoins FGR

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit of a random day to start this thread, considering he didn’t score and didn’t really impact the game much at all, but hopefully he stays for a while longer yet, I can’t see him getting to 100 goals or anything like that, but even as he gets older he is the perfect striker to bring off the bench

Actually thought he was miles of his best today and a couple of weeks off will do him good. Unusually his touch was poor and gave the ball away often. Not helped though by Gav playing too far away from him and also up against a good defender who lapped up the number of high balls we were hoofing.

Actually thought he was miles of his best today and a couple of weeks off will do him good. Unusually his touch was poor and gave the ball away often. Not helped though by Gav playing too far away from him and also up against a good defender who lapped up the number of high balls we were hoofing.
I thought he did well today given they had 3 X CBs who were about 6ft 5 and we just kept smashing the ball in the air to him. I think he made life difficult for them which was about all he could do!

Been great for the club no doubt about that, he was ineffective yesterday but he was outnumbered with little support. If anything yesterday highlighted just how much we’re going miss the partnership of Taylor and Baldock. SB really gets the best out of Matty as his hold up and link up play is a level above most at our level.

It is noticeable how much better Matty Taylor plays with Baldock, Sam’s clever movement finds space for Matty and allows him to drift into places where the centre backs struggle to pick him up.

This season has been a weird one where Taylor has scored a huge amount of goals, but also had a good 5-6 games at least (that I can remember) where he’s been absolutely woeful, could barely pick a pass and done almost nothing. He’s a goalscorer at this level however and is almost guaranteed to get you 20 goals a season if you play him every game in a decent side. I haven’t yet seen him have a bad game when alongside Baldock though, which I think underlines the point that he’s less of a lone front man than he is a clever player to stick in a two with someone else decent.

Matty Taylor is an excellent player, a great finisher, with great ball control, skill, ability to hold the ball up and bring others into play and drops deep and links play with intelligent passes, and rarely loses the ball in doing so.

However, if we're just gonna adopt Sunday league tactics, and repeatedly hoof the ball in the air up to our little 5ft 7inch striker and then judge him when he has very little success against 6ft plus centre backs, then I despair!

It's happened a number of times this season and last season, and we should be feeling sorry for him that yet again he had such poor hoof ball tactics inflicted upon him yesterday.

Play to his strengths, and he's an outstanding player, who will score many goals, and provide assists, as he's proved again and again.

But play to his weaknesses, as we did yesterday, then he will inevitably have very little impact, but that's not his fault, and must be so frustrating for him, when he's made to play like that.

Matty Taylor is a leading contender for player of the season, again.

Disagree on that, the shot was the right option in both cases. That the shots were absolute sh*te is another thing, mind.
Obviously not the right option then ..and all the Ipswich players diving in towards the ball would gave Matty loads of space.
First he could have gone another 5/10 yards but both an intelligent pass would have been the right pass

Obviously not the right option then ..and all the Ipswich players diving in towards the ball would gave Matty loads of space.
First he could have gone another 5/10 yards but both an intelligent pass would have been the right pass
I agree with Berliner. He could have fluffed the pass too and that would have made it "not the right option". In fact exactly that happened a bit later. Another chance that he should have absolutely had a shot, but decided to pass instead, probably because his confidence was off, and it didn't work out.
For his chances, the shot was the right option but he needed to execute it better.

• React
Reactions: m
I agree with Berliner. He could have fluffed the pass too and that would have made it "not the right option". In fact exactly that happened a bit later. Another chance that he should have absolutely had a shot, but decided to pass instead, probably because his confidence was off, and it didn't work out.
For his chances, the shot was the right option but he needed to execute it better.

Totally agree.

With only the keeper to beat I'd hope any of our forwards would back themselves.

Henry against Wycombe?

Matty Taylor is an excellent player, a great finisher, with great ball control, skill, ability to hold the ball up and bring others into play and drops deep and links play with intelligent passes, and rarely loses the ball in doing so.

However, if we're just gonna adopt Sunday league tactics, and repeatedly hoof the ball in the air up to our little 5ft 7inch striker and then judge him when he has very little success against 6ft plus centre backs, then I despair!

It's happened a number of times this season and last season, and we should be feeling sorry for him that yet again he had such poor hoof ball tactics inflicted upon him yesterday.

Play to his strengths, and he's an outstanding player, who will score many goals, and provide assists, as he's proved again and again.

But play to his weaknesses, as we did yesterday, then he will inevitably have very little impact, but that's not his fault, and must be so frustrating for him, when he's made to play like that.

Matty Taylor is a leading contender for player of the season, again.
Spot on

Does anyone remember seeing Taylor in his first spell with us, was there much hope for him back then/any chatter that he might make it?

Does anyone remember seeing Taylor in his first spell with us, was there much hope for him back then/any chatter that he might make it?

I have vague memories of a sub appearance but I don't particularly remember any chatter. I remember chatter around Ty Marsh and Alex Fisher though.

I think I'm right in saying that he never started, and never scored in that first spell.

There was a bit of chatter, but I don't think anyone saw him turning into the sort of player he eventually did. Bit like Sam Ricketts a couple of years earlier in that respect!

Back
Top Bottom