Ex Player Les Taylor retires

mooro

Very best wishes to club legend Les Taylor on his retirement 50 years after joining the club as a youth teamer.

He has contributed so much to the club over that time as a player, then working within and, in time, heading up the youth system at the club through some very difficult times.

In particular, the way he spearheaded (with a little help from a few of us others) the fight to keep the youth system alive when Kassam wanted to close it down was a magnificent achievement. He took him on, and won.

His clever use of minimal resources over many seasons (especially as grants from within the game dwindle rapidly when a club falls outside the 92) enabled the system to stay afloat long enough to be in a position to be revived under the Lenagans, under whom he then oversaw the rebuild.

I think it's fair to say that Without him there would have been no system for the likes of COD, Sam Long, James Roberts, Shandon Baptiste and many more since to emerge from.

Thanks for everything Les, and enjoy your well earned retirement

He sure has been at Oxford a very long time.
He was a teriffic player for Oxford and of course went on to captain Watford in the FA Cup final.
I hasn't realised that he was so instrumental in keeping the Youth Team alive , and for that he deserves a lot if thanks

Have a good retirement Les, I remember him living in digs just round the corner from me growing up.Often seen on Southfield golf course, where me & my mates hanged out . As a player I liked you, & all the youth that was given the chance in those days . So it was nice for you to come back & give so much back to the club.All the best. Les Taylor!! Les Taylor!!

Back
Top Bottom